Airbase Lighting

Grimes

Not sure if it has been stated before, but how long would it take for this

Screen_120106_140021.jpg

To get converted to this?

Screen_120106_140217.jpg

The old airbase lights are one of the few aspects of the sim that still scream out, "this was in Lock-On". The new lights look simply amazing, even more so compared to the old lights. Not to mention when you are on the ground taxiing, the old lights look like floating orbs of power. I understand if ED is revamping all of the older airbases for a future release, but replacing the lights would be a welcome holdover.

Edited by Grimes

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

• 11 months later...

So, how would you like to see ?

v1. - "Old" airfields with new (similar) lights and with halo around runway lights

v2. - "Old" airfields with new (similar) lights but without halo around runway lights - same as "New" airfields

v3. - v1. plus halo around runway lights on "New" airfields too

http://forum.lockon.ru/showpost.php?p=1630675&postcount=259

7l2tZ.jpg

Atop the midnight tarmac,

a metal beast awaits.

To be flown below the radar,

to bring the enemy his fate.

HAVE A BANDIT DAY !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong." - R. Buckminster Fuller (1895 - 1983), American Architect, Author, Designer, Inventor, and Futurist

Uni-directional runway lights will only give off a halo effect in certain weather conditions e.g. Fog. So for the most part v2 would get my vote.

Nice to see someone giving runway lighting some love and affection. Nice one!

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

My vote goes to...... Azerbeijan!... oh wait, this is not Eurovision Song Contest :D

(just kidding) ;)

And 12 points go to......:

v2. - "Old" airfields with new (similar) lights but without halo around runway lights - same as "New" airfields

No longer active in DCS...

V2 Please :)

Remember the 346 Fire Fighters, Medics & Police who died on 9-11.......

Selective memory is a wonderful thing, especially when certain posts simply disappear into the ether never to be seen again, unless I have a copy of the original post copied and pasted into word documents and saved .... just in case :)

Am I an abusive idiot ?

Due to physical incapacity my Wife types my post's for me

• 1 month later...

maximum distance IRL

OK Folks, v2 is on the corner, but i have a question: ( principally from real pilots )

Who can tell what is the maximum distance where the runway/approach lights already visible from the sky in a clean/clear night ?

I think ideal conditions for catch the approach lights early/quickly:

no humidity, no fog, no clouds - runway is not close to the sea/ocean

no big city lights - no sorrounding lights around airport/airbase

and of course early/far position on the extension of the glide slope (to catch the sequential flashing directional lights which is the most visible/brightest/conspicuous/garish point in the night IMHO)

Atop the midnight tarmac,

a metal beast awaits.

To be flown below the radar,

to bring the enemy his fate.

HAVE A BANDIT DAY !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong." - R. Buckminster Fuller (1895 - 1983), American Architect, Author, Designer, Inventor, and Futurist

• 2 months later...

What ever happened to this? Has any progress been made?

I'm still plagued by ugly airport lights... :P

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat