The Ka-50 Black Shark thread

Just a few words of comfort if you're worried about FPS. A simulated helo can be flown as effectively at a lower frame rate than you would expect from a fighter simulaiton.

While a high FPS rate does yeild a more satisfying experience ( < he says stating the bleeding obvious) you're not so reliant on positional feedback, you're not performing high energy turns (often anyway). From personal experience, a mean FPS of 14.0 is the lowest adequate update rate for helicopter control, this is not as demanding as fighter sims where fluid motion is needed for constant corrective inputs.

From what I've seen of the videos, there's probably not much difference in performance with the Su-25t and the new flight model in Flaming Cliffs. And since you should be spending a lot of your time hugging the terrain you won't need those extended 'draw' distances either, so you can turn down the screenery for more performance.

It'll be cool, I'm sure.

This our hobby - not our job - if we are not having a laugh, we're doing it wrong. - Rats

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a few words of comfort if you're worried about FPS. A simulated helo can be flown as effectively at a lower frame rate than you would expect from a fighter simulaiton.

While a high FPS rate does yeild a more satisfying experience ( < he says stating the bleeding obvious) you're not so reliant on positional feedback, you're not performing high energy turns (often anyway). From personal experience, a mean FPS of 14.0 is the lowest adequate update rate for helicopter control, this is not as demanding as fighter sims where fluid motion is needed for constant corrective inputs.

From what I've seen of the videos, there's probably not much difference in performance with the Su-25t and the new flight model in Flaming Cliffs. And since you should be spending a lot of your time hugging the terrain you won't need those extended 'draw' distances either, so you can turn down the screenery for more performance.

It'll be cool, I'm sure.

I don't think i agree with you there sorry.

Whilst flying through a city, in between buildings at 10 feet AGL whilst rotating 90 degrees to turn in the next street at high speed.

Do that at 14 fps and you are in for a spot of bother.

• Like 1

All that I've read from the other testers says that it runs at least as well as FC & possibly better?

I've got the same info.

One of those men who test LOBS, told me that he's got there about the same FPS as in LOFC. Just one note: his hardware is quite old, video card having only 128M of memory, and he is saying that it's not enough when sitting in Ka-50's cockpit. 256M is recommended.

I don't think i agree with you there sorry.

Whilst flying through a city, in between buildings at 10 feet AGL whilst rotating 90 degrees to turn in the next street at high speed.

Do that at 14 fps and you are in for a spot of bother.

Yes, given that (possibly) worst case scenario it would be problematic. Generally you're not re-making "Blue Thunder" in combat helicopters though :)

Neither would such a low frame-rate of 14 fps be practical with Track-IR either. But in general it's adequate. 15 is better, 20 great, 25+ and you're laughing. :lol:

Pilots wouldn't perform such crazy manuvers when visual feedback was so poor, equate low FPS with thick fog. You fly in 'response' in a helo rather than in 'command', meaning your environment dictates your actions much more so than open skies. That applies to physical environments and simulated feedback I think.

14 fps is far from ideal, I'm just stating that it's the lowest practical rate for helo flight in my experience, of course situations will vary that's a given. Personally I can't maintain a manual hover without one external fixed reference point and a min FPS of 20 (even then it gets messy). Not to mention the powered descents into the ground I make when lots of dust gets kicked up and the frame rate drops to a level where I don't realise it's happening until it's pancake time.

• Like 1

This our hobby - not our job - if we are not having a laugh, we're doing it wrong. - Rats

FPS in the BS is very similar to that in FC. It -might- be a touch lower, I honestly cannot tell (and I have a pretty old computer, so if there was a serious drop I'd feel it) ... the issue with BS is, of course, that you're flying in an environment which eats frame rates - ie close tot he ground, potentially close to a lot of buildings etc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

GG, would you mind posting your system specs and (if allowed to by the NDA I assume you're tied to) a rough ballpark figure for the sort of FPS ranges you're seeing at what GFX settings?

I've also got an old PC and no possibility of upgrading at the moment, and I must admit this is something that's been worrying me since the forst screenshots starte to appear.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about the engine performance, the official motor sich site says the turbine can produce 2400 kgf in emergency mode. Will we gat that in 1.2, or will the maximum hp be 2200 (-100 for the dust removers).

Oh, and will we be able to fly versions without the intake dust covers?

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

GG, would you mind posting your system specs and (if allowed to by the NDA I assume you're tied to) a rough ballpark figure for the sort of FPS ranges you're seeing at what GFX settings?

I've also got an old PC and no possibility of upgrading at the moment, and I must admit this is something that's been worrying me since the forst screenshots starte to appear.

Sorry, I just saw your post!

CPU: Athlon XP 2400+

GPU: Nvidia 6600 (plain)

RAM: 1GB DDR2

Sound: Audigy 1

I get about 14FPS at the lowest (it can go down to 9 under certain circumstances, plus stutter) and when flying higher about 20-30FPS average (I usually fly fighters so this works for me)

I have Textures on high, everything else pretty much medium, haze advanced, I've turned off AA and I only have a bit of AF.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• 4 weeks later...
I have a question about the engine performance, the official motor sich site says the turbine can produce 2400 kgf in emergency mode. Will we gat that in 1.2, or will the maximum hp be 2200 (-100 for the dust removers).

Oh, and will we be able to fly versions without the intake dust covers?

A little correction- turboshaft's engine power is given not in kgf but in kW or HP. They are designed intentionally to reduce the jet propulsive force to minimum and to convert the flow's energy into driving force of the free turbine.

The 'emergency' 2400hp mode of the TV3-117VMA is turned on automaticaly by the electronic control unit ERD-3VMA in OEI conditions(One Engine Inoperative) i.e. when the other engine is shut down. With both engines runing the max power is 2200hp(2100 for engines with dust protectors).

As for the dust protectors- they are standart equipement for all CAS russian helicopters that use the TV3-117. Only the naval helicopters like Mi-14 and Ka-27 fly without them, assuming that they fly over sea mostly.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

• 4 weeks later...

Anything new about dual-core support for 1.2 version? Will it? ED, please, will it support dual-core???

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

• 1 month later...
  • ED Team

While too early speak about this.

Единственный урок, который можно извлечь из истории, состоит в том, что люди не извлекают из истории никаких уроков. (С) Джордж Бернард Шоу

• 3 weeks later...

Look at the other heli there - Ka-27 if I am not mistaken. This is filling the same role the Ka-52 would be filling: C2 for the flight.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That's the Ка-29ВПНЦУ(VPNTzU), a CAS version of the Ka-27 eqipped with the Shkval complex.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

There's more to it than that, IIRC - that particular heli was modified with C2 gear for the Ka-50 group - the same that the Ka-52 is supposed to carry.

I think they equipped two Ka-29's thus.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, Ka-29ВПНЦУ used as a helicopter of aiming and management of group for Ka-50 in Chechne, but can execute this function any KA-50, Ka-29ВПНЦУ it is a test helicopter for working off conception not moreover, basic helicopter for aiming and distributing of aims in a group KA-52.

Открылась бездна звезд полна;

Звездам числа нет, бездне дна. (М. В. Ломоносов)

Hi all!

While this question has been somewhat asked and somewhat answered, I will ask it in my own way in the hopes of getting a different answer.

My understanding of things is that information must be available to the public, or at least not classified, in order for a company like ED to realistically model some or all of the systems that make up the Black Shark. Assuming that I am correct, is it possible to access documents or manuals for aspects of the Black Shark, such as the ABRIS? I understand that ED cannot/will not release the manual for their sim, but there must exist manuals for the systems as they exist in real life. Are any of them available as a means to begin studying for when we see these systems in ED's Blackshark?

I would guess no, else they would have already been posted. However, if they do not exist in the public sphere, does ED have special agreements to gain access to the information?

Thanks guys!