Flaming Cliffs does not startup consistently

aeross60

I am using the downloaded version of Flaming Cliff 1.1. and

<B>

having inconsistent problems with starting up Flaming Cliff. It's a real pain in the butt. I think it has something to do the StarForce protection scheme. It usually only works if I turn off the F-Secure Firewall and reinitialize the SAVED REGISTRY KEY then try to startup the game, but that does not alway work either. After playing the game, I then restart Windows and just try to execute Flaming Cliff again the game will freeze up within a few seconds after I try to startup the game. Once this happens the game will not let me reboot Windows. Other than this major problem the game works great. Please help.

</B>

Thanks,

----------------------------------------------------------

<B>TechSupport <support@lockon.ru> wrote:
Hello,

</B>

You must to turn off the firewall, SF system must have no any barriers to connect the internet.

Best regards

Tuseyev Daniel

ED lead tester

-------------------------------- My Reply -------------------------------------------

Hi, Your solution would leave my system open for attacks? Can't I instead open whatever .exe files SF needs to access the internet and if so what are the names of those .exe files? I really don't want to turn off the firewall. All my other games work just fine with the firewall on as long as I tell the FIREWALL Program to let them through to the internet.

Assuming that the CD version will not cause the same problems as the DOWNLOADED VERSION: If I cannot get Flaming Cliff (download version) to consistently startup can you send me the CD version and I will pay for the shipping?

No Reply from TechSupport
yet.

Find a better firewall software maybe?

I know people have no problems with Sygate Personal, and Symantec apps.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Guest IguanaKing

Find a better firewall program. Although it may be a solution, Daniel Tuseyev is giving you HORRIBLE advice. You should NEVER have to disable your firewall completely. Doing this will leave you open to all kinds of stuff that, believe me, you don't want. I am currently using McAfee Internet Security 2005 Professional, and my firewall has not interfered AT ALL with FC or SF after the original pop-up that warned me of new outbound activity. I'll say it again...DO NOT disable your firewall just to play this game...it isn't necessary if you have a decent firewall program, and the risks FAR outweigh the benefits. Good luck. :D

Ok, I need to give you all a little more info because I don't think the FIREWALL has anything to do with the INCONSISTENT STARTUP PROBLEM. In fact, two weeks ago I was using ZONE ALARM and I would temporarily disable the FIREWALL before starting up FC and the same thing would happen. I can't pin down what combination of things I do to make FC startup, but this is usually what I do once FC fails to start:

(0) REBOOT

(1) Run the saved registry to reinstate the saved registry (Does it matter what directory I run this from?)

(2) Temporarily disable the FIREWALL.

(3) Try to startup FC

(4) If FC fails it will not let me shutdown the FC program or close Windows. I must turn the computer off (by the way, it's a DELL 8400 3.2 gig and the game runs great on it when it does run)

(5) Sometimes I can try steps 1 thru 5 and FC will startup, if not, I will run the remove SF program and start the process over again until it does work.

I have reloaded all programs, Lockon thru FC.12, from scratch three times now and that didn't seem to help either.

That's it. Any more ideas?

Thanks for the help guys.

Give more information.

all hardware information (brands, and model names)

DXDIAG report

SISOFT SANDRA report

what processes are running in background, driver combination etc.

log any power changes (some mainboard monitor)

etc...

the more you know, the more we know, and then we can pinpoint your problem.

yes, disabling firewall nowadays is suicidal.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Aeross60,

I don't know how F-Secure is set up but, see if it gives you the option to go in and permit Flaming Cliffs to access the internet. I had similar issues with Zone Labs firewall until I went in and gave FC internet permission.

I would click on a button (any button) from the Main Menu and the newly installed FC would "freeze". What was happening was that ZoneLabs was trying to inform me that FC wanted to access the Net and asking if it was okay. Problem was, I couldn't see the ZoneLabs query box. Wondering if it might be a firewall issue, I went in and manually gave permission for FC to have internet access. After that, no more "freezes".

Rich

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Keep in mind that I can turn off the Firewall and let all internet traffic IN and OUT and the problem still occurs. I have applied all of the latest patches including STARFORCE's latest patch. I sent STARFORCE a very long system report that they asked for, so we'll see what they come up with. Because the report is very long I did not post it here.

I really love flying this SIM so hopefully the guys at STARFORCE will figure this out.

Thanks for all your replies.