Dual NVidia 8800GTS SLI Problem

Hi all,

I have an ASUS Striker Extreme mob with 2 8800GTS's in SLI.

SLI is working fine for DOOM 3, etc but LOMAC shows little performance gain at all which is a real bugger as I bought the second GPU to really boost the fps in LOMAC.

When I am on the deck at about 200 feet in cockpit view shows I am getting about 18fps but the external view at same altitude shows about 30fps.

NVidia show SLI Visual Indicators actually indicates that in external view I am getting a slight GPU load sharing (and the 30fps), but in cockpit view I get no GPU load sharing (and 18fps).

I suppose this is a LOMAC restriction and somehow SLI doesn't work in cockpit view mode .

Could someone explain why SLI doesn't seem to be a benefit in this sim.

Thanks,

GeoffP.

Hi, first thing you should know about Lock On is that is it is #1 CPU limited. My advice is don't use High scenery settings with high visibility range.. that will kill the fastest's current CPU's. Visibility range has to be medium at most, or if you want you can custom tweak graphics.cfg file to your liking. I see you are new to these forums so... you'll need to read a bit here before you see ll the things you should and can do to get good performance out of lock on.

Your video card setup is more then enough to run the graphics, so you can use highest possible settings in that regard... but Lock On is very heavily despendant on CPU... and using large number of structures will bring any current CPU to its knees (and that means frame rates to even single digit)

No longer active in DCS...

By the way... Lock On does not utilise 2 cores at once and it can have some stuttering on some machines unless lockon.exe is not set to run on a single core only.

So basically Lockon will not benefit from multi core CPU's unless you are using multiple applications such as TeamSpeak (or ny other comms program), TrackIR, etc and have them to run on 1 core and set Lockon to run on another core, which is what most of us are doing, including myself.

I have a Core 2 Duo E6600 overclocked to 3GHz and it's good enough to run mirrors on high scenery and all other graphics settings on high quality but if the visibility distance is seto too high and you fly near cities... you simply get thousands of ground objects wish get the frame rate quite low... On my end I get as low as 10FPS over large cities flying low... and in most cases it's around 30-40 FPS. Flying high is not problem but flying low over cities is.

Thanks guys,

Looks like my investment in a 2nd GPU for LOCKON is a waste of money, HOWEVER it is certainly a bonus for games that let me utilise the SLI capabilities.

I will certainly be changing LOMAC to run on CPU # 2, and play with the settings a bit more in MODMAN to try and increase fps when I'm down in the dirt (like my A10) :thumbup:

Thanks for the confirmations re my initial misunderstandings on more GPU power is good for LOMAC (which it isn't).

By the way... Lock On does not utilise 2 cores at once and it can have some stuttering on some machines unless lockon.exe is not set to run on a single core only.

So basically Lockon will not benefit from multi core CPU's unless you are using multiple applications such as TeamSpeak (or ny other comms program), TrackIR, etc and have them to run on 1 core and set Lockon to run on another core, which is what most of us are doing, including myself.

I have a Core 2 Duo E6600 overclocked to 3GHz and it's good enough to run mirrors on high scenery and all other graphics settings on high quality but if the visibility distance is seto too high and you fly near cities... you simply get thousands of ground objects wish get the frame rate quite low... On my end I get as low as 10FPS over large cities flying low... and in most cases it's around 30-40 FPS. Flying high is not problem but flying low over cities is.

What configuration options do you use to get LOMAC to run on another core (i.e. 2nd core I suppose)???

It would help in Lomac if you played in a very high resolution. But anything bellow 1600x1200 is nothing for a 8800 wont even make it sweat. Get a 30 inch monitor crank the rez to ~2500x1900 and youll see you get the same fps as you do now...except youll hear those 2 8800's screaming for more.

I'm kinda stuck at 1680x1050 (native resolution of my monitor - Samsung SyncMaster 215TW).

Just bought it not long ago, don't think the wife would appreciate a big cost outlay for a 30" monitor - I sure as hell would, but we have to be logical now, don't we..

What configuration options do you use to get LOMAC to run on another core (i.e. 2nd core I suppose)???

Just download utility called Procaff... (here is the web of a guy who made it that has download link: http://www.stefan-kuhr.de/procaff/main.php3) place the procaff.exe anywhere on your HDD (I place it into C:\WINDOWS directory) then edit the target value of your LockOn shortcut like this:

C:\WINDOWS\procaff.exe /run 1 "C:\Program Files\....\lockon.exe"

to run on 1st core

or

C:\WINDOWS\procaff.exe /run 2 "C:\Program Files\....\lockon.exe"

to run on 2st core

"C:\Program Files\....\lockon.exe" would be the location of your LockOn exe file and maybe differ from user to user, depending where you installed it. In my case it is "D:\Lock-On\LockOn.exe"

You can do the same with other applications (i.e. TrackIR, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak etc...) in same manner. Hope that explains it good.

I'm kinda stuck at 1680x1050 (native resolution of my monitor - Samsung SyncMaster 215TW).

Just bought it not long ago, don't think the wife would appreciate a big cost outlay for a 30" monitor - I sure as hell would, but we have to be logical now, don't we..

I just recently upgraded my monitor from 19" to 22" and was very tempted to get this Apple 30" monitor, but then thought to myself, if I did get that one, I would have to spend just over AUD$3000 for it and also most likely need to buy another video card to run Crossfire... and that would be another AUD$700 or so.

The Samsung 22" I got had mane me very satisfied and glad I did not go crazy with the 30" or even 24" monitors. Sure they are even biger but the cost over size is way too much :) and not to mention I would get executed by my dad as well as girlfriend :D