HOWTO: Radio Mayak, its back !!

pappavis

This HOWTO demonstrates howto broadcast commercial radio station aka. Radio Mayak in DCSWorld. Tested with the Ka-50. Its per-mission.

What you need;

* Some mission editor experience.

* A tool which can create OGG-vorbis sound files (audacity, for example)

Steps;

1. Start Audacity. Create, or convert an appropriate sound file, of say.. 15 minutes playing time, save in OGG-format .

2. Start DCSWorld, choose mission editor.

3. Create a triggerzone 'RadioMayak' of 30km radius around Maykop airbase.

4. Create a once-off trigger '4 mission start'

* type=Coalition has aerodrome, aerodrome=Maykop Khanskaya

* action=flag 1, value=On

6. Create another Once Trigger, No Event, condition=Flag is true (1), then select Action-->

Radio transmission, then choose <<file you created>>, zone='Radio Mayak', value=FM, loop=on, frequency=103400, power=200

5. Add a Pilot flyable Ka-50 taking off from ramp at Maykop.

6. Save the mission.

7. Start the mission, tune radio to 103,400Mhz FM and.. low & behold.. RADIO MAYAK!!! :D:D

tested with Ka-50, might work with P-51D with adjustments to LUA-scripts.

Edited by pappavis
  • Like 1

met vriendelijke groet,

Михель

"умный, спортсмен, комсомолетс"

[sIGPIC]159th_pappavis.jpg[/sIGPIC]

[TABLE]SPECS: i9-9900K 32gigs RAM, Geforce 2070RTX, Creative XFi Fata1ity, TIR5, Valve Index & HP Reverb, HOTAS Warthog, Logitech G933 Headset, 10Tb storage.[/TABLE]

Great idea, pappavis.

Only downside I see to this is the fact that the radio OGG file is mission centric, which means that you would have to include the soundtrack with every mission in which you included this feature. This would up the size of missions (not to mention download speeds for clients) and potentially distribute licensed media without authorization.

However, as a fan of Radio Mayak, I love the idea. Hopefully the folks who do MIST could code something like this, but with an external script that calls an open source media player and a playlist. This way, you would need only call the script in your mission with the 30km trigger zone to get it working again.

A few months ago, I decided to create a "radio station" that would resemble one of the GTA radio stations, basically. We could have fake adds for things like "Digital Combat Farming Simulator", or I could rip some fake adds from GTA; instead of ABC or CNN radio news, it would feature Onion radio news; instead of real songs, it would play stuff like "White and Nerdy". The radio's callsign would be WRZN, the Warzone. The sounds would be compressed using either a very high compression .ogg or a GSM .wav codec, so I could get about 30 or 40 minutes into 3 or less MB.

Anyway, this is all very doable, and could be a fun diversion for pilots on long ingress/egress flights.

Unfortunately, with all the other stuff I had going on, I was never able to finish it.

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

I love the idea given I owned every module but did not discover Mayak except after newer modules. Maybe ED feared copyright issues and trashed it because of that.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Well, even a trigger that can call a file or all files from a specific directory would enable the mission builder to use what is installed with DCS World... great to reduce miz file sizes and if ED or the community come up with a collection of royalty free music... :thumbup:

I like the RadioStream option as well.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Falcon BMS does something where a hidden menu in the UFC/DED will control a WinAmp playlist from within the game, even putting the track name in the DED. That sounds like too much to ask for with DCS, but the base implementation of a trigger calling an external media player and playing the current playlist might be just what the Doctor ordered. This way, we could choose our own radiostream, playlist, etc.

Now, if you could rig this up to an on-line radio station that would be great..

^^ this, would be awesome.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

would be cool if one could open a TCP port using LUA, then push a stream to the DCS World engine.

met vriendelijke groet,

Михель

[TABLE]SPECS: i9-9900K 32gigs RAM, Geforce 2070RTX, Creative XFi Fata1ity, TIR5, Valve Index & HP Reverb, HOTAS Warthog, Logitech G933 Headset, 10Tb storage.[/TABLE]

• 2 weeks later...

Even just taking the IL-2 or Orbiter route of hooking it up to a folder where you could put your own collection of MP3s would be awesome. I feel like such a bum running a music player in the background.

For when it goes wrong: Win10x64, GTX1080, Intel i7 @3.5 GHz, 32GB DDR3, Warthog HOTAS, Saitek combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5 / Vive Pro, a case of Pabst, The Funk

• 4 weeks later...
Hmm, that's not that hard.

..and into the Radio Frequency simulation? Pleeease! That would be awesome!:thumbup:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

... I feel like such a bum running a music player in the background.

Me too!

I was semi-joking about the Pandora thing, but it truly would be an awesome app if I could run it through the Ka-50.

I did a Cross-country flight last week with my station on and it was like going for a relaxing car ride. :)

would be cool if one could open a TCP port using LUA, then push a stream to the DCS World engine.

..and into the Radio Frequency simulation? Pleeease! That would be awesome!:thumbup:

+1, Now this would be great, C0ff if you could get this included, it would be stunning. I think it was a real shame when we lost Radio mayak the first time round.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

This way one could have TARS-like funcitonality in the sim itself.

met vriendelijke groet,

Михель

This sort of thing currently works in IL2 by having sound files in a specified directory for a radio tower object and when your in the air you can tune in and its there playing away.

Why call external apps? As mentioned already above its a system that works fine.

Hawk_5

Modules:

A10C, BS2, FC3, P51, CA, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2

System:

Gigabyte GA-X79UP4 MB, intel 3930k, Coolermaster Siedon 120M liquid cooled, Corsair Vengence Red 16GB 2133Mhz, Gigabyte Geforce GTX680 2GB Super o'clk, intel 520 SSD 240GB,

Seagate Barracuda 2TB HD, Coolermaster Silent Pro 800W PS, Coolermaster CM690 II Case

• 2 weeks later...

Radio Mayak also works in DCS: UH-1H :)

met vriendelijke groet,

Михель

A few months ago, I decided to create a "radio station" that would resemble one of the GTA radio stations, basically. We could have fake adds for things like "Digital Combat Farming Simulator", or I could rip some fake adds from GTA; instead of ABC or CNN radio news, it would feature Onion radio news; instead of real songs, it would play stuff like "White and Nerdy". The radio's callsign would be WRZN, the Warzone. The sounds would be compressed using either a very high compression .ogg or a GSM .wav codec, so I could get about 30 or 40 minutes into 3 or less MB.

Anyway, this is all very doable, and could be a fun diversion for pilots on long ingress/egress flights.

Unfortunately, with all the other stuff I had going on, I was never able to finish it.

GREAT IDEA RE: commercials. I just created a "radio station" in my test mission and like you said it made the mission over 60MB, I rendered it (in sony vegas) at the highest setting which I think was unnecessary. If you already have those commercials recorded I could use them.

Anyone know if you can get it to work with the A10?

I have only gotten it to work with the Ka50 so far.

Sure can, in whichever mission you'd like either do it the way indicated in the first post or (as I did) have one of your friendly units transmit a combined .WAV or .OGG file. So to be clear select unit,set freq (I set mine to 40 FM but any freq in the AM or FM will work),set transmit message,in the file box select your file. When you're in the pit tune to the same freq as set in the mission editor.

I used sony vegas to combine all the songs into one .OGG file but i'm sure there are free programs to do the same. Feel free to download my test mission and look at the unit labeled "radio" and see the options I have set. Tested with the hog, the shark, and the Huey.

This works fine in SP, but if a client joins after the transmission has started it is not heard. I've tried with both the RADIO TRANSMISSION trigger and ground unit transmission.

Anyone been able to get it working in MP?

Very cool! I did it with a test ogg file already in DCS World and it worked fine with the R-800.

I am not able to get it to work with the R-828... is it possible?

You'd have to assign the "transmit message" to one of the preset channels in the R-828 radio. Off the top of my head i'm not sure what those channels are. I've not testing the radio station idea in MP so I'll get back to you that one. You may have to have multiple units broadcasting on diff channels for more than one player to pick it up? I'm not sure. Also if you have to tune to a channel besides 1 then you have to hold down the tune button on the R-828 radio to tune it to the new channel.

Normaly when we use TARS we use the R-828 for inflight comms and have the lead tuned into the intraflight R-800. I say the lead's too busy to hear music anyways :thumbup: