How do I use the radar?

fredclan

Maintenance Logbook:

1. A/A Radar not detecting most targets. Enemy closing from 80 miles as called By AWACS. Range and altitude parameters checked and double checked. No changes to search parameters and target suddenly appears around 25 miles. TACVIEW confirms target within search parameters entire time. Happens over and over again.

2. SA not displaying most targets as called by AWACS, They simply don't appear until radar detects them.

3. IFF not working, yes IFF and D/L are ON. Locked targets and unlocked targets, cursor over target on radar or SA display, confirmed sensor control depress mapping, no response,

All of these systems worked fine previously. I know there are reasons where these systems wont detect targets, i.e. terrain masking, notching etc but this is not the case. Ill be flying with F14s and F18s and the 14 has the targets and none of the 18s can pick them up.

Edited by fredclan
more squawks

How many bars you running on your scans?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Sorry for double post.

What difference does how many bars im running? I know more bars will slow scan down but if I know the range and altitude of the target and I put the cursor there, and the altitude window brackets the targets altitude, I should get a hit. I generally use 4 bar and switch to 2 for close work

So am I the only 1 with problems?
Probably not. I would say sometimes hornet's radar works inconsistently. One solution you might wanna try is switch to gun then switch it back to your previous missile. I know it's odd but somehow it works. Kinda like reset mechanism of the radar.

I also noticed weird behavior of DL. How can my closer radar contact could not be shown at SA while the long range one showed at SA, both flying at high altitude (tanker and AWACS).

Our AWACS flying orbit behind me.

Edited by Oceandar

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Sorry for double post.

What difference does how many bars im running? I know more bars will slow scan down but if I know the range and altitude of the target and I put the cursor there, and the altitude window brackets the targets altitude, I should get a hit. I generally use 4 bar and switch to 2 for close work

What you describe doing, doesn't always seem to work. IRL and in theory you are right, but I find that its inconsistent in the hornet.

The other "odd thing" might be your graphics settings, since they do effect sensor performance as I understand it. I.e. running high PD in VR reduces visual AND radar spotting range.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The other "odd thing" might be your graphics settings, since they do effect sensor performance as I understand it. I.e. running high PD in VR reduces visual AND radar spotting range.

What?? Any proof of this?

PC spec: i9 9900KS @ 5.1ghz, 32GB RAM, 2 TB NVME M2, RTX 3090

Peripherals: TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight Pedals, Rift S, Custom UFC