Bugs: 2 a-a, 1 a-g

Gazehound

1. When you switch to GRID mode (9) in a russian jet, you cannot get any other HUD display back, including NAV & all combat modes. The only time you can fix it is when you are in a frogfoot and you turn power off and on again.

2. When you have iron bombs selected as your weapon in a flanker, and you go below the minimum launch altitude (you get 'NOL' flashing and the pipper goes to the top of the hud), selecting a rocket launcher does not change the HUD. You must re-select bombs, and re-attain an allowed release solution in order to refresh the HUD. This is annoying because this is when you want to use rockets sometimes. Mostly actually.

3. It seems that AI tomcats set to excellent can drop your radar lock by flying straight at you and not maneuvering (or jamming of course!). This happens often in BVR engagements at close range as well as long, nose-on and without the player maneuveing, at all altitudes, and when the F14 is not lower than you even. Im all for AI planes getting out of lock but when they do it by magic it takes the pee, they may as well not do it at all.

• Like 1

• ED Team
1. When you switch to GRID mode (9) in a russian jet, you cannot get any other HUD display back, including NAV & all combat modes. The only time you can fix it is when you are in a frogfoot and you turn power off and on again.

It's all right. ;) Just press "8" (not "9") one more time. :)

2. When you have iron bombs selected as your weapon in a flanker, and you go below the minimum launch altitude (you get 'NOL' flashing and the pipper goes to the top of the hud), selecting a rocket launcher does not change the HUD. You must re-select bombs, and re-attain an allowed release solution in order to refresh the HUD. This is annoying because this is when you want to use rockets sometimes. Mostly actually.

To use bombs under alowed altitude use "alt+W" combination. But try to avoid blast waves. ;)

Best Regards, Dmitry.

"Чтобы дойти до цели, надо прежде всего идти." © О. Бальзак

The first is a feature rather than a bug - the Grid has been modified to be more realistic.

It overrides whichever actual function is going on . . . . which is apparently the way it should work. Your HUD functionality dies, you flick an override switch, and the Grid is lit up on the HUD. Entirely different method of operation, NOT a HUD mode in itself.

Not sure about the other two.

Back to the radar lock issue..

Here we see a typical situation after the initial pheonix dodging. In this case the lock dosent drop as I have EOS lock we are that close! - however the f14 is higher than me and I cannot get launch authorisation at all for an ER shot from within the NEZ. I held this position for about 3 seconds with no LA. As you can see we are nose->nose (the f14 is launching an aim-9).

So what is the deal here ED? Have you lazily programmed the AI to evade locks randomly at high difficulty levels? If so that stinks, they should manouvre to evade lockup, as usual this fool drove straight at me the whole time. (It reminds me of the crud that EA sports produce, where a e.g basketball team on a high level will do exactly the same as it would at lower levels but score a higher % and you less).

So come on ED you produce great stuff dont spoil it with this kind of AI.

It would help if your radar was ON. ;)

You have the T, which means you're tracking with EOS, but there's no N which signifies the radar, meaning you're tracking thermally and not providing guidance for the R-27ERs.

n00b! ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

NooB y0u lol :D

So I locked hit from 90km with EOS? How did my radar switch itself off? I was nowhere near the I key! It says BVR still down the bottom, and I used that all the way. I'd remember using eos bvr mode. And i wouldnt anyway head on! Maybe Ill record a track next time eh?

Eos takes over when you are losing lock - normally you see the N flicker off when eg an online pilot beams you low and close. So yes Im tracking thermally as I said, but should be maintaining a stable radar lock.

Sometimes the bahavior of the avionics can be confusing in the russian birds.

If the radar loses the target, the system will atetmpt to continue tracking via EOS (And vice versa). I think you may have lost radar lock at medium range and with the F-14's afterburners on, the EOS kept tracking it. Just an assumption on my part at to what happened.

You may regain radar lock in some cases, but the system won't attempt reacquiring radar lock once it has lost it for good, AFAIK - in the game anyway, I don't know how the real thing is mechanized.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Thanks for that. Yes, radar is switching off completely and denying lock. But ive never seen it against any other jet.

Its the manner in which I am losing lock on them that concerns me, at medium-close range, lower alt, head on, always excellent AI tomcat.. The original post was prompted by me just out side the NEZ, firing, losing lock, locking again, firing, losing lock, lock again, fire a third, lose lock and die (aim-7).

Does the 14 have a relatively low RCS? I cant imagine it does.

Well it wasn't designed to be LO, but frontal aspect presents some of the lowest RCS, but this shouldn't cause a problem. Record a track, that would be the best thing to do.

ANyway, when he gets in that close, just pop an ET at him.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The F14 was the plane I practiced against when starting to learn BVR (plenty of time to get out of the way & nice big trails off the AIM 54s). They do have a tendency to throw your lock while they're just flying straight at you - if they're somewhere between 1 & 2 o'clock & within 1000m of your altitude, then at about 50km the circle around the circle indicating the direction to the target will start flashing & the lock will drop. Get them back under the designator & they lock back up again.

Never thought of it as a bug, just a peculiarity of the radar.

Maybe it is ...

Cheers.

Should be fixed in v1.11 patch. Thanks for help!

-SK