Who knows how to set up a joystick?

fastfed

So I got this game a couple weeks ago now, trying to learn as much as I can on my own but its tough.

That being said, I have an X-52 Jstick, Saitek rudder pedals and trackIR5

I tried doing the profile thing, but for some reason my computer doesn't like it when a profile for the Jstick is loaded, it acts funny and locks the jstick up sometimes.

So I rather just do it manually, is it possible to get a list of what to set for my joystick?

Thanks guys!

It took me awhile to figure out why my Saitek x52 was such a damned pain in the ass, so I feel your pain Fastfed.

It's not the profile itself that is the issue, but the names given to the actions in the profile. The Saitek software will hang/crash whenever the name of the action you are doing goes over (I think) 12 characters. For example, if you have "Fire C" action named "Toggle Master Mode", the Saitek Profile manager is going to luck up. It's a really bizarre and annoying thing.

You need to be especially wary that some of the DEFAULT actions will cause this too. I remember that it took me days to figure out that the software profiler would crash whenever I tried to move the mouse with the... thumb nubbin' or whatever you want to call it, because the name of the action associated with it was "move mouse cursor". I renamed it "mouse" and everything was fine.

Anyhow, go over all the actions in your profile and rename them something really short! That solves all the issues and now I'm rather impressed with the Saitek x52 I have. Great little joystick, especially for its price!

Also as a tip for setting up your joystick as you fly more and more, you'll figure out your own preferences. Use the link Rivvern gave you as a starting point, but I found after awhile it was easier to start my own profile from scratch!

You can change it in game if you use the Saitek Profiler software and not the joystick options in DCS.

DCS is pretty friendly when it comes to alt+tabbing, and the Saitek Profiler is literally translating joystick commands to keyboard controls. So if you know that the HOTAS Master Mode key is "M" and you want to bind it to Fire button C, you can pause DCS, alt+tab to the Profiler, set that up, and jump back in.

Someone recommended going into DCS control options and wiping out all bindings to the joystick other than joystick axis controls, and then purely using the profiler software to emulate the keyboard commands you want. I've found that to work very well for myself.

Additionally once you get comfortable with the Profiler software you can do some nice macros. I've got my CMS program start and CMS program end commands set up nicely to use the weapons release button (big dopey button under the plastic cover) in Mode 2. When I press the weapon release button, it emulates pressing '7' once, this starts the CMS program. When I release the button, it emulates pressing '8' once which ends it. So when a SAM launches at me, I switch to mode 2, and press and hold the weapon release button for as long as I want my countermeasures to deploy. It's pretty sweet!

It's a lot to take in honestly, and it took me several weeks and a lot of Googling before I started getting comfortable. But it's really been worth it now!

So tomorrow I was going to spend a couple hours getting my jstick setup by going into the game,e and setting up each key 1 by 1 .. but from what it seems I'm better off erasing all jstick commands in game, printing out the key commands in the game and make my own profile in the jstick profile software and do it there instead ?

Thank

Additionally once you get comfortable with the Profiler software you can do some nice macros. I've got my CMS program start and CMS program end commands set up nicely to use the weapons release button (big dopey button under the plastic cover) in Mode 2. When I press the weapon release button, it emulates pressing '7' once, this starts the CMS program. When I release the button, it emulates pressing '8' once which ends it. So when a SAM launches at me, I switch to mode 2, and press and hold the weapon release button for as long as I want my countermeasures to deploy. It's pretty sweet!

...or you could just simply map CMS up and CMS aft commands (with pinki switch) to hat switch next to launch button. I think it's maybe a lot faster compare to change modes.

I have X52 Pro joystick.

"erasing all jstick commands in game"

...maybe if you have any problems with mapping keys, but in my case i had left them alone.

Ps. Sorry for my english.

X-52 I gave up with the programme that comes with it and I miss very little.

Uninstall it, define the keys from the game. Use the latch pinkie as a switch. You lose the rotary dials and the slider, but I find them bad anyway.

With he pinky switch I can get double the 8 way hats and replicate the real controller fairly closely. Once you can get all that you can properly get hands away from the keyboard.

I tried sticking zoom on the thumb rotary but it constantly twitches so I gave up with rotaries on the X52. Controller is excellent though.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

I have a X52 stick. Don't use the profiler! It's rubbish, it crashes and is generally just a PITA! If you've installed it, uninstall your drivers and all Saitek software then reinstall just the stick drivers.

You can map everything you need and more using the in game controls. If you would like to try out my profile I'd be happy to send you it over.

I guess I'm crazy, 'cause I actually like the Profiler software, at least I do now. I did hate it at first!

I wonder if my Saitek is a little busted up, because I really don't like the pinky switch (which is why I use the Modes a lot). I have to squeeze the SHIT out of it to make it work. I do use it for a few things in latch mode, but I prefer the different modes otherwise.

Mode 1 = most frequent controls

Mode 2 = Less frequent controls

Mode 3 = take off/landing specific controls.

To each their own of course!

HOLY MOTHER @#%$@#$%^#$^

I am going to lose my mind.

This @#$%#$^ joystick SUCKS!!!!!!

Well not the Joystick but the software.

It's so @#$%@#$% UP!!!

It locks up my computer half the time, the other half of the time it doesn't work, sometimes it will kill my internet connection..

Seriously WTF kind of junk is this is if it can lock up your internet !!

GOD DAMN IT!!

So what other options do I have here??

I do NOT want to use the saitek garbage software, its horrible!

And yes I have the latest drivers/software, it all SUCKS!!

Do I have to do this in the game for each key command??

Could be you need to run profile in administrator mode.

Also it could be a problem with default setup in option, every device is set up like a joystick, so if your pedals act like a joystick , the plane behave strange when you use them.

i5 4670 - Sabertooth Z87- GTX Titan - Dell U3011 30" - 2x8GB RAM 1800 - Samsung 840 EVO 512GB SSD - Warthog HOTAS - CH Pro pedals - TrackIR5 - Win7 64bit

EVERYTHING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE :thumbup:

Also, are you running the profile software from the CD that came with it? Don't.

Download it and the latest driver from here for Windows 7 64bit.

ftp://ftp.saitek.com/pub/software/full/Saitek_X52_Flight_Controller_SD6_64.exe

ftp://ftp.saitek.com/pub/software/full/Smart_Technology_7_0_2_7_64bit.exe

Here for windows 7 32bit

ftp://ftp.saitek.com/pub/software/full/Saitek_X52_Flight_Controller_SD6_32.exe

ftp://ftp.saitek.com/pub/software/full/Smart_Technology_7_0_2_7_32bit.exe

Their software changed a lot over the the last few years. From my experience their latest software is very good and very stable. I've had no trouble with it at all and I've run it on multiple machines. It's pretty easy to download the wrong ones from their site.

-Download my profile http://www.sendspace.com/file/a0r2bx

-Open up a new profile in the editor and check what the file path is for the default save location.

-Move the profile you downloaded to there. Now when you right click on the Saitek driver icon in the task tray you will see that profile there.

-You can have multiple profiles and you just click which one you want to use.

-The profile name will come up on the screen on your throttle.

If the screen in your throttle doesn't light up when you plug the USB in it means the driver didn't install correctly or you installed the wrong one.

Edited by Zomba

I don't test for bugs, but when I do I do it in production.

Thanks for the help.. lol, My computer needed a format anyway, so after getting so frustrated, I went and formatted everything..

Nice and fresh and the profile is now working.

I downloaded the one from this site

DCSA10 X52 V2 profile

It seems to work ok,

now I need some training :)

Thanks again!

I would not recommend using the profile software at all. You can bind everything you need in the game.

And then a patch will roll. Or, as we have now, integration with another product. And you lost all your bindings.

Or you change the USB port you controller is plug into, you lost all settings.

Or you have to reinstall your computer, or are migrating to a newer one, once a again, you lost all your settings.

I personaly would recommend using the profiler, and not the in-game bindings.

BTW, the profile you attached will not work for anyone else, but you. Why? Because the code in the { } is a OS generated UID for the USB device the profile is bound to. If you plug your controller to another usb the OS will generate another UID for it and DCS will thus recognize it as anothe controller and will not use the profile. If you plug the controller in another PC, the OS will, once again, assing a totally different UID..

...the profile you attached will not work for anyone else, but you. Why? Because the code in the { } is a OS generated UID for the USB device the profile is bound to. If you plug your controller to another usb the OS will generate another UID for it and DCS will thus recognize it as anothe controller and will not use the profile. If you plug the controller in another PC, the OS will, once again, assing a totally different UID..

OK. But IF he wanted to use it, couldn't he just copy/paste the OS generated UID for his current profile in place of the one Zomba provided?

Rich

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

The reason I asked was that, at one point, the common wisdom was to set up everything through the sim and not use the particular joystick's programming. But that was awhile ago.

Rich

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

And then a patch will roll. Or, as we have now, integration with another product. And you lost all your bindings.

Or you change the USB port you controller is plug into, you lost all settings.

Or you have to reinstall your computer, or are migrating to a newer one, once a again, you lost all your settings.

I personaly would recommend using the profiler, and not the in-game bindings.

BTW, the profile you attached will not work for anyone else, but you. Why? Because the code in the { } is a OS generated UID for the USB device the profile is bound to. If you plug your controller to another usb the OS will generate another UID for it and DCS will thus recognize it as anothe controller and will not use the profile. If you plug the controller in another PC, the OS will, once again, assing a totally different UID..

Not had an issue with that. I back up my settings before applying a patch or doing a reinstall.

This is wrong.

The GUID is generated by Windows upon recognition of the device, true. But its the same everytime, no matter what USB port you use. It's also the same if you reinstall. Trust me, I've done it plenty of times. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise that if the GUID is different for the your controller, you just rename the lua file to the same as your current controller.