Vista w/ LockOn, another system running...

After installing Vista and LockOn:FC on my gaming laptop ( ATI9700 256Mb Pro Sager System, P4 3.4 Ghz, 2Gb ram, Raid-0) with no problems at all, and Flaming Cliffs running very well... I decided to try my hand on a brand new desktop box I just built.

This new one is a Core2Duo 2.66, 2 Gb SLI High Speed Ram, BFG 680i SLI motherboard with currently dual nVidia 7900's (later 8800's). I have to admit, things were not as easy as the laptop, but I have everything working great (HotasCougar, Ventrilo, TrackIR, CH ProPedals, etc..) and LockOn:FC running great except for one thing, a weird sound problem where I hear the engines really loud...even when they are off. Has anyone else encountered this sound issue and have a workaround?

The sound starts from the time you jump into the plane ( engines off ) until you get up to approx. 200 knots then it fades away, only to return later during normal flight.

Sounds as if the afterburners are on all the time. I will keep researching areas to see if I can resolve it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Microsoft Windows Vista x64 bit

Overclocked Intel Core2Duo @ 3.30GHz

6GB DDR Ram

Nvidia GTX280 1GB

DCS Blackshark Russian DVD Box and English Download

1920x1080 res. @ 37" Westinghouse LVM-37w3 1080P

Background image by Shrubbo.

After installing Vista and LockOn:FC on my gaming laptop ( ATI9700 256Mb Pro Sager System, P4 3.4 Ghz, 2Gb ram, Raid-0) with no problems at all, and Flaming Cliffs running very well... I decided to try my hand on a brand new desktop box I just built.

This new one is a Core2Duo 2.66, 2 Gb SLI High Speed Ram, BFG 680i SLI motherboard with currently dual nVidia 7900's (later 8800's). I have to admit, things were not as easy as the laptop, but I have everything working great (HotasCougar, Ventrilo, TrackIR, CH ProPedals, etc..) and LockOn:FC running great except for one thing, a weird sound problem where I hear the engines really loud...even when they are off. Has anyone else encountered this sound issue and have a workaround?

The sound starts from the time you jump into the plane ( engines off ) until you get up to approx. 200 knots then it fades away, only to return later during normal flight.

Sounds as if the afterburners are on all the time. I will keep researching areas to see if I can resolve it.

I'm not sure exactly what your problem is .. It sounds like you might have the auto throttle engaged....

Try hitting the j key while your in flight...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

What sound card do you use on the desktop pc? X-fi ?

There has been known sound issues with the x-fi and vista.

A friend of mine had similar sound issues with IL-2 when upgrading to vista.

But I think they relesased a new patch that would fix some of these things.

I use the onboard audio built into the BFG 680i SLI motherboard, which is the RealTek High Definition Audio. Drivers are loaded and working great, but that jet sound persists even when only one plane is in the sim, on the ground, with the engine off... and it is quite loud. I wonder if it has something to do with the sound codec and DX10 due to Vista.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

6GB DDR Ram

Nvidia GTX280 1GB

So far I think it is a LockOn issue since other games have no sound problems at all. Something with LockOn sounds engine staying on all the time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

6GB DDR Ram

Nvidia GTX280 1GB

Yea H4RM I have the same mobo except its built by EVGA, and on Vista it screws up the sound. I notice ED just put on their downloads page that 1.1 is not "Vista Friendly".

Oh? Wow, that's surprisingly new to me.

Is that not a bad idea, even though they probably can't help it, I mean now's the time of the year where a large portion actually are upgrading towards vista, and that's taking away a nice chunk of potential buyers.

SU-30MKI

simvavatarhornetqg8.jpg

F/A-18F

...Beauty, grace, lethality.

Is that not a bad idea, even though they probably can't help it, I mean now's the time of the year where a large portion actually are upgrading towards vista, and that's taking away a nice chunk of potential buyers.

I'm builduing a new system and theres no way im getting vista until threads like this one stop popping up :)

XP is kinda cheap now anyways and you can even get XP with a coupon of some sort to upgrade to vista when you feel your ready.

Of course if your computer came with it...but even then I still think I would format and use XP.

The problem on many many threads is explained here in layman's terms, regarding DirectSound (DX9 API). Basically it is the change in the audio stack within Vista. They did this to prevent crashing and BSOD's, etc... but this has created an issue that will be fixed soon, with 3D sound. That seems to be a big problem I and others have had with LockOn and Vista so far. I hear my normal engines, but the 3D sound effect is what you constantly hear. So hopefully they will fix this with drivers and such soon.

http://www.techwrighter.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=62&Itemid=42

After reading this I am extremely happy I never invested into some high end sound card, and was more than happy for years to use the onboard audio, built into motherboards.

Those of you with an X-Fi card are in luck. Creative has come up with a program they call ALchemy that converts your old DirectSound games to the new AL audio standard. (Get it, ALchemy? You see, it converts , you know, like an alchemist used to convert....oh forget it, why do I bother?) You can pick up a beta version of ALchemy here: http://preview.creativelabs.com/alchemy/default.aspx.

Some people it appears have gotten around this on some games by installing DX9 drivers on Vista per this quote:

"Answer: It appears some legacy DirectSound files built into other versions of Windows have been pulled in this release. HOWEVER. While I know this does not make some sense... if you grab the DX 9.0 redistributable files from Microsoft, and install this on Vista, the missing DS layers are returned.... "

Another great article:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/759/759538p1.html

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=435538

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

6GB DDR Ram

Nvidia GTX280 1GB

Yep the latest nvidia drivers sorted a lot of the graphics issues for me under vista32. Much better in this dept.

I have a creative X-fi and the audio in FC is horrible right now. Lots of work is still needed on the creative sound card drivers. All in all Vista is shaping up to be a decent gaming platform and the hardware vendors are improving drivers at a steady pace.

Out

I was getting tried of hearing people talk about Vista like it was "Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria."

I just upgraded yesterday and with the latest drivers I'm finding performance increases in Lock-On and other good stuff.

Ya think with all the crap everyone has been talking, Vista would have fried my computer and then started raping women in my neighborhood.

The code is probaly in Russian anyway.

It is sort of like blaming the stove when the cook burns the soup isn't it?

The Vista OS is the foundation, it is very stable and it is proving true that the hardware vendors early drivers are the main problem for gamers. And as I said these are now improving very rapidly. There are many who will likely wait for SP1 but I think from what I have seen so far it is becoming a good gaming OS rapidly and may actually be a great one well before that.

:thumbup:

Out

I personally have had nothing but good luck so far with Vista I believe. The games are faster and by just following logical steps to get legacy games ( yes Lomac is considered legacy) to work in compatibility mode... everything is working great. LockOn: FC, Hotas Cougar with FSSB-R2 mod, CH pro Pedals, TrackIR, etc . etc.

Other than the sound issue of the jets engine in the background all the time, its real good.

All I can say, is so far so good, I have Vista 32bit on 3 systems and no hair raising nightmares to report.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

6GB DDR Ram

Nvidia GTX280 1GB

Nope, best MS first release I have seen. Anyone remember when Win2000 came out, getting drivers was a nightmare for a long time.

Regarding the SoundCard. Well I used to not bother, and was more than happy with the onboard. Well I finially decided what the heck, and sure enough, I got a decent increase in FPS too, about 5.

+ I used to have problems with mic static and volume too low. With the X-Fi, the same mic is LOUD.

I will try the ALchemy program and see if that solves that.

What I hear is the same if you go into, I forget which file, but you can turn 3D on and off for each sound. It sounds like you turned 3D off for the engines and such.

Great find, sounds like this is the issue.

So I installed the ALchemy. Works like a charm. If you dont have creative, not sure maybe try it anyways?

Small problem I have now. FPS seem better in Vista, when I get time I will try and do some comprehensive tests. But load management is different than XP.

1. Procaff doesnt work, so you have to change affinity manually. And you have to find taskmgr.exe then right click and choose to run as administrator, otherwise you cant change affinity.

2. Even with affinity set to single processor, I still get occasionally some micro stutters, without affinity set, its constant. Its not that bad actually and may have to do with the ALchemy thing. What i do notice is processor % is not pegged at 100% like in XP, so maybe when its dropping below 100% I get the stutter?

a weird sound problem where I hear the engines really loud...even when they are off. Has anyone else encountered this sound issue and have a workaround?

I've the same problem and I believe that its because of 680i mainboard chipset which is using HD sound system. I'm looking for new drivers. :huh:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core i7-6700K, @5GHz | Asus Maximus Hero VIII | 2 x eVGA GTX 970 SLI | Kingston Predator 16GB DDR4-3000Mhz | 2 x Samsung 850 PRO 240GB RAID-0 | AOC G2460PG G-SYNC LCD | OCULUS RIFT CV1 VR | THRUSTMASTER HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO PEDALS

My Creative X-Fi was very expensive and I really like the sound quality that I'm getting from it while still in XP Pro...

There's still just to many things going on in Vista for me to go there..

Now I'm starting to hear some more positive feedback, which is a good thing..

But I'm not as skilled as you pioneers are. :lol: So I'm still going to wait..

When I do feel brave enough to venture in to the Vista waters... My plan is to upgrade to Vista premium and when its stable enough I'll look into Ultimate...

Has anyone actually tried out DX10 and is it available with Ultimate????

I was reading the back of the Ultimate box and did see a gaming level mentioned...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

So I installed the ALchemy. Works like a charm. If you dont have creative, not sure maybe try it anyways?

Small problem I have now. FPS seem better in Vista, when I get time I will try and do some comprehensive tests. But load management is different than XP.

1. Procaff doesnt work, so you have to change affinity manually. And you have to find taskmgr.exe then right click and choose to run as administrator, otherwise you cant change affinity.

2. Even with affinity set to single processor, I still get occasionally some micro stutters, without affinity set, its constant. Its not that bad actually and may have to do with the ALchemy thing. What i do notice is processor % is not pegged at 100% like in XP, so maybe when its dropping below 100% I get the stutter?

So where can you find alchemy and does it work with realtek hardware?

I'm sure that you can get it off the Creative web site.. Their site is a little maze like but you can find it.. but why if you don't have a Creative sound card would want to use this one ??

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR