HUD Pitch Ladder

Shahriar0

I have a question regarding the pitch ladder in the HUD. How come the 0 degree pitch is not over the horizon line? (see the attached photo. The pitch ladder in VDI, the VSI, and the Attitude Indicator they all show level flight but the solid pitch ladder in the HUD, which I primarily use to fly, is way below the horizon line?

I understand it can be trimmed via the HUD TRIM, but shouldn't that be over the horizon line by default when a mission is started?

Thanks.

802465514_HUDpitchLadder.thumb.png.69a4c06db3a103a9edbb14d29bb630dc.png

In your picture the aircraft's water line actually is resting on the horizon line, but the representation of the aircraft's attitude has been artificially lowered in the HUD by five degrees to make it more readable by the pilot. This was a deliberate design choice by Grumman due to side effects of the HUD being projected directly onto the windscreen. The aircraft's true waterline, that is where the nose is actually pointing, is about where the heading carrot is.

This seems more extreme because in cruise and A/A mode, the representation of attitude is compressed so it shows every 30 degrees of attitude instead of every 5 degrees like in landing, take off, and A/G. Generally speaking this is a very early HUD, and is meant as a tool for weapons employment. It's not really intended to be precision navigation instrument like some later examples.

• Like 2

Thanks for the detailed explanation. As long as this was by design, I can live with that. I, myself, like to rest it on the horizon on cruise. It makes making level turns so much easier.

Our SMEs would sometimes turn it off during a case 1 to get all the distracting stuff out of the way, haha. :smilewink:

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

HUD Pitch Ladder

It eventually got a modern HUD called the SparrowHawk but those were only installed a couple years before retirement. What we have now represents what the plane looked like over pretty much the entirety of its service life.

IronMike, I don't see the HUD TRIM knob listed as function that can be mapped to keys (to raise and lower the pitch ladder.) Is it possible to support this so we are not forced to use mouse to control it? Having the ability to use Hotas would a great help for VR users, and much appreciated.

Thanks.

Check the input binding request list in the bug section and add it please, if it is not in already. We will do all inputs that are missing at the very end.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• 2 years later...

I'd suggest that the time to have the waterline be as accurate as possible is during the landing phase.  For that reason, I'd recommend setting the HUD waterline to match the actual horizon prior to launch (and prior to kneeling the jet), and then not touching it again for the duration of the flight, that way when you're in the landing pattern, you know you're getting good info.

• Like 1

F-18C/F-14/P-51/F-86 Pico4/Quest2 VR with Intel Core i9 3.0GHZ 24 -Core, 16GB, GeForce RTX 4070 ti

On 6/19/2020 at 11:41 AM, IronMike said:

Our SMEs would sometimes turn it off during a case 1 to get all the distracting stuff out of the way, haha. :smilewink:

damn i cant imagine trying to land it without needles or flight path marker

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

• 2 weeks later...

HUD ladder brightness knob doesn’t seem to do anything for me, am I missing something? Using MT version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

7 hours ago, Eagle7907 said:

HUD ladder brightness knob doesn’t seem to do anything for me, am I missing something? Using MT version.

I don't think it was was ever functional.  HUD brightness, yes, but not the pitch ladder brightness knob.

• Like 2

I don't think it was was ever functional.  HUD brightness, yes, but not the pitch ladder brightness knob.

Oh okay. Well, hopefully it will in the near future. Thanks!

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer