Check this out: NEw SIM based on Falcon 4 engine.

I wouldnt even bother looking at this SIM if it wasnt the fact that they are remodeling the whole Flight model and balistics data, and graphics too, to a certain extent.

Heres the site:

http://www.saafops.com/comersus/store/saafops_index.asp

a preview article:

http://www.saafops.com/SAAFOPS/dropzone/NAGPreview.pdf

On a side note, it will be FREE in the download version, but there will be also a payware DVD version with extra content for hardcore simmers who wish to own a hard copy.

The SIm will feature South africa theater, fliable Mirage Cheetah, impala, mirage F-1, Hawk, mig-21, mig-23, Su-27UB and last but not least.... Gripen (yes you read right).

heres some pics:

2006-06-11_015349.jpg2006-06-11_022044.jpg

2006-06-04_185000.jpg2006-06-08_003651.jpg

2006-06-07_162314.jpg2006-06-08_125957.jpg

^^^^This pit belongs to the Hawk light fighter, with both front and rear seats modeled.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Mire pics:

saafops_bg4.jpg

saafops_bg2_1.jpg

The extra content on the payware DVD version:

vlamgatad.jpg

cheetahad.jpg

My PC specs below:

My PC specs below:

I just posted that in the last 2 pics I show above.

My PC specs below:

oh ok, so there would be no difference in the actual gameplay between the payware and the download version. Only the payware version will have some nice aviation stuff like pics, videos, and manauls...etc. I hope one day Lock On's engine can be heavily modified like Falcon's. Imagine one day a huge pack like SAAFOPS, FF, SP, or OF that complete revamp Lock On's FM, models, cockpits...etc. That would be awesome. Of course that did take Falcon like 10 years after its release so i guess we got quite a lot of wait too haha.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

hmm...so just to clarify, this is a complete, stand-alone Sim based on the Falcon engine, for anyone to download and play? How could that be possible if it's based off the Falcon engine?

Also, it seems like it still plagued by 2D cockpits. If so, I doubt this will get much time on my system, nomatter how good the dynamics or graphics are, how could I get used to it after being spoiled by full LOMAC's full 3D modeled cockpit immersion!

But if it's free, I definitely will give it a try. Full respect to the development team!

SU-30MKI

simvavatarhornetqg8.jpg

F/A-18F

...Beauty, grace, lethality.

Also, it seems like it still plagued by 2D cockpits.

I totally agree with you here, 2d pits ARE a plague, my #1 hangup with the F4 series. Still, the flyable choices are intriguing, I will probably give this one a try.

3D cockpits are overrated as a pilot you want functionality. As a sim developer you want functionality... as a gamer... well I guess you want 3D to add to the world of make believe... :pilotfly:

My mission is to fly, fight, and win. o-:|:-o What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.

I totally agree with you here, 2d pits ARE a plague, my #1 hangup with the F4 series. Still, the flyable choices are intriguing, I will probably give this one a try.

2D pits are only part of the game, if you had a 3D pit and paper plane flight model and omni potent missiles would you still play it?

My PC specs below:

it looks like it does uses the F-16 avionics, just take a look at the DED, its going off the panel. Then again, a lot of people in lock on uses that enable cockpit or whatever (i don't) to enable other flyables with the Su-27/F-15 cockpit. I personally don't see the point in that other than making lock on movies.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Some info on the delay:

http://games.saix.net/cgi-bin/sgsbb/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=163;t=43435

This is from our local website. As a Saffer (South African!) I'm obviously going to be supporting it 100%. After all, there aren't any other SA themed sims, at all, ever! These guys are really trying hard. It's pointless trying to compare it to Lock On, or complaining about lack of modern graphics etc, as it's clearly based on what is/was available, ie the F4 engine. I'm sure some aircraft will be using the F16's avionics (esp. the modern stuff), but they've been doing some interesting stuff for the older Mirages/Impalas etc.

The supporting material on the DVD is worth it anyway. It's not just video's, pictures etc, but complete books. I've already read Vlamgat (literal translation: Flaming Ass (!) The Afrikaans slang name for fighter pilots), and it's well worth the read. The SAAF managed to achieve quite a lot with limited resources, and of course despite the arms embargo.

Having worked in Angola for a little while (flying for the Red Cross), I've seen plenty of wreckage lying around, and wondered exactly what went on there. After all, it was my fellow countrymen doing a lot of the wrecking, albeit an older generation. The current government wants nothing to do with anything from the 'bad old days', so of course much military history is ignored or forgotten, since (by their logic), *anything* to do with the previous government is automatically worse than anything the Nazi's ever did in WW2. And of course witness their ridiculous police raid on the military history museum in Johannesburg (which has some very nice stuff, FW190, Me262, Spitfire, Mozzie, Hurricane, Sherman, G6, etc, amongst other newer SA hardware) claiming "one of those cannons could raze Soweto to the ground in minutes!" Have you ever heard of such immense cluelessness??! I am (of course) utterly uninterested in the SA politics of those days (also a bit painfully clueless), but only in the military side of the history, so books like these, and sims like this potential one, have my attention. I do understand that not everyone will care - but hey, if it's for free....

Judging by the screenies, all the flyables will still use F16 avionics. And if that's the case, what's the point?

it looks like it does uses the F-16 avionics, just take a look at the DED, its going off the panel. Then again, a lot of people in lock on uses that enable cockpit or whatever (i don't) to enable other flyables with the Su-27/F-15 cockpit. I personally don't see the point in that other than making lock on movies.

Actualy they said they followed each aircraft manuals and that all instruments will be there, of course the aircraft using MFD's will be using Falcons MFD modeling. Their mirages wont have any MFD's. Lets see how their Gripen will turn out to be.

My PC specs below:

I play F4AF probably more than LockOn so I'm very interested in this sim.

Abit IN9 32x MAX- Kentsfield QX6700 @3520

1.5 vcore watercooled D-Tek Fuzion/PA-160/MCR120/2x MCP655

2x2GB G-Skill 1066 5-5-5-15 2T@1.9vdimm

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

A little historie:

The project was started a few years ago by our squad founder and webmaster 666th_Maddog after he found out that he could use textures from MS-flightsim and put them into F4. He first started a thread on this on our website but the project soon got out of hand and Maddogs' involvement in the 666th squad faded.

He soon renamed the site from www.666th.com to www.combat360.com and after several server problems in South-africa both domains were canceled and the project is continued on the fore mentioned site.

The "666th black brigade" logo can still be found on the leaflets and CD-covers posted in this thread.

Knowing Maddog (the perfectionist that he is) my fear is that it's a never-ending project. A well, will see.

The 666th are now to be found on www.666th.co.uk

DELL Inspiron 1564 / Intel Core i3 M330 @ 2.13GHz (4GB)___ATI Radeon HD4330(512Mb)___Windows7 Home Premium 64bit

I would support this and will get it assuming it will be released in good shape. The reason I would get it? The chance to fly other aircraft and theaters.

I fly LOCKON for and enjoy it for many reason, one being that you have different aircraft with different cockpits, systems, weapons modelled in game. I fly Falcon AF in order to fly F-16 and two different theaters. The Dynamic campaign is very good as well and enjoy the fact that I can hop into a sortie and fly without having to make a mission like I do in Lockon. I would fly this SAAF mod of Falcon in order to experience more and different aircraft in another theater.

I've been looking at the screenshots of the sim. They've got some good cockpit panels there. Theater is very interesting. We'll wait and see on flight models and avionics. Looks promising to me. I hope they succeed because IMHO, it would be a great thing for our community.:thumbup: