Sidewinder performance

If ED could do some reverse engineering on that miniZAP.EXE and reuse that code it would be a big improvement! Consider the speed of calculation done in real time by miniZAP that would not be a major FPS killer if integrated in Black Shark.

DELL Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 940 2,93 GHz @3 GHz, 8 MB cache | 8.192 MB 1.067 MHz Tri Channel DDR3

| 512 MB ATI® Radeon™ 4850 | 500 GB 7200 rpm Serial ATA | Samsung SM 2693 HM 25.5 " | HOTAS Cougar Thrustmaster |

Only because I didn't have it handy SK.

Minizap seems to fall right between the two, which perhaps you'd expect from a missile that had an incremental improvement over the 9 in that PDF.

I'm not so sure about that. Is there any data that shows any aerodynamic or thrust improvements made to the Lima to result in the Mike? All I see are improvements like this: "It features a reduced-smoke rocket motor, an improved guidance section designated WGU-4/B, better countermeasures resistance (IRCCM - Infrared Counter-Countermeasures), and improved overall reliability."

Changes to guidance alone can improve range performance, within the weapon's ballistic flight limits I suppose.

According to this: http://www.navy.mil/navydata/fact_display.asp?cid=2200&tid=1000&ct=2

They claim a range of 16km, which is a couple km less than minizap's prediction at 10000' (but I can make minizap match this as well so ... who knows). The rocket motor upgrade was supposed to be 'incremental' which to me would imply slightly better range from the previous version, though what 'slightly better range' means, who knows. 10%? 20%? :)

I'd say that this validates minizap as a /reasonable/ approximation. It may over or under estimate in some cases, but not by a radically huge amount it's basically good enough to allow you to check whether there are large deviations from what 'should be'.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I'm not so sure about that. Is there any data that shows any aerodynamic or thrust improvements made to the Lima to result in the Mike? All I see are improvements like this: "It features a reduced-smoke rocket motor, an improved guidance section designated WGU-4/B, better countermeasures resistance (IRCCM - Infrared Counter-Countermeasures), and improved overall reliability."

Me too - AFAIK there were no ballistic changes to the AIM-9 when production jumped from the Lima to Mike.

sigzk5.jpg