Cougar MFD's and Windows 8.1

I'm having this issue with Win 7 Ultimate 64. Plugged directly into numerous USB ports.

Tried most things from this thread, and it only appears to affect one MFD. It seems to coincidental for it to be a faulty MFD though, this is too common an issue.

The problem described in this thread is a Win 8 issue. It should not be an issue, and wasn't for me, with Win 7.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Looking like it may be the MFD now, just tried plugging it into my Macbook Pro and it's doing exactly the same thing.

Seems really odd however, the issue is EXACTLY as described in W8.1. Works perfectly for a while, then begins to flash and disconnect from Windows at random. All the while it's connected it works perfectly.

476th vFG Alumni

My experience with the Win8 issue was that they were non-functional pretty much immediately after plugging them in; they didn't work perfectly for any length of time.

The fact that your other one works fine is also very suspect. Though they are keyed as different devices (left MFD and right MFD) it's unlikely that they would behave differently when connected.

+1 for a bad unit. Sorry for your luck Ragtop :(

Figured as much after testing!

Called the vendor who told me to email the details across because "It's very complicated" and now 36hrs later I've not heard anything back. Time for another call I think!

476th vFG Alumni

Looked into that but couldn't find anything relevant. Only power management settings in Device Manager but that was already off.

Besides, as I said above, the issue persisted on a different computer, so it has to be the unit.

I would get more if I hadn't bought these only 11 days ago!

476th vFG Alumni

I would get more if I hadn't bought these only 11 days ago!

Ouch! Really sorry to read that. Where did you buy them? I'd definitely recommend Amazon. They'll take the stuff back and replace/refund the items without questions asked. They'll even pay for the return courier. They did it with my Saitek pedals.

• 2 weeks later...

USB Devices that flashes on and off.

Win 8 8.1 and apparently also 10

Greetings from a new user.

Cause is the Enhanced Power Management feature added to Win 8 to lower powerdrain on laptops.

The default setting for this is on. I do not know if this can be changed to off. If that could be changed, it would be the best solution.

The long explanation:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2900614/en-us

A slightly faster workaround, than that mentioned by Microsoft, is using USBDeview by Nirsoft. It's freeware.

Open USBDeview, Find and Right click on the trouble device (It will blink if you need to do this.)

Click “Open in RegEdit”, Find and click “Device Parameters”,

Right click “EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled”, Click “Modify”, Change to 0, Click “OK” and exit.

Devices are listed multiple times, as Windows creates a new ID, when it's plugged into another port.

USBDeview:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Dan TDBV Nielsen from Denmark.

DanTDBV (The Droid Building Viking)

Fighting to get CH Flightstick Pro, Saitek Pro Throttle quadrant, TH Cougar MFD's, G27, GF GTX970, SoftTH 3 screen to work with:

DCS A10C CA FC3 UH-1H, RBR, GPL, rFactor.

The road is very long, with many bumps yet to go, but I will succed. (I hope.)

AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core

ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0

32GB DDR3 1600 Dual Channel

GeForce GTX 970 4GB

23,6”+32”+23,6 16/9 screens

CH Flightstick Pro, Modded TM T:16000m, Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant, G27, TH Cougar MFD's

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mine still blink in Win10 even with reg changed unless I plug them straight into computer without a hub.

AMD A8-5600K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7970 6Gig, 16 Gig Ram, Win 10 , 250 gig SSD, 40" Screen + 22 inch below, Track Ir, TMWH, Saitek combat pedals & a loose nut behind the stick :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

Mine install OK and can be programmed ingame but if I use the Target software when I hit the button to configure them with the profile the script runs and shows them but then they blink and the script produces an error saying one was disconnected and they don't get programmed.

Any ideas, already tried to regedit fix and that doesn't correct. They somehow get dropped by the during the middle of the configuration and that stops the script although they work after it stops.

• 3 weeks later...
Mine install OK and can be programmed ingame but if I use the Target software when I hit the button to configure them with the profile the script runs and shows them but then they blink and the script produces an error saying one was disconnected and they don't get programmed.

Any ideas, already tried to regedit fix and that doesn't correct. They somehow get dropped by the during the middle of the configuration and that stops the script although they work after it stops.

Searched the internet for this. I'm having exactly the same trouble.

This is just unbelievable. OK I go them to work but one still was flashing occasionally even with all the fixes.

Well new computer day. And guess what back to the same problem they flash and one eventually just turns off. Device manager goes from "game device" to "device being loaded".

Now they are not usable at all.

OH and learned that unlike the Saitek programming software you have to leave the script thing running. With Saitek you program and can close the program.

Can anyone help ... I have win 10, I have HOTAS Cougar. I am using the 2007 drivers... Foxy recognizes the keys, hats etc ...

I tried installing downloading a tjm file ... for controllers for DCS P51D..... I get nothing but throttle and Jystick no other hat nor key works..

Any ideas.......... I have been at this for over a month... TM is little help and slow as shit..

Roland

Can anyone help ... I have win 10, I have HOTAS Cougar. I am using the 2007 drivers... Foxy recognizes the keys, hats etc ...

I tried installing downloading a tjm file ... for controllers for DCS P51D..... I get nothing but throttle and Jystick no other hat nor key works..

Any ideas.......... I have been at this for over a month... TM is little help and slow as shit..

Roland

RE HOTAS Cougar getting Foxy to work downloading files etc, in Win10

This worked for me:

Unplug Cougar

Installed old drivers (2007_hco_vista_64_rc1.exe) - http://ts.thrustmaster.com/download/accessories/pc/hotas/exe/HOTASCOUGAR/2007_HCO_VISTA_64_RC1.exe

(Assuming you're using 64-bit)

(Foxy is included in this installation, so need to download and install it separately.)

Plug Cougar back in

In device manager

Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar (IN)

Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar (OUT)

appeared as devices without a driver (yellow triangle)

told device manager to update the driver for each of the devices and pointed it to

\<cougar driver install folder>\drivers\

This makes the above devices work properly and I was then able to download files, etc.

Hope this helps. Good luck

Edited by Hippo
structure, clarity and corrections

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

There appear to be new (well a few days old) drivers that mention changes / fixes for the MFDs / Windows 10.

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index.php?pg=view_files&gid=1&fid=3&pid=298&cid=1

Haven't tried them yet, so don't know if they improve things.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

• 2 months later...
There appear to be new (well a few days old) drivers that mention changes / fixes for the MFDs / Windows 10.

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index.php?pg=view_files&gid=1&fid=3&pid=298&cid=1

Haven't tried them yet, so don't know if they improve things.

Hello all

I know this is a very late response to this forum and posts, 8+ months. But I've recently updated to W10 1511 (OS Build 10586.36), and my Cougar MFD's started flashing again after I resolved this in the initial W10 upgrade. So it shows that MS have still not resolved the bugs. And I think the upgrade does something to the Thrustmaster drivers.

My fix, go into your Device Manager, and then down to the Universal Serial Bus controllers. Right click ALL of the USB hubs, click "Properties" and go to the power management tab and uncheck all tick boxes. If not sure just follow above and right click all USB options and select "Properties". The ones you see with a "Power Management" tab are the ones you can untick all options. Then follow the link above and install the updated TM driver. This method works, and has been stable for a few days since I applied the MS update, along with the above newer TM updated driver, with any and all types of passive USB devices. This has been applied to my two gaming PC's with the same mix of Saitek (Combat Pro pedals) the TM HOTAS Warthog, VRInsight Headtracker and MicroPro Pit along with the two F-16 MFD's. And I've been shutting down my PC's every night with no switch on issues anymore.

I change ALL of my USB ports so that whatever I plug in, in any available port is not bothered with this MS issue. So currently this is a fix for me.

Hope this helps you all in fixing this irritation

Cheers

Edited by Screwbottle

Screwbottle

W10 Pro 1511 x64 / Ubuntu 15.10, Core i7 4790K 4.5GHZ OC, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming5 mobo, Gigabyte AMD R9 280X 3GB GPU, Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB DDR3 1.6GHZ mem, 1TB dual boot Windows, 2TB Apps, 1TB dual boot Linux SATAIII HDD's, TSST 24x SATA DVDRW Optics, CoolerMaster G750M 750W PSU, Zalman CNPS10X Shark Fin CPU Cooler