How do you manage your profiles for all the aircraft?

I just did a clean install of 1.2.6 and have gone into the controller setting and used the load function to get my keybindings back. The problem? It grays out most of the bindings so you can't touch em.

The only solution to this that I know of is to delete your input luas and manually rebind...every...single...key.

I have ALL the modules and don't want to go through this BS again. Rebinding all the aircraft takes hours...and that was before 1.2.6 and the extremely long response times of the GUI!

So my question is, what do you all use for your profile management needs? I have a TMWH and Saitek peddals. Does anybody have any magic up their sleeves they're willing to share?

Unfortunately thats the only way, I just had to redo mine they made input changes in the BS and add the MI8.

But the Black Shark is still bugged.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

So my question is, what do you all use for your profile management needs? I have a TMWH and Saitek peddals. Does anybody have any magic up their sleeves they're willing to share?

Same here. TARGET might have been the answer, but IMO it is seriously flawed and simply shouldn't be used, so my solution is to re-configure all the controls whenever I do a clean install.

There is a bit of magic, though: an SSD. Best investment ever, especially for DCS! :thumbup:

My loading times have decreased so much, it's almost unbelievable. With a standard 7200 rpm disk, I could go brew a cup of coffee and the sim would usually be done loading when I returned. With the SSD, loading is done around the time I get the TrackIR cap in place and the headphone seated on top of it. Loading times... what's that? :sorcerer:

I just make separate profiles with the Saitek profile editor, and use the profile to assign keystrokes to each joystick button. That way all I need to do is load up the Saitek profile for the specific aircraft, and everything works fine (as long as the default keys for the aircraft don't change). It was a bit tedious, but at least this way I only had to do a tedious thing once. ;)

--NoJoe

I have Target profiles for each aircraft, as well as other sims. In the case of DCS, I also save the config lua for each controller (per aircraft) and those are edited down to remove any controls that the particular controller does not use. For example, my A-10C Rudder lua only has three possible controls in it. After an update, I simply load my controller luas one at a time and I am done.

I don't have any reason to modify keyboard luas so most of the time changes don't affect me. If a control is added, that I need on a my stick, I just edit my saved stick lua to add the required line of code.

This method has served me well since the A-10C was released, and I own and use all of the aircraft (except some of the FC3 ones).

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Same here. TARGET might have been the answer, but IMO it is seriously flawed and simply shouldn't be used,

Can you elaborate on this?

I have Target profiles for each aircraft, as well as other sims.

Do you have to exit DCS every time you want to switch profiles or can you do it while in game?

Thanks for the responses all ~

I redo the controller luas. Not nice, when you had to edit the luas to have certain functions on the "dead" switch positions (e.g. flaps or boat switch).

And I only do it for the modules I currently play.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

Can you elaborate on this? ~

DCS makes extensive use of modifier keys. When I used TARGET for the A-10C module, I had problems with "stuck" modifier keys, so I gave up on TARGET.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

I do like this, CLEAR ALL assigments first (unblocks grayed fucntions) and redo everything from scratch for only planes I fly extensively. If I don't fly something often I do not fly it (do not configure it) at all.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

If I re-do all assignments from scratch, I do that:

Before installing/updating a new version, I make HTML all controllers (of every aircraft).

I open the HTML file in right monitor (or my laptop) and edit categories by looking at HTML file.

By the way this way can be useful; (at least for me!)

For example, talking about KA-50: In previous version, each category of Ka-50 can be saved separately for each controller.

In new version, the category can be checked if there's difference between versions. If not, the saved category can be loaded.

This may not necessary for Ka-50. We don't encounter key changing anymore. But it can be useful for being developed modules, such as Uh-1H and Mi-8MTV2.

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

I have saved profiles, which will hopefully keep on working—if keys change a little, I'm okay with not being able to change them as long as I can load my old profile. If they stop, I'll just have to re-do them. The most time-consuming part for me was working out how the bindings would go. Now I'd just have to reproduce them from my cheat sheets.

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

Same here. TARGET might have been the answer, but IMO it is seriously flawed and simply shouldn't be used,

Can you elaborate on this?

Sure. The biggest flaw, IMO, is the "Thrustmaster Combined" virtual controller that TARGET invariably sets up when it is run. As a TARGET user, I can't control how any sim "sees" the controllers. It's "Thrustmaster Combined", and that's that.

That means I can't switch between TARGET and non-TARGET profiles within DCS, because DCS can't register controller changes while it is running. As a consequence, I must either manage all DCS profiles with TARGET or none of them (if I wish to switch between aircraft without restarting DCS).

Next up we have this ancient DirectX limitation of 32 buttons and 8 axes per device. The Warthog (throttle and stick together) easily features more buttons than that, and with rudder pedals and toe brakes already reaches the axis limit. That's why TM has it register as two different devices - unless we use TM's own software, TARGET. That's completely FUBAR IMO.

Someone already made the point about stuck modifiers. I've had that happen ever since the F-16 FLCS, and the problem itself can easily happen with TARGET as well. It's not something TM can prevent, really. But it doesn't occur with DirectX buttons (or maybe it does, but a stuck DirectX button doesn't mess with keyboard input).

I think the ideal solution would be to use DirectX input only, and TARGET does offer very nice programming functions, but it's simply impossible to set up the Warthog as a DirectX only device with TARGET.

On a side-note, there are some annoyances within the script editor (like variable pitch fonts, loss of focus after alt-tabbing, non-automatic syntax-highlighting and so on) and a less than stellar documentation, but I can live with that. The combined device, though, is just beyond me.

Currently I've got my Black Shark profile set up with TARGET, and it works very well, and all other profiles set up in DCS. I really don't feel like re-creating a Warthog profile that works almost perfectly out-of-the-box, and as a result I can't switch between the Black Shark and any other module within the sim.

In essence, it's seriously flawed. :wallbash:

What? People rebind keymappings?

Apart from the axes there are like no reason to do that. I just have a decent cougar script for each module that I compile before starting the game.

I would never do anything in the keymapper just to have to redo it after patching.

Do you have a post somewhere explaining how you do this?