Su-33 mission - Putting down the dog

I've made some changes to the mission, it should now easier overall.The briefing is changed too.

Difficulty level: Medium

Necesarry skills: General navigation, NoE flying, bombing, (possibly) missile evasion manuevers, carrier take-off and landing.

Mission time: 20-30 minutes

Here's the briefing:

***BACKGROUND***

We have recently been informed that the ukrainian destroyer 'Yellow Dog' is being reamred and refueled while undergoing some minor repairs in the Balaklava harbor near Sevastopol.

This ship and its crew has earned an almost lengendary reputation among the ukrainian and coalition forces as it has participated with great success in many operations and scoring many kills.

Although only a small destroyer, because of its reputation this ship is very important for the ukrainian fighting spirtit and losing it would be a hard psychological blow to the coalition and to the ukrainians in perticular.

Now that we have the chance to destroy it, we have to take it. It is time to put down the dog.

***TACTICAL SITUATION***

The harbor and general area where the 'Yellow Dog' is being reparied is well guarded by SAM's and coalition ships, therefore we cannot attack by direct approach.

You will fly low towards the coast and then use terrain masking to avoid being detected until arriving at the target.

You will use a different route on the way back to the 'Kuz',this should make you harder to locate and should keep you safe from enemy SAM systems, just be sure to keep your exposure time to a minimum.

You should however expect the ukrainians to launch stand-by fighters once you have been detected.

***MISSION***

Take off from the Kuznetzov, and fly at low altitude toward the coast, once there you will be flying NoE in the canyons along your planned route to reach the target undetected.

Take out the destroyer 'Yellow Dog' and fly back while keeping the terrain between you and the enemy.

Land at the Kuznetzov.

***LOADOUT***

65 % Fuel

4 x S-25 rockets

2 x R-27ER AA missiles

2 x R-73 AA missiles

***Notes***

The target is located somewhere in the harbor at waypoint 11, as soon as you're close enough execute a pop up to effectively aquire a visual on the target.

Just stay low and fast and you should be alright.

Good luck!

Please give me some feedback :)

putting_down_the_dog.zip

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

Are you going to cheat? ;)

No, I will flying this mission with us German modded Su-33GV from the "German Sea Tigers" Squadron! ;)

Best Regards

Viper

sigpic3353_7.gif

System: Intel Core i7-4790, 3,6GHz, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 2GB GDDR5,

TM HOTAS Warthog;(MSFFB2 for testing); TrackIR4 +Track Clip Pro; Windows 10 Pro.

If anyone flies the mission... please post some feedback in this thread! :)

These Mission are very dangerous when you fly along of the waypoint route across the mountains! The programmed engine failure is not real. You can not continue this flight with the load at bombs.

Another way is, fly low over water to the harbour entrance in 150km distance. Then rise high to 4000m and set a Kh-41 on the marked chief goal and return to carrier....with a single engine! :D

Best Regards

Viper

sigpic3353_7.gif

System: Intel Core i7-4790, 3,6GHz, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 2GB GDDR5,

TM HOTAS Warthog;(MSFFB2 for testing); TrackIR4 +Track Clip Pro; Windows 10 Pro.

Nice mission Yello! Very enjoyable, don't want to give any surprises away to those who may not have flown it yet. Flew it several times, still not a success yet but getting better all the time.

The first time, I didn't really study the map for my route so flew a bit too slow and ended up taking one up the *ss - Ouch! :icon_butt

The second time I flew faster but my cr*p flying made me balloon a little too high on one of the turns, pick up the GAI on my RWR, I honoured the threat (OK, I'll be honest, I went off-mission) and took the GAI on. Amazingly for me, I defeated the GAI's missile shots and made the kill, only to have wandered into KUB country and whilst doing a victory dance in my head, I take it up the *ss - D'Oh! :redface:

Third time I stop jerking around and fly it like I mean it. Only my crap bombing skills :icon_cry: with the 33 let me down, I guess because I was so surprised to actually get to Balaclava.

Liked the low level Crimea cross-country stuff, too many mission designers seem to think the only hills and valleys that exist in Lockon are in the Kodori Gorge - much more challenging to try to hide in those shallow valleys.

Ran OK with Lockon v1.02 on my average rig (Athlon3000,1024Mb,9800Pro) - good job of making it interesting without killing my system with 50 AI units.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry Death, you lose! It was Professor Plum....

Well constructed, simple yet intense, it was a load of fun flying the mission. I really like the suprises along the waypoints, nice touch! Also, that last waypoint before the supposed bomb-release moment shocked me as well, since I couldn't study the location of the ship on the mission map and had no idea where it is. It was neat that I have to visually identified the target and then attack. I opted for the rocket instead of the bomb since it's easier to fire rocket at high speed than dropping bomb. Anyway, I was just wondering if I can have the password to declassified the mission. The reason for this is that I want to review my flying watching the track, but you set it up so there are no external views option for the mission. I just want to be able to see things from the outside. Plus I might make a avi video of it and post it on here. Anyway, let me know, thanks.

Nice mission Yello! Very enjoyable, don't want to give any surprises away to those who may not have flown it yet. Flew it several times, still not a success yet but getting better all the time.

The first time, I didn't really study the map for my route so flew a bit too slow and ended up taking one up the *ss - Ouch! :icon_butt

The second time I flew faster but my cr*p flying made me balloon a little too high on one of the turns, pick up the GAI on my RWR, I honoured the threat (OK, I'll be honest, I went off-mission) and took the GAI on. Amazingly for me, I defeated the GAI's missile shots and made the kill, only to have wandered into KUB country and whilst doing a victory dance in my head, I take it up the *ss - D'Oh! :redface:

Third time I stop jerking around and fly it like I mean it. Only my crap bombing skills :icon_cry: with the 33 let me down, I guess because I was so surprised to actually get to Balaclava.

Liked the low level Crimea cross-country stuff, too many mission designers seem to think the only hills and valleys that exist in Lockon are in the Kodori Gorge - much more challenging to try to hide in those shallow valleys.

Ran OK with Lockon v1.02 on my average rig (Athlon3000,1024Mb,9800Pro) - good job of making it interesting without killing my system with 50 AI units.

I have almost the same system specs myself ;)

These Mission are very dangerous when you fly along of the waypoint route across the mountains! The programmed engine failure is not real. You can not continue this flight with the load at bombs.

Another way is, fly low over water to the harbour entrance in 150km distance. Then rise high to 4000m and set a Kh-41 on the marked chief goal and return to carrier....with a single engine! :D

Shouldn't spoil it for the others... but when the engine failure occurs you're supposed to be on your way home, and not carrying any bombs. But if you are you should just jettison them.

Well constructed, simple yet intense, it was a load of fun flying the mission. I really like the suprises along the waypoints, nice touch! Also, that last waypoint before the supposed bomb-release moment shocked me as well, since I couldn't study the location of the ship on the mission map and had no idea where it is. It was neat that I have to visually identified the target and then attack. I opted for the rocket instead of the bomb since it's easier to fire rocket at high speed than dropping bomb. Anyway, I was just wondering if I can have the password to declassified the mission. The reason for this is that I want to review my flying watching the track, but you set it up so there are no external views option for the mission. I just want to be able to see things from the outside. Plus I might make a avi video of it and post it on here. Anyway, let me know, thanks.
Sent you a PM with the code.

Maybe I made it a bit too difficult as the player is unaware of so much and can't really make much planning to start with.

Too bad you can't put images in the briefing... you could have gotten satellite images then ;)

****Spoiler****

Hey Yellonet,

I finally got a chance to play this nice mission ;) Here is the debrief....

00:30pst -Read brief and studied routes, targeting data (very little), and load out. Right away I was thinking this was going to be another suicide mission, but I did not argue and left the plane's fuel and weapons load as fitted.

00:50pst -Leave the briefing room and head to the carrier deck. After checking flight systems and confirming what I suspected to be a very clustered HDD with my routing and targeting data (thank god I had jotted down a few key waypoints earlier), I am off low and hot.

Watch the attached track if you are curious to see the flight ;)

http://rapidshare.de/files/9207886/Dog_Down_-_pilot_-199-LOCsta.rar.html

(This is the original flight track, unedited)

01:17pst -Engines off after what proved to be a very stressful and difficult mission.

01:18pst -Off to the debrief room to ream someone a new one!!!

Comments:

1. It is not necessary to use so many waypoints, and actually makes it harder when navigating through a hot zone. I would recommend using the waypoints to mark course changes and or/ specific coordinates or markers.

If you want people to fly through a canyon just write it in the briefing and place a waypoint and the beginning and end of the canyon.

2. Why would you only give 50% fuel for the mission. I was very worried about this, and stayed out of burner for almost the entire flight, and still BARELY made it home (200kg or so left) This leaves no room for error or unexpected events :(

3. The load out for the type of task you had planned was not good. Someone has suggested the S-25 rockets or any CHUTE bomb (BETA-500) would have been the better choice.

The only other thing I noticed was the chopper parked right on the landing strip of the Kuz. I thought I was going to nail him, and definitely would have if I had missed the wire. I think he should land somewhere else ;)

I presume the engine fire was not a random failure since I have seen others comment on it..... Made for a fun landing :)

Over all this is one of the better missions I have played but still had too many "unnecessary challenges" when the mission itself was a challenge enough.

p.s. Nice job with adding the eye candy and extras w/o going overboard with too many AI units.

is this ok?

Hey Yellonet,

I finally got a chance to play this nice mission ;) Here is the debrief....

00:30pst -Read brief and studied routes, targeting data (very little), and load out. Right away I was thinking this was going to be another suicide mission, but I did not argue and left the plane's fuel and weapons load as fitted.

00:50pst -Leave the briefing room and head to the carrier deck. After checking flight systems and confirming what I suspected to be a very clustered HDD with my routing and targeting data (thank god I had jotted down a few key waypoints earlier), I am off low and hot.

Watch the attached track if you are curious to see the flight ;)

http://rapidshare.de/files/9207886/Dog_Down_-_pilot_-199-LOCsta.rar.html

(This is the original flight track, unedited)

01:17pst -Engines off after what proved to be a very stressful and difficult mission.

01:18pst -Off to the debrief room to ream someone a new one!!!

Comments:

1. It is not necessary to use so many waypoints, and actually makes it harder when navigating through a hot zone. I would recommend using the waypoints to mark course changes and or/ specific coordinates or markers.

If you want people to fly through a canyon just write it in the briefing and place a waypoint and the beginning and end of the canyon.

2. Why would you only give 50% fuel for the mission. I was very worried about this, and stayed out of burner for almost the entire flight, and still BARELY made it home (200kg or so left) This leaves no room for error or unexpected events :(

3. The load out for the type of task you had planned was not good. Someone has suggested the S-25 rockets or any CHUTE bomb (BETA-500) would have been the better choice.

The only other thing I noticed was the chopper parked right on the landing strip of the Kuz. I thought I was going to nail him, and definitely would have if I had missed the wire. I think he should land somewhere else ;)

I presume the engine fire was not a random failure since I have seen others comment on it..... Made for a fun landing :)

Over all this is one of the better missions I have played but still had too many "unnecessary challenges" when the mission itself was a challenge enough.

p.s. Nice job with adding the eye candy and extras w/o going overboard with too many AI units.

It's quite obvious that I didn't test the mission much huh? ;)

I'll try to fix most of the problems... thanks for playing anyway :D

Edit: Just watched your track. Very nice flying! :)

Dude, this was a great mission! Just making some suggestions for your next one ;)

It was very similiar to the type of missions I make (probably why I got the lucky 1st time success :)) So I hope to see more from you.

Ok... well I did change it to more fuel, no random engine loss, fewer waypoints and S-25's for loadout. And thanks :)