Modern Bombers - Why Only Single Ship Flights?

Emmy

Because it is a new feature introduced in Openalpha (Normandy) and pretty much WIP.

The modern Bombers use the legacy AI commands...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Do modern bomber fly in formation now a day? Just wondering, I think I have only seen Bombers like the B-52 or B-1 on large formations with fighter for show of Force. I think even TU-160 and TU-95 are the same. I seen Tu-22 in formation of 2 aircraft.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

I don't think modern bombers would fly in larger groups, mostly because carpet bombing wouldn't be used anymore - there would be no tactical nor strategic advantage of that (today use of cluster munitions is illegal in most cases, and most of the ordnance dropped are smart bombs).

Besides it is fairly easy to set up a formation using the follow command, which gives you even more options than any preset one.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Do modern bomber fly in formation now a day? Just wondering, I think I have only seen Bombers like the B-52 or B-1 on large formations with fighter for show of Force. I think even TU-160 and TU-95 are the same. I seen Tu-22 in formation of 2 aircraft.

I've flown in formation a couple of times with two other bombers in formation...at the Edwards AFB airshow :pilotfly: ;) A Bone on one side and a Spirit on the other.

I've launched plenty of two ship Bone formations and talked to plenty of BUFF drivers that went in as three ships. All depends on the mission and the number of DMPI's to hit.

Most of the OEF/OIF/bomb the ME missions now are single ship on call ammo.

Doesn't mean that if you need to hit 100+ DMPI's without alerting someone by deploying 2 or more fighter squadrons to a neighboring country that you couldn't send a 2-3 ship B-1/B-2/B-52 package in from CONUS with little to no warning...