Few questions on SPI, TGP, bomb usage, and CMS

JayPee

SPI

If I turn the laser on prior to setting an SPI, will the laser override the use of elevation data, and create the SPI at the point where my LOS collides with an object, instead of on the ground?

TGP

I seem to struggle a bit with picking orbit positions. Most of the time the TGP is looking at my fuselage, wing, or ordnance with only small time windows in which I can see my target area.

What are the best altitudes, slant ranges, and banking angles pilots use?

If you're carrying your TGP on the right side, is it generally better to bank right or left? I'd say right but I'm not sure.

I've seen pictures of Hogs carrying the TGP on stations 3 and 9, is the station related to this subject? If so, why does DCS limit the TGP to 2 and 10?

Last but not least, the manual shows a picture of an

RL green monochrome TGP display, not a grey one?

bombing

This might be over simplistic thinking, but when modernised precision ordnance is available, why still use dumb bombs? In fact, why still use self lased LGBs when we've got JDAMS? I'd argue dumb bombs are cheaper and therefore preferred when accuracy is not a big issue but then I doubt if money is a factor when it comes to effectiveness.

CMS

This is the last section, I promise..!

I know the SEMI and AUTO setting use these four programmes:

A: low intensity of chaff for gen. 1 RADAR SAMs

B: high intensity of chaff for gen. 2 RADAR SAMs

C: high intensity of flares for IR SAMs

D: normal instensity of chaff and flares for "unknown/misc."

If I change the first four programmes, will the SEMI/AUTO setting look for a suitable programme past D?

What is considered "unknown/misc."?

I was thinking of customizing these programmes, but only if SEMI/AUTO looks past programme D:

A: 1, 0, 0.5, 10 for gen. 1 RADAR

B: 2, 0, 0.25, 10 for gen. 2 RADAR

C: 0, 1, 0.25, 10 for IR

D: 2, 1, 0.25, 10 for unknown, assuming the worst: gen 2. RADAR and IR both in the area.

E: 0, 1, 1, 10, preemptive for IR during ingress/egress/strafing; plume or incoming tone --> immediately to A, B, C, or D, depending on what I know.

Any contribution to my learning is greatly appreciated!

Edited by JayPee

i7 4790K: 4.8GHz, 1.328V (manual)

MSI GTX 970: 1,504MHz core, 1.250V, 8GHz memory

Just some quick points on 3

Dumb weapons are cheap and they're sitting in your inventory. This isn't something the pilot cares about really, but higher command will. So basically as an A-10C pilot, you'll always want smart bombs. As a commander (or mission maker), you might want to save guided weapons for when they're needed sometimes. Especially if the good stuff is in limited supply for some reason.

LGB's are good at hitting moving targets, JDAM's aren't

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

JDAM is a GPS bomb and is not used against a moving target , rather a fixed point on the ground whereas , a GBU-10/12 is a laser guided munition and can track a target illuminated by your or other A/C if illuminated with laser .

I guess the dumb bomb argument comes down to money . Why drop a LGB on a fixed target when you have a brilliant launch vehicle under your ass ..... Im sure a MK.82/84 is accurate enough .

PGMs often aren't much good when you're down at 300ft or less trying to hide from enemy fighters or air defence systems. In a high theat environment good old dumb bombs can actually be the better choice.

PGMs are also less numerous and are more demanding from a logistical standpoint. They are after all the same old dumb bombs with kits added, and the guidance kits come seperate to the "bomb" and fuse etc and must be built prior to being available for loading to aircraft. Although this is true of all weapons, PGMs are just have another layer to deal with, such as the extra air freight capacity for the PGM kits.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

TGP: if installed on the right wing, bank right. This way the TGP is masked only if the target is to the right as the wing tip is in the way. If you would bank left, the target would be masked if it was to the left of the TGB - but then masked by the whole plane. Therefore: right banking = lesser masking.

dumb bombs: I was researching the costs of my loadouts (http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=112188). Example: GBU-12 19000 USD, GBU-38 63000 USD, and now behold, MK-82 270(!) USD. If collateral damage is no factor, imagine how many dozend MK-82 you can try to drop on the target - even if 75% miss it - for one JDAM or Paveway ... :o)

SPI

If I turn the laser on prior to setting an SPI, will the laser override the use of elevation data, and create the SPI at the point where my LOS collides with an object, instead of on the ground?

It will still overwrite after SPI is set, as the LASER is the accurate target information.

TGP

I seem to struggle a bit with picking orbit positions. Most of the time the TGP is looking at my fuselage, wing, or ordnance with only small time windows in which I can see my target area.

What are the best altitudes, slant ranges, and banking angles pilots use?

If you're carrying your TGP on the right side, is it generally better to bank right or left? I'd say right but I'm not sure.

I've seen pictures of Hogs carrying the TGP on stations 3 and 9, is the station related to this subject? If so, why does DCS limit the TGP to 2 and 10?

Best way for target aquisition is from ~20nm away at an angle between 20° and 60°, depending on the path you want to take and the time you want to have toll you reach the targetzone. If you fly high enough (If you have AirSuperiority you shouldnt fly under 14k ft) you barely have problems when you get close, because the TGP looks down enough.

I usually turn TGP-Wing down, as you have to have a way higher bank for the opposite turn. Ofc there is no angle/distance/alt where you can circle and always see your target, but that is just not neccessary. If you get close and are not ready for ingress, just turn away and scan the area while flying away from it.

bombing

This might be over simplistic thinking, but when modernised precision ordnance is available, why still use dumb bombs? In fact, why still use self lased LGBs when we've got JDAMS? I'd argue dumb bombs are cheaper and therefore preferred when accuracy is not a big issue but then I doubt if money is a factor when it comes to effectiveness.

Has been answered I guess... But my 2 cents:

Dumb bombs are way more fun, and in case of realistic flying: cheaper!

JDAMS are nice, but not as accurate as LGB's and only able to engage static targets.

CMS

This is the last section, I promise..!

I know the SEMI and AUTO setting use these four programmes:

A: low intensity of chaff for gen. 1 RADAR SAMs

B: high intensity of chaff for gen. 2 RADAR SAMs

C: high intensity of flares for IR SAMs

D: normal instensity of chaff and flares for "unknown/misc."

If I change the first four programmes, will the SEMI/AUTO setting look for a suitable programme past D?

What is considered "unknown/misc."?

I was thinking of customizing these programmes, but only if SEMI/AUTO looks past programme D:

A: 1, 0, 0.5, 10 for gen. 1 RADAR

B: 2, 0, 0.25, 10 for gen. 2 RADAR

C: 0, 1, 0.25, 10 for IR

D: 2, 1, 0.25, 10 for unknown, assuming the worst: gen 2. RADAR and IR both in the area.

E: 0, 1, 1, 10, preemptive for IR during ingress/egress/strafing; plume or incoming tone --> immediately to A, B, C, or D, depending on what I know.

Unknown/misc is for the case a missile comes out of the blue while beeing radarlocket for example. So the system cant accurately determine what kind of missile approaches you.

I personally hate semi mode, and much more auto. I altered the corresponding lua-file to add my own Profiles. This way I waste less countermessures while having the control over everything. It's a bit messy because getting launched at is a stressful situation, so every bit of workload off the pilot is nice, but since automode is near to jettison and semi-profiles don't suite me...

I dont know if the semi/auto adapt to entered / altered profiles, but I'd say no. So I didn't change the standard profiles, but added my own at the End of the List.

I dont know if the semi/auto adapt to entered / altered profiles, but I'd say no. So I didn't change the standard profiles, but added my own at the End of the List.

From what I have gathered from the .lua files is that the (semi)automatic mode only chooses between the programs A, B and L. It is hard-coded which of these are applied for which threat. So if you change these programs, they should still be selected automatically.

bombing

From a purely fun oriented perspective, PGMs are boring as all hell after the first few dozen. Oh look, I dropped a JDAM, I feel so satisfied. :cry:

If you can drop a ripple of Mk-82s and hit what you mean to hit without flying into your own frag pattern, without being shot to pieces while doing it, and without over-Ging your aircraft on the escape maneuver... well I'd rank that amongst the most satisfying feelings DCS: A-10C gives me. Compared to that JDAMs feel like I'm in game mode.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

boring as all hell after the first few dozen. Oh look, I dropped a JDAM, I feel so satisfied. :cry:

If you can drop a ripple of Mk-82s and hit what you mean to hit without flying into your own frag pattern, without being shot to pieces while doing it, and without over-Ging your aircraft on the escape maneuver... well I'd rank that amongst the most satisfying feelings

When you're 3 years old, you're happy you can drink your glass of soda without spoiling. When you're 28 years old, you're happy you survive 14 beers and 4 whisky cokes.

Right now, I'm 3 years old. :smilewink:

i7 4790K: 4.8GHz, 1.328V (manual)

MSI GTX 970: 1,504MHz core, 1.250V, 8GHz memory