"New" Tutorial: Strela Hunt Movie

Hi folks,

A quick note to let you know that, through the generous efforts of 199th VNFS Ruggbutt, the orginal Strela Hunt tutorial has now been converted into a movie. Smile You'll find it on the Supression of Enemy Air Defenses page. No version of Lock On is required for viewing. Isn't that sweet? Be warned, though, the file size is large: 154MB.

Anyone with a lot of bandwidth who wants to mirror this, feel free. This is the equivalent of my putting up about 8 standard tutorials simultaneously. Be interesting to see how long my bandwidth holds up.

Rich

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

D/Led in 4 1/2 minutes...(snipped)<S>

Ahhh....the joys of high speed internet. :)

Thanks guys. The video is nothing like those producing movies make. So please don't expect a lot of "slap and dash". This is a straight forward rendering of the original tutorial to video which is far more difficult than it appears because of the reduced resolution. Rugg had to do a lot of signal tweaking to make some things visible.

And Rugg, thank you for all your effort and expertise.

Rich

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

I have it mirrored on our site too. Grab it here. We have quite a bit of bandwith, so I'll host it as long as the bandwith holds out.

I'm working on doing the rest of Ironhand's vids, and I'm not adding alot of special effects like you see in some of my movies. My goal was to keep the tutorials faithful to Rich's original vision. Since the cockpit arrow doesn't render in the AVI's I changed things up a bit and I do some zoom and sharpening to highlight what Ironhand is pointing out. I hope you all enjoy this one, there are more coming!

Thanks to my squad for donating the bandwith, the guys love this community.

This is very much appreciated. Thank you again.

This is a GREAT idea, thanks a lot guys! I've routinely kept installs of 1.02 and even Flanker 2.5 (well not anymore) around JUST so I could still learn from Rich's tracks.

On a side note, Rich I just wanted to thank you for all the recent tracks you've released. I think a LOT more people download and learn from your tracks than actually post thank-you messages, and so since I've been doing this since the early Flanker 2.0 days - THANKS! :)

Thanks to both Ironhand and ruggbutt for your efforts. Very appreciated, this classic from the original version has always been my favorite training track for its simplicity and clarity. I always revert to it when intro ing new people to sam evasion and A2G.

Anyway seeing this brings back a curiosity which I know has been discussed on the old boards but I dont remember the resolution. I am refering to the sam launch warning. Now of course the A10 is a RADAR warning reciever so it cannot detect an IR launch. But I remember it mentioned or maybe read it in a book that the strela 1 and 10 take a quick radar range check on the target that may be picked up by a reciever. Is this true or no and if so why was it removed?

Thanks for work guys!

A little criticizm if I may... that noise behind the voice might be cool but makes it harder for non-english speaking person to understand. And of course the quality of the picture - I dont think this movie version can substitute track, the picture is soo poor compared to what you see playing the track :(. I'd suggest movie as addition to regular training track and also include original mission for self-training.

Thanks again for tutorial.

Even though it only takes a few minutes to dl. I wish I had the time cause there is also the option to make bit torrents out of these files so 1 gb files could be dled from alot of people at a reasonable speed.

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3/ 2500k 4.4ghz / Corsair 64gb SSD Cache / Corsair 8g 1600 ddr3 / 2 x 320gb RE3 Raid 0 /Corsair 950w/ Zotac 560TI AMP 1gb / Zalman GS1200 case /G940/

Excellent idea of making movies from tutorials. It's really great from the technical point of view. Really big thanks to Ironhand and Ruggbutt!!!!

Having said that I have just some doubts about being "tactically useful".

I mean on "peacetime training" you could do what's in that tutorial. IRL or even in a true LockOn mission you really can't do that dance.

First because each SAM battery has 4 vehicles, which operate in pairs, so in no way you're gonna face just one vehicle. You may have more than one, maybe four, and if they begin to fire with some kinda coordination you're in deep s*it. If you wait for SAMs to be depleted you may well end your flares before. And if only one vehicle fired and then you pop up for a level attack, maybe the other vehicle could fire at you unnoticed.

Second because these are extremely mobile SAMs so it's usually difficult to know where they are. So it's a bit unrealistic knowing beforehand where the threat is like in this tutorial. You may well be overflying them when they fire at you, so you stand a little chance of survival.

Third because each SAM battery is usually deployed with AAA, usually being ZSU-23-4 or 2S6, which are formidable threats, and usually don't allow loitering that much over target area at that altitude.

Last but not least because an A-10 flying at that altitude over the FLOT is just a sitting duck for longer ranged SAMs and enemy aircraft. Over Iraq and Kosovo A-10s tried to fly high because the tactical scenario allowed it, but in a typical scenario (at least where the A-10 was planned to work, i.e. Central Europe) terrain masking would have been the keyword!

Maybe some words from Dice or any other experienced guy would be helpful.

It's good to know that people benefit from my and Rugg's efforts. Thank you all for your comments.

Starlight,

Of course, you're right. The main focus of the tutorial was evasion of short-range SAMs like the Strela and, as such, the situation depicted was highly stylized. It was not meant as a how-to on killing SAMs unless, of course, you knew the SAM's approximate location and it was a singleton.

Having said that, however, I can also say that I've flown quite a few LockOn missions where I've purposely drawn the launches of SAMs to spot their positions. What you do in any mission always depends on the tactical situation presented.

Rich

_____

"Thank you. I have control"

is becoming the most famous sentence in LOMAC ;)

Once more, great job. Thank you both of you

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

BTW, I appreciated very much your tutorial, it's really great and helpful.

I just wanted to point out that some tactical situations don't allow that graceful dance. Anyway your tutorial is great (I wish I was so skillful in avoiding Strelas!) and I also liked the idea of putting it as a video. It takes more HD space, but there are no compatibility problems! way to go! ;)

I hope I am not irritating anyone with this question, but I will ask again in another way.

In the training vid, whenever a sam was launched the RWR in the A10 chirped briefly. I found this on FAS: (this is for Strela 10 SA-13 not SA-9)

The SA-13 incorporates the range-only HAT BOX radar which provides the operator the targets range to the system to prevent wastage of missiles outside the effective range of the system. The HAT BOX circular parabolic radar antenna is located between the two pairs of missile canisters.

The SA-9 Gaskin uses some type of passive radar for what I am not sure.

So it is certainly reasonable that the RWR in the HOG would not detect the launch from a Strela 1. I understand why ED removed it but what was the reasoning for removing that feature when a Strela 10 launched?

Any ED testers care to clue me in.

Mjolner,

Sorry I overlooked your question the first time, not that I have a complete answer anyway.

Concerning the Strela 1's passive radar system...by intercepting the radar emissions of threat aircraft, the SAM's operator knows that there are hostile aircraft in the area. Think of it as hearing a shout in the dark. It doesn't help you to find the target but it's better than nothing. Stela-1s have often been deployed in the field with Shilkas. When stationary, the two can be hard wired and the Strela-1s can use the Shilka's Gun Dish radar for range information. Since the Strela-1's SAM has such a limited range, this helps the operator not to launch too soon. (Of course, none of this is modelled in the sim.)

Concerning the Strela-10, I'm not really sure. I know at one time there was discussion concerning the RWR's ability to discriminate the HAT BOX. But, even if it could, the mere presence of the signal would not indicate a launch. The radar is only being used to check if the target aircraft is within range yet. I don't now recall which version of the sim the discussion involved.

Rich

_____

To every that helped bring us this masterpiece I have to say thank you...

This vid is very informative and truly in this case a picture really is worth a thousand words...

I picked up a few new pieces of information that I didn't know.....

Keep 'em comming if you can dudes!!!!!

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Thanks for the brief info Ironhand, I appreciate the response.

I have a strange habit of brooding over particularities. I find the electronic warfare aspect of Lockon to be increasingly fascinating and love to learn all I can.

Not a problem. The topic is fascinating. In fact, the Ironhand site started it's existence as a SAM bug/inaccuracies list back in the days of Flanker 1.x. And I've learned a lot over the years.

Keep 'em comming if you can dudes!!!!!

We're trying. :)

Rich

_____