Anybody playing LockOn in 1920x1080 (I or P) resolution ?

I am planning to buy LCD TV in a couple of months and I am wondering whether LockOn supports 1920 x 1080 (interlaced or progressive) resolution, so I can play it in full TV resolution.

Does anybody already play LockOn 1920 x 1080 ?

Thanks,

Roman

I am playing at 1920 X 1200 on a Dell 2405 24 inch LCD.

Works well so far.

What settings did you change in the graphics.cfg? i obviously changed the res and the aspect to 1.6 but it seems that my defualt FOV is moved forward, so that im not actually seeing a wider view than normal? Even if i zoom out to the max. Could you post a pic of your WS with max zoom out and then again (same aircraft) with a 4:3 aspect/res with max zoom out so that i can compare mine. Mine are below. the first on 1600.jpg is obviously 1600*1200 aspect ratio of 1.333 and the second at 1920*1200 a/r of 1.6

much appreciated.

cheers

1920.thumb.jpg.712c1a5c6102abc497574825f2b41d9c.jpg

Nate, your 1920X1200 shot is like my first one. For that shot I hit shift / to zoom out. It was not fully zoomed out, I used / to zoom out further, and I got the pic you see in the second shot.

The cockpit/controls are being adjusted for the new ratio though. Look how wide and distorted the canopy is at 1920X1200 with a 1.33 ratio.

Comparing my 1600*1200 and 1920's to yours it looks like im doing it right, but notice the difference between your standard 1600 and your second 1920 (1.6 aspec). Notice even when fully zoomed out in both, you see a lot more of the cockpit instruments, and above the cockpit in the standard 1600 pic. In the 1920 shot it seems just to cut off the top an and bottom, rather than giving extra image on the sides. It seems that the default max zoom out is moved forward also??

What are your opinoins on the matter?

cheers

Comparing my 1600*1200 and 1920's to yours it looks like im doing it right, but notice the difference between your standard 1600 and your second 1920 (1.6 aspec). Notice even when fully zoomed out in both, you see a lot more of the cockpit instruments, and above the cockpit in the standard 1600 pic. In the 1920 shot it seems just to cut off the top an and bottom, rather than giving extra image on the sides. It seems that the default max zoom out is moved forward also??

Effectively an issue of how Direct3D works. The field of view setting refers to the horizontal dimension. The vertical one is then scaled according to the given aspect ratio. That means if your screen is wider, giving a higher aspect ratio, the same FOV setting will actually show less of the vertical FOV. As the overall max FOV value is fixed, the max vertical FOV value is thus lower than with a 4:3 aspect ratio monitor, even if the resolution is the same.

If you tilt your screen 90 degrees and set a resolution of 1200*1920, you should see the opposite effect: now your vertical field of view will be set to more than what you could achieve on a 4:3 screen. Usually though that will lead to major distortions when zoomed out ;)

• Like 1

Caretaker

ED Beta Test Team

screens

Nate, I had noticed something did not seem quite right and you pinpointed it. We were both looking for an advantage to having widescreen, but there really isn't any practical advantage.

Glad Caretaker was able to explain why it looks like that. I will still be sticking to 1920x1200 though :)

Hi,

actually as I just recalled, you can change the FOV limits right now with 1.1; go to the /Config/View/view.lua and look for the section

-- Camera view angle limits {view angle min, view angle max}.

There you can adjust the min/max FOV limits for each flyable plane individually. The default max angle is 120 degrees; with 145 you should have the same vertical FOV again as before with a 4:3 screen, but now with a wider horizontal FOV. Note that performance usually decreases with a higher view angle as more objects are visible at the same time, even if they're smaller. Guess you just have to find the balance, as with most settings :)

Be careful though, this is what happens with 175 degrees (I didn't go all the way to 180, which is the limit and I'm not sure how the engine would cope with that... ;)):

ScreenShot_018.jpg.194425afe1648fff239ec30d598b376c.jpg

ScreenShot_019.jpg.5d6a592a1f7af99361e31bb53ee07deb.jpg

ScreenShot_020.jpg.a5ff1c8d42ab29428976a3b4b4c3febf.jpg

ScreenShot_021.jpg.630791fbaf6b7b4239b0649e6c7cb30f.jpg

Caretaker

ED Beta Test Team

... Note that performance usually decreases with a higher view angle as more objects are visible at the same time, even if they're smaller. Guess you just have to find the balance, as with most settings :)

Thanks for testing this !

BTW, ... shouldn't Lomac automatically recalculate LOD distances based on field of view ? If not then I would consider this a (small) bug ... However there is settings section for LOD distances in graphics.cfg file, so I think you can change them accordingly when changing FOV ...

OK, this is wierd.... I have changed the FOV values for all aircaft in the view.lua file, but the SU25T (Su39 in the LUA) appears to be hard coded, and ignores the values set in the config file.

As my attachment quota has gone over the limit, i`ll have to show the pics here inline

SU-25, zoomed out, FOV min/max = 20.0 / 170.0

ScreenShot_00148-half.jpg

SU-25T, zoomed out, same values in view.lua as SU-25

ScreenShot_00147-half.jpg

Can someone else try this and tell me if its hard coded, or if I am doing something wrong? :)

Hi,

I just tested mine out and found the same results, i run on a max FOV of 145 and to get close to the same image results for the su-25 and su-25t i had to increase the t's FOV to 175 but then panning round the cockpit is all warped and such.

see image links below.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f9/natedogg44/su-25tat175.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f9/natedogg44/su-25at145.jpg

So really the FOV is a little bit strange on the t model. Perhaps the pilot is sitting further forward in this plane?? I have no idea!

Cheers