7800 GTX disappointment

JACN

Today I recieved my new XFX 7800GTX 512 extreme XXX but I was very very disappointed when found NO fps gain in LO comparing with my previous 6800 Ultra...I resist to believe that there is NO, literally, (even a slightly 1 or 2 lose) fps difference in LO performance when using a newer (over-overclocked) 512 mb video card!!

ALL the other games/sims, IL2 (water=4) does see a huge difference: higher fps and sttuter problems vanished...

Yes, I'm aware of LO CPU botteneck...but my CPU is a FX-55 (@2.8+)Is there anything wrong with my hardware/software config?:confused:

Well, I would reinstall LockOn first. But thats just me. Also, you might want to try different drivers, if available. Probably give it a few days also to get everything setup. Double check your BIOS settings (Video & PC).

Do a genuine benchmark (its $20 to register with 3D Mark) and compare with others with similar systems.

Unless you are Mr. Omega Driver or Mr. NVIDIA and know all the nuances, its gonna take ya a few to get your new card tweaked to achieve maximum performance.

Havok

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

I agree with the OP, there is no or negligible gain with better videocards. I dont see any, and neither has a lot of other people with big video cards.

once you get past a certain point in vid cards, thats it, there is no more gain to be had IMO, now cpu's thats a different story, you will see more of a gain with a better cpu than you will with better videocards.

this game will still cripple a fx55 with your card, if the game is set to highest settings, especially water at highest.

Today I recieved my new XFX 7800GTX 512 extreme XXX but I was very very disappointed when found NO fps gain in LO comparing with my previous 6800 Ultra...I resist to believe that there is NO, literally, (even a slightly 1 or 2 lose) fps difference in LO performance when using a newer (over-overclocked) 512 mb video card!!

What resolution are you playing at? If you were playing at 1600*1200 with AA&AF, I'm sure you would have found significant difference.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I only use 1024 res 2XAA/4xAF for better performance. I know 7800 series start to make a REAL difference for 1200 res and above, but my question is this:

WHY is Lockon the only (or one of the very very few) sim/game that do not see ANY fps improvement when using a last-generation-512mbRAM-double-overclocked(second by myshelf) video card??...could it be the same problem because Lockon does not support SLI config?...

Don´t take me wrong, I can understand that AFM, avionics, AI, etc, are CPU matter...but I cannot (and never will) understand, for example, SEA (...textures management...) generating the same CPU bottlenecks having one of the most powerfull graphic card available nowadays or a one year older one ...or why not?, a SLI config with the first option :icon_toil

I think ED people should (must) make an important effort to optimise the LO graphic engine. Keeping things this UGLY way I preffer not think about Black-SharK, specially when developers have warned us all about a logical fps performance degradation due to textures, low alt flights, and.........

First time I tried Pacific Fighters in Perfect mode (water=3) I really thought I´d never could enjoy it with a 6800 Ultra. Now, with last .dlls it´s more than playable (Perfect mode) even with a 6600!!!.

I hope ED team if not in LO 1.12 or 1.2 yes in a 1.2x patch, surprised us all with a graphic engine review that allows this ENORMOUS piece of art named Lockon to efficiently make use of our machines to their limits.

Of course, all of this is just a personal thought...:icon_jook

First time I tried Pacific Fighters in Perfect mode (water=3) I really thought I´d never could enjoy it with a 6800 Ultra. Now, with last .dlls it´s more than playable (Perfect mode) even with a 6600!!!.

What dlls are you talking about?

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

I think ED people should (must) make an important effort to optimise the LO graphic engine. Keeping things this UGLY way I preffer not think about Black-SharK, specially when developers have warned us all about a logical fps performance degradation due to textures, low alt flights, and.........

I agree...

I agree...

Totally agree!

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

Well, maybe lighten up on a team thats already brought us the best flight sim there is. Asking a team to revamp a graphics engine, has to be paid for. Turning blame on them for a product that was concieved years ago, and was ahead of its time then (as well as now) is not fair because of a new equipment generation of graphics card.

Again, you should try some different settings, drivers, and do some credible benchmarking. You only recieved your card today. You might have a bottleneck somewhere else. Did you benchmark before you installed new card and after to compare? Is the card you have above, at or below all the advertised specs? You have residue from other vid cards in system?

Havok

I agree...
Me too. and not only graphic engine but the optimisation for dual core processors.

I do believe that even with all its imperfections, Lock On si the best combat flight sim out there at the moment.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Guest IguanaKing

I believe, because of the way the game is coded, it is much more dependent on CPU and RAM. Like Scotsman said, once you get past a certain point with your GPU, further upgrades really don't gain you much, if anything, in this particular game. For example, on my old machine, I noticed absolutely no difference (other than a few effects my 8500 was incapable of processing) when I upgraded from a Radeon 8500 to a 9800XT. The GPU upgrade didn't allow me to increase ANY of my graphics settings, and the gain was negligible with the same settings. I upgraded my processor and memory, kept the same GPU, and...YIKES :icon_supe . I do agree though that things need to be streamlined a lot further. Overcast conditions STILL drop my FPS in the toilet, to the point where its unplayable without an FPS mod to the overcast textures. Although I don't really fly the FPS counter, it seems that I can define "unplayable" as something less than 25 FPS sustained. I'm used to getting between 42 and 112 with mostly clear skies.

Interesting.

I have an AMD64 3500+. I upgraded from the 6800GT to a 7800GT, and I saw a good 10-20 FPS increase depending on where I was.

With the same settings, over cities I get a minimum 10FPS increase. With 6800GT I had like 12FPS over big city, now I get about 25FPS.

Happy with my upgrade.

I believe, because of the way the game is coded, it is much more dependent on CPU and RAM. Like Scotsman said, once you get past a certain point with your GPU, further upgrades really don't gain you much, if anything, in this particular game.

That is basically true to any PC game. LO differs here from other games with it's earlier "FPS saturation", i.e. it's got more CPU resource consumption, so CPU power becomes inadequate in feeding GPU at lower FPS level, compared to games of different DOOM-styles.

When the situation gets to this point, it's the time to:

* upgrade the CPU-memory bundle,

* or spend the graphics card's excess resources on increasing the picture quality at the level of AA, AF, mipmap detail, so on,

* spend any kind of available resources to help ED in their 3D-engine upgrades and optimisations :D

Although I don't really fly the FPS counter, it seems that I can define "unplayable" as something less than 25 FPS sustained. I'm used to getting between 42 and 112 with mostly clear skies.

Well that sucks for you, i can fly with FPS at 18 and it is still silky smooth.

Gentlemen,

We are where we are going to be for a while.

I do not see lock-on getting any attention to the cpu limiting from the game engine.

AMD and Intel can not go any faster , that is why dual cores are out now.

I do not see physics cards being supported in lockon

Sound engine is not going to be improved.

Graphic engine will not get an update to latest shader models.

I get the same fps with everything turned on high at 800 x600 as I do at 2048x1536. I increase my cpu speed, things go up. Fact of life, fact of lock-on.

Options:

1) Get a fast cpu, add phase change cooling and clock as high as you can. Just the way it is.

I suspect around 3.6-3.9 on an amd platform would enable some steady fps with high settings using today's current top notch video cards.

2) Keep water and visibity range turned down.

Wish it was not true, but sometimes the truth hurts.

With today's best hardware, you will not go hunting for vehicles hidden in the streets of Krasnodar with settings on high. Krasnodar renders over 20,000 objects.

Yes, I'm aware of LO CPU botteneck...but my CPU is a FX-55 (@2.8+)Is there anything wrong with my hardware/software config?:confused:

No sir, You have a nice rig and enjoy it

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

ALL the other games/sims, IL2 (water=4) does see a huge difference: higher fps and sttuter problems vanished...

The thing is that your 6800 Ultra was not that bad.

1) It is faster than 7800GT

2) 7800GTX 256 is only 4-5% faster than 6800Ultra with latest directX9x games (with directX8.1 it is less)

3) Water on highest is just a bug put it on medium! (I can’t see difference in quality)

4) In some benchmarks the 6800Ultra beats the 7800GTX 256!

What type of power supply has your rig? Fx-55 @2.8Ghz consumes about +130Watt!

DELL Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 940 2,93 GHz @3 GHz, 8 MB cache | 8.192 MB 1.067 MHz Tri Channel DDR3

| 512 MB ATI® Radeon™ 4850 | 500 GB 7200 rpm Serial ATA | Samsung SM 2693 HM 25.5 " | HOTAS Cougar Thrustmaster |

from what i understand Lockon uses an older shader engine which is behind the FPS problems, if they upgraded to the new shader engine we would probally seeing more than double FPS we currently see.

i dont know anything about the shaders but this is what id been told by a trusted "informant" ;)

Happy Neew Year

• ED Team

I recently updated my complete rig. My new specs are : AMD X2 3800+ Dual Core CPU, 2 GB Corsair RAM and a Radeon X1800 XT 512 MB. I play in 1600x1200 and have a great fps. Flying high with a su-27 for example im getting around 70 fps constantly. Getting down with a su-25 im getting around 20-60 fps. But it almost never drops under 20 fps.

The loading times are really shorter now. Maybe the 2 GB RAM instead of the old 1 GB are a real fps booster ?

• ED Team

I recently updated my complete rig. My new specs are : AMD X2 3800+ Dual Core CPU, 2 GB Corsair RAM and a Radeon X1800 XT 512 MB. I play in 1600x1200 and have a great fps. Flying high with a su-27 for example im getting around 70 fps constantly. Getting down with a su-25 im getting around 20-60 fps. But it almost never drops under 20 fps.

The loading times are really shorter now. Maybe the 2 GB RAM instead of the old 1 GB are a real fps booster ?

It seems like there are more textures in the RAM preloaded or something like that.

A new video card might not give much more FPS (depending on your settings), but you should be able to have more eye candy options enabled. If you want a really rough rule of thumb CPU makes the sim play faster and GPU makes it look better. It's not actually quite that straightforward.

The 512MBGTX is a very powerful card even when compared to the 6800 ultra. Maybe you could try tapping into that power by using higher AA, FSAA or in-game settings?

Lock on MUST have toe-brake functionality with differential braking!

My blog full of incoherent ramblings on random subjects: https://anttiilomaki.wordpress.com/

No problems here, i have a nvidia 7800gtx,fx-55,640psu and my settings on high except for water/visibility which is turned down, my resolution is 1600x1200 2aa and 2af and my frame rates are a smooth 40 to high 60s online and only dips to the 30s over large cities, very smooth performance. I hope you can find out the problem and get it to be as smooth.

Guest IguanaKing
Well that sucks for you, i can fly with FPS at 18 and it is still silky smooth.

Like I said, its all in what you're accustomed to. ;)