Multiplayer/Online wizards - help with connection problem

ARM505

Hi all,

I have an odd problem when connecting to one of the guys who hosts down here. Nine out of ten times I am dropped after about 45 seconds to one minute. My aircraft will just disappear from his perspective. I can continue to fly for a little while (it varies depending on the timeout settings under network/config.lua), but all the other aircraft will just proceed along their last vector, and I am then returned to the debrief screen.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Why am I able to *sometimes* connect? My pings are in the 100 region, and very stable - we've had several other guys join, all with no problems at all. Why am I the only one who gets dropped the whole time? One guy even has very erratic pings, sometimes in the 1000's! Yet he stays connected. And why am I always kicked at such a specific time (I'm guessing about 45s to 1 min, I haven't timed it)? If I make it for longer than that, then I'm in with no problems.

Please tell me somebody has some ideas! I'm using a 192kbps ADSL connection. Port 10308 has been opened for my machine, both TCP and UDP (not that it needs it for me to join as a client). When I host, this guy can join my machine with no problems, and he of course stays connected. I have also allowed Lock on as an exception in windows firewall, and opened port 10308 TCP and UDP, again, not that it was necessary, but I did it while trying to solve the problem. No joy.

Help!

This is not a Bug. Should be moved to Technical section.

There are 2 possibilities.

First possibility is "..Eagle Dynamics\Lock On\Config\network\config.lua

And Edit this:

-- This file was automagically generated. Edit with care. :)

gameTimeout = 30;

maxPacketSize = 500;

playerName = "PlayerName";

idleTimeout = 120;

To:

-- This file was automagically generated. Edit with care. :)

gameTimeout = 500;

maxPacketSize = 500;

playerName = "PlayerName";

idleTimeout = 500;

Second possibility is a faulty modem or interference from another phone/socket.

Ok, I must apologise for the post here then. Any Admins, please feel free to move it.

I forgot to include that I have already tried what you suggested - the only difference that makes is in how long it takes AFTER having been dropped until dumping me back to the debrief screen. And I would be inclined to say it isn't the modem/router at fault, since I can host with no problems, as well as play IL2, BF2 etc online without a hitch.

Thanks anyway.

• 5 months later...

Hey ARM - howzeeet!

You could try linking to a hosted game using a different connection. At least this will eliminate the possibility of some "sensitivity" of the LOMAC client session to a modem or line problem - DSL has signal attentuation as far as I know and you might be close to some magic threshold for LOMAC. This is just speculation to help me sound like I know what I'm talking about :megalol:, but at least you might be able to eliminate the connection quality question.

You're welcome to pop in here at my joint to try it out if you have no other buddies with a DSL link close by.

PM me ;) and we'll see what we can sort out.

overalien

All your AMRAAM are belong to us.

overalien

Hog Driver starting to really like the Tomcat

System specs:

Intel i7-8700k - OC to 5.0 GHz

| 32 GB RAM 3600 MHz | Nvidia 1080ti SLi | Mixed Storage - Win 10 and DCS on Samsung SSD 970 Pro

Flightgear:

7 Displays (3 x 1440p, 1 X 1080p, 3 X Lilliput Touch) | 3 x Cougar MFDs

| Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR Pedals | iBEAM Shaker + Simshaker for Aviators w. Sound Module | Helios | VAICOM Pro + AIRIO | TrackIR 5