question about CDDS option

I'm about to do a complete reinstall of lock on FC and all the skins and mods. Just one small question occurs to mind, i see a lot of mods and skins says "UNCHECK THE CDDS OPTION." Is it best to leave it off for everything? What is wrong if i leave it on?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Modman seems to have lost the ability to insert textures into the CDDS files without corrupting them. If you try it, you'll probably need to re-install to get things right again.

You can still put textures into the CDDS files with Modman, but you have to do it manually, through the CDDS browser function. This can only be done if the files are the same size as the originals. For example, hi-res Su-33 skins won't fit into the CDDS files.

At least this is how it has been working for me. I'd like to hear from anyone who is getting files into the CDDS files with no problems.

Actually, i have the cdds option highlighted on all the time except when the mod/skin tells me to install it in modman with that option off. Otherwise i just leave it on and everything works fine. Sometimes if it doesnt work then i switch the option from the opposite that it was and the mods/skins install great. It doesnt hurt me to leave it on unless specified by the mod author in the readme. or if it is an obvious cdds file.

Up until now, I didn't know this problem because I don't use ModMan often. Why? ModMan doesn't run if Japanese is selected in Regional and Language Options in Windows Control Panels.

Anyway I did some quick checks and found my LoMan 2.1 patch could solve this ModMan problem, too. Rename the patch file from 'cddsindex.txt' to 'CID_fc.txt' and replace it with the original in 'ModMan\required' folder. Then you can leave the CDDS option checked always.

I attached the renamed 'CID_fc.txt' to this massage. You might want to try it.

CID_fc.zip

TekaTeka from Japan

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Visit my site Beyond Visual Range.

What if the mod textures are a higher resolution than the default textures in the CDDS file? Will it work for .tga files?

It should work fine in both cases.

ModMan doesn't try to insert the textures in CDDS if these sizes are different from the originals. The text file I modified is the list of all textures in all CDDS files. I removed the old and not-used names (which caused the F-15 problems) and the tga names that ModMan cannot handle properly. ModMan will do the CDDS insertions only when the textures are in the list. So, no more bad insertion will happen.

• Like 1

TekaTeka from Japan

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

I've replaced the text file with TekaTeka's but I'm still not getting F-15 skins to install in the CDDS files. The textures will install by hand, so there is no problem with the files themselves. They are named exactly as the text file lists them and upon adding them to the add-on pack, Modman is assigning them to the right CDDS file, but when they install they just go into the World folder, not the CDDS files. They are in BMP format. Would making them in DDS format help in any way?

edit: actually, the first time I tried installing the skin, they went to the TempTextures folder. I wasn't positive I told it the right installation folder, because the add-on had the TempTextures folder as the target folder. Either it changed it itself or I set it wrong. But after that, I definitely had the Bazar/World/ folder chosen and the files were put there without going into the CDDS.

I've replaced the text file with TekaTeka's but I'm still not getting F-15 skins to install in the CDDS files. The textures will install by hand, so there is no problem with the files themselves. They are named exactly as the text file lists them and upon adding them to the add-on pack, Modman is assigning them to the right CDDS file, but when they install they just go into the World folder, not the CDDS files. They are in BMP format. Would making them in DDS format help in any way?

edit: actually, the first time I tried installing the skin, they went to the TempTextures folder. I wasn't positive I told it the right installation folder, because the add-on had the TempTextures folder as the target folder. Either it changed it itself or I set it wrong. But after that, I definitely had the Bazar/World/ folder chosen and the files were put there without going into the CDDS.

I checked F-15 textures and confirmed they can be installed in the right CDDS files.

Make sure your textures have correct size. The body textures are 2048x2048, the fin textures are 1024x512.

You can leave the install folder as Bazar\Temp Textures\ .

TekaTeka from Japan

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 10 months later...

New people are not aware of this patch for Modman here is a bump. I looked for this patch on Teka teka's site but could not find it :thumbup:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

• 2 years later...

I know it's an ancient thread but I have a problem with ModMan 7, being that I can't install dds files into the cdds directories if they are a higher resolution, which is needed for the ModMan version of 3GO Flanker.

Problem here is I have v1.02 of Lomac, so the FC fix for LoMan doesn't work for me.

Is there a CID_lockon fix available, like Teka Teka's CID_fc one but for v1.0x ?

I can't even install the necessary dds files manually. Putting them into the temptextures folder does nothing. And the CDDS Studio I downloaded seems broken, it won't make cdds files (so I can't make a new CDDS directory and refer to it using the MeInit.xml), part 2 of the download is just some corrupted files that are already in part 1.