Head movements..

Kuky the subject of this is not the missiles but the head movements that Lockon lack. Look IL2 at the end witch is older No 6DOF but have this head movements witch is fantastic.. This is very important to get with the future. Lockon right now is the "worse" of all sims in regard of Head movements in the cockpits Missile guns or not. Not talking even of this Bubble effect...

It's not even a question of 6DOF but when you wank the stick one side to the other on il2 the effect is superb while in Lonckon it's static like was CFS3 or 2, a little movements on roll or side to side like in IL2 would look so much better for Lockon.

We can see sooo much work done into tanks and ground units but just a bit of this IL2 1946 style effects effect into our favorite sim would make it so much better .. and up to date.

I added those effects on different ones with success myself btw.

There is a "natural head movement" function in LO. But as it makes dogfighting more difficult I prefer to let it switched off.

Have a look on the keymap. You should find it somewhere there.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

surely LockOn does lack in few areas but no sim is perfect. I don't think this head movement is so much of an issue... at least its not for me. As for future products you should see ED is doing exactly this... adding g dof for all their future releases and I think most other sims will be doing the same. LockOn was released 4 years ago... FSX is very recent. IL-2... well that's a classic :D

LockOn does have this "shake" function beside the natural head movement which I think adds quite a lof to natural shaking of the aircraft occuring during flight. The only thing I don't like about it is that when I am looking for ground targets it makes it almost impossible as the whole screen is shaking... cockpit and ground (I think ground should not appear to be shaking as it's far away from pilot pov)

but anyway... I flew IL-2 for few years extensively and I know what it feel like... I "had" to comment on lack of FSX just because that is just so boring for me to just fly around even if it does looks so good and FSX has 6 dof... I did not intend to start any flame wars here :D

No longer active in DCS...

6DOF on lockon would be a dream for sure... but at list at minimum to have some head slide with the G forces wich is so real and important like the classic older il2 1946..

Guns and missile only are not what make a sim..

I hope this youtube video that i quickly made would be reported to the ED team.

In the other side the FM need a little bit of work even not changing all to a Su25T FM but common.. loop around with a mig 29 or su27 and you will see how incorrect it is , Just a bit of work wouldn't kill the sim or the FM makers even IL2 have some great point with an older engine..

Why is it that the cockpit in IL2 in that video looks way better than the ones in Lock on? If lock on did have the head movement as in IL2 in that vid that would be pretty sweet because lets face it we send 95% of the time in the cockpit so why not upgrade them to make the flying more real life. Im using a mouse right now but when I turn my head in the cockpit the panel looks like its 2D instead of 3D. I hate it when that happens lol!

• Like 1

No need to have track ir to have it in IL2, This is separate from Trackir.. same with FSX head moves.

This is a Great little trick to make the cockpit so much better.

Here an example that i tweaked for Bob2 this will give you a good idea as well.

And a more my tweaks for FSX

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48yQVg9bmHU

Here a typical example of why Lockon need to have some changes..

As you can see the pilots do NOT move their head and also there are no turbulences while flying....like Lockon for some.. Sureee Righttttt!!!! ... :music_whistling::huh::pilotfly:

Many beleive that flying an aircraft is like driving a car on a completely smooth race track... with a pivot head locked

I hope this youtube video that i quickly made would be reported to the ED team.

To ED, its entirely useless for anything but the KA-50,

in order for your head to move sideways as if you are shaking you need a full 3d cockpit, think about it, if you are bumped to the right in your seat, You should see a another view that you never do while sitting straight (duh).

Full 3d cockpits is nothing they can just add like that, it would involve some serious rewriting of the engine, and I guess the only time we will see something of that magnitude ever happening would be the F-16 vs Mig-29 sim if it ever gets developed

The community newbie

http://winsbydefault.com/pics/dctf1ibxh7.gif

Replace this image! It's too big! © Administration

(max size: 150pix height, 50kb)

And that video only shows you how unrealistic and not up to BS standard those FSX head movements are. The view there pivots around the middle of the eyes, while it should do so around the neck!

Never forget that World War III was not Cold for most of us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48yQVg9bmHU

Here a typical example of why Lockon need to have some changes..

As you can see the pilots do NOT move their head and also there are no turbulences while flying....like Lockon for some.. Sureee Righttttt!!!! ... :music_whistling::huh::pilotfly:

Many beleive that flying an aircraft is like driving a car on a completely smooth race track... with a pivot head locked

Nice video...

I wonder how a pilot can move (his body) in that way ...

I always thought they are strapped very fast in their seats. Do they untighten the belts while flying?

And, what are they shooting at in this video ... is it a real combat situation? It looks so real...

Well Look here.

Are we going to have this ability for the next release ?

Obviously it's negative point of Lock-On.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core i7-6700K, @5GHz | Asus Maximus Hero VIII | 2 x eVGA GTX 970 SLI | Kingston Predator 16GB DDR4-3000Mhz | 2 x Samsung 850 PRO 240GB RAID-0 | AOC G2460PG G-SYNC LCD | OCULUS RIFT CV1 VR | THRUSTMASTER HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO PEDALS

Re head movements in 3D

In order to move the PoV position within the cockpit, you need an accurate and fully-functional 3D model of the cockpit. AFAIK it doesn't need that much more in the way of code changes.

Lomac and FC do not have these full-3D cockpits. It essentially requires you to build a new cockpit 3D model from scratch.

This has been done for the Ka50 in Black Shark, but not any other aircraft yet. It's somewhat time-consuming, and all ED's efforts are focussed on the Ka50.

My understanding is that such models can be constructed by the community, as long as the animation arguments concerning the dials all tie up properly.

Any volunteers?

Nice video...

I wonder how a pilot can move (his body) in that way ...

I always thought they are strapped very fast in their seats. Do they untighten the belts while flying?

And, what are they shooting at in this video ... is it a real combat situation? It looks so real...

They're shooting at remote-controlled F-4 fighters. It's considered pretty good training :)

Well KA50 is a whole different matter since it is clickable.. but for the other crafts i can care less for now but for the little quantity of Aircrafts we have i really think the guys doing the tanks can easily make a 3D box for them. Or maybe why not make a note for MEMBERS 3D makers to actually participate to make them... if this would of been take care years ago we would have them already.. How many time i've seen 3D makerS asking for the 3D max pluggin to work on... .. Such a shame.