Fairchild AU-23 Peacemaker

This would be a fine fit with what we currently have, in my opinion. Served different roles, armed/unarmed, could also appeal to casual fliers in/out of DCS' hardcore base, and those looking for something of the fixed-wing variety for cargo runs in Blue Flag. It did have its issues though and only saw service with the US and Thailand, plus it was apparently rather fragile.

300px-Fairchild_AU-23A_Peacemaker_in_flight.jpg

220px-Fairchild_AU-23A_Peacemaker_with_XM197_20mm_cannon.jpg

• Like 1

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

Indeed, I agree :-)

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Seems like a fine plane to have if we are going to transport cocaine somewhere in South America

And not necessarily with our knowledge, do you perchance have some grenades procured from the black-market, sir? Check the bags, check all of them!

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

Perhaps allowing a flyable C-5, C-17 for those who want to be a part of the dcs world in a more casual manner. Wouldn’t be for me but I can see how it would be cool for those that like that type of flying.

Perhaps allowing a flyable C-5, C-17 for those who want to be a part of the dcs world in a more casual manner. Wouldn’t be for me but I can see how it would be cool for those that like that type of flying.

Well I picked this particular airframe for discussion because it was somewhat used in a light CAS role, or at least intended to be. Next to that was seeing the rather absurd inclusion of the P51 for recon and cargo runs on Blue Flag's NATO / Warsaw Pact conflict server, this to my mind is far more fitting.

-edit-

I would also like to see a C-123, but it's rather big to fill the current role people are using the P51 for on Blue Flag, and the C-123 wasn't armed, unless you count Agent Orange.

Edited by ouPhrontis

Seems like a fine plane to have if we are going to transport cocaine somewhere in South America

The drug deal went south, quick, throw the crack out the back, we need to lighten her to get off this mountainside!

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

-edit-

I would also like to see a C-123, but it's rather big to fill the current role people are using the P51 for on Blue Flag, and the C-123 wasn't armed, unless you count Agent Orange.

(A)C-47 anyone?

• 4 years later...

Sure, for pure purpose-built aircraft. But before and after the OV-10 there were and are other planes adapted quite well to COIN air.  The USAF had a whole motley fleet of them in the early years of Vietnam... Boxcars, Canberas, Raiderrs and such.

And more recently one could make the case that UCAV;s are more COIN than anything else. In Afghanistan and Iraq the Cessna Caravan got FLIR pods and Hellfires. There was even a variant of the P-51, offered with a turboprop and tip tanks, for COIN.  Then there was Puff the Magic Dragon, Spooky, Specter and so on. 

The Fairchild  gunship entry was definitely for COIN.... whether it was a success or not is debatable,  and seemed to not attract much interest.

Edited by Rick50