Monitor Configuration

i've got an old monitor around that i don't use for much when gaming, but it just occurred to me that it might be a valuable resource to my simming.

My question is: Other than exporting MFDs etc., what are you guys doing with your multiple monitor setups??

could i be using my old 720p monitor for more than just managing teamspeak and other programs while in game?

Thanks!

System Specs:

Windows 7 64 bit

Intel i7-4790k @4.0Ghz

Corsair H100i

16 gigs Gskill DDR3

2x Gigabyte GTX-970 G1 Gaming SLI

MSI z97 G5

500GB intel SSD

Corsair HX850

TPLink Wireless adapter

Qnix 27" monitor at 2650 x 1440

Controllers:

Saitek X52

CH Pro Rudder pedals

TrackIR 4

Modules:

A-10C, P-51D, Fw-190D9, Bf-109-K4, F-15C, UH-1H, Mi-8, C-101, Su-27, MiG-21BIS, MiG-15BIS, F-86F, Ka-50

Sweet looking setup! i may have to try something similar.

System Specs:

Windows 7 64 bit

Intel i7-4790k @4.0Ghz

Corsair H100i

16 gigs Gskill DDR3

2x Gigabyte GTX-970 G1 Gaming SLI

MSI z97 G5

500GB intel SSD

Corsair HX850

TPLink Wireless adapter

Qnix 27" monitor at 2650 x 1440

Controllers:

Saitek X52

CH Pro Rudder pedals

TrackIR 4

Modules:

A-10C, P-51D, Fw-190D9, Bf-109-K4, F-15C, UH-1H, Mi-8, C-101, Su-27, MiG-21BIS, MiG-15BIS, F-86F, Ka-50

The whole thing was an exercise in getting the greatest improvement in usability for the least amount of money. The setup has since been replaced by a touch screen, but when I built this, touch screens (even the crappy ones) were still $600+. This was built with about $15 worth of materials.

I figured since I lacked the time, space or money to build a proper simpit, I'd challenge myself to do it as cheap as possible instead.

I printed out an image of the UFC and the MFCD outlines on the heaviest paper my laser printer would accept. I laid the printout on top of a piece of monitor-sized foamboard. Then I punched holes for the buttons (soldered four pins into a piece of protoboard to use as the hole-punch tool), and stuck the buttons through. To help them stay in place during the next step, I placed a tiny dab of glue under each button.

I used a wire-wrap tool to connect everything without soldering (I was even too cheap to use a PCB -- and curious if I could get away with this). The wires go between the foamboard and the printout. For the UFC, I taped a second printout on top, to be able to see the labels on the buttons.

I wouldn't recommend this technique for the MFCDs, it takes too much time to wire up and the large amount of wires in a small space made them fail after a few months of use. But I'd still use the UFC if the whole thing hadn't been replaced by a $250 touch screen when Windows 8 came out and caused the prices of touch screens to drop significantly.

Edited by [FSF]Ian