Algeria returns 'faulty' MiG-29s

TorwaK

Algeria returns 'faulty' MiG-29s

By Vladimir Karnozov

Algeria is returning 12 RSK MiG-29SMT single-seat fighters and UBT-model trainers to Russia, after refusing to accept the aircraft amid allegations of poor manufacturing quality.

The aircraft are part of a package for 34 MiG-29SMT/UBTs worth $1.3 billion, with an additional $500 million for the modernisation of 36 early-model MiG-29s acquired for $18 million each from Belarus and Ukraine.

These should have been upgraded to the SMT/UBT standard, but following shipment of the first batch last year, the Algerian air force found that some "new" equipment actually dated back to the early 1990s, when the aircraft had been manufactured.

RSK MiG says all avionics and targeting equipment supplied with the aircraft is new, and reflects its current production variants.

Algeria also took delivery of its first three of 28 Sukhoi Su-30MKA two-seat multirole fighters between December 2007 and January, and is now negotiating with Russia's Rosoboronexport arms agency for a further batch of the aircraft to replace its unwanted MiGs.

Sources say Algeria also wants to use some of the money from the abandoned deal to buy additional Yakovlev Yak-130A trainers, with these to join 16 aircraft ordered with the MiG and Sukhoi fighters as part of a wider arms package worth $8 billion signed with Russia in 2006.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2008/02/25/221771/algeria-returns-faulty-mig-29s.html

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core i7-6700K, @5GHz | Asus Maximus Hero VIII | 2 x eVGA GTX 970 SLI | Kingston Predator 16GB DDR4-3000Mhz | 2 x Samsung 850 PRO 240GB RAID-0 | AOC G2460PG G-SYNC LCD | OCULUS RIFT CV1 VR | THRUSTMASTER HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO PEDALS

• 2 weeks later...

I am sure there will be buyers out there.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I am sure there will be buyers out there.

Yeah, like, can I buy one? The one in the picture looks nice, I like the camo scheme. I wonder how Mikoyan will check my credit... :pilotfly:

EDIT: I wonder if I'd be able to put a DVD player in the cockpit and get it to play on those MFDs for an in-flight movie. The aspect ratio is all wrong though.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
More Algierian SMT pics:

MIG-29SMT%2BFC-14%2B3017%2BARGELINO%2B1.JPG

MIG-29SMT%2BFC-14%2B3017%2BARGELINO%2B2.JPG

MIG-29SMT%2BFC-14%2B3017%2BARGELINO%2B3.JPG

MIG-29SMT%2BFC-14%2B3017%2BARGELINO%2B4.JPG

New 100% Stealth technology? ;]

Edited by Boberro

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

More Algierian SMT pics:

MIG-29SMT%2BFC-14%2B3017%2BARGELINO%2B1.JPG

MIG-29SMT%2BFC-14%2B3017%2BARGELINO%2B2.JPG

MIG-29SMT%2BFC-14%2B3017%2BARGELINO%2B3.JPG

MIG-29SMT%2BFC-14%2B3017%2BARGELINO%2B4.JPG

I can't see the pictures? Anybody else?

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

No pictures here either.

It seems MIG has been saved from bankrupcy by a last minute deal with Peru for SMT upgrades of their own 29's. Future does look bleak for MIG though. After this deal and Indias Mig-29M theres no forseable orders for the mig incliding the 35's.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

If these allegations are proven, It's a real shame for the MiG company.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

It seems MIG has been saved from bankrupcy by a last minute deal with Peru for SMT upgrades of their own 29's. Future does look bleak for MIG though. After this deal and Indias Mig-29M theres no forseable orders for the mig incliding the 35's.

You haven't mentioned the MiG-29K deal, though there's really a hard time for the MiG.

If these allegations are proven, It's a real shame for the MiG company.

These doom & gloom predictions about MIG have been persistent ever since the break-up of SU and so far proved wrong.

I fail to see why MIG should face a particular bleak future at this point in time. They finally closed the much anticipated MiG-29K/KUB order in connection with the Gorshkov deal and since India seems determined to go ahead with its own carrier projects, the initial batch of 16 units is likely to be followed by more.

Moreover, there is the IAF multirole fighter tender in which the MiG-35 would seem a strong contender - not least in light of the above.

JJ

But the Migs still have the disadvantage of short range. So is the Mig that much cheaper in purchase, maintenance etc. to be chosen above the competition?

MSI 870A-G54, AMD Phenom II X2 555 @Phenom II X4 B55 BE, 3.2 GHz quad-core, Asus EAH4870 DK/HTDI/512MD5, OCZ Gold Edition DDR3 1333MHz 4GB Kit Low-Voltage. Budget = Cheap = Good :D

I don't know what you mean by short range - its no shorter than for other fighters of same class and the Indian fighter tender is exactly for multirole aircraft of small to medium size(otherwise the logical choice would be simply to order more Su-30MKIs) to replace current MiG-21s and(I believe) MiG-23/27.

JJ

You probably know the number better then me... :)

The Mig-35 is contending in India with the Eurofighter Typhoon, F/A-18E/F Super Hornet, Dassault Rafale, JAS 39 Gripen and F-16 Falcon, from what I could find on Google. But aren't at least the Typhoon and F/A-18E/F similar in size, range etc as the Sukhoi's? So why not just buy more SU-30MKI's?

MSI 870A-G54, AMD Phenom II X2 555 @Phenom II X4 B55 BE, 3.2 GHz quad-core, Asus EAH4870 DK/HTDI/512MD5, OCZ Gold Edition DDR3 1333MHz 4GB Kit Low-Voltage. Budget = Cheap = Good :D

You probably know the number better then me... :)

The Mig-35 is contending in India with the Eurofighter Typhoon, F/A-18E/F Super Hornet, Dassault Rafale, JAS 39 Gripen and F-16 Falcon, from what I could find on Google.

Yup :) .

But aren't at least the Typhoon and F/A-18E/F similar in size, range etc as the Sukhoi's?

Nope - the F/A-18E/F is very similar in size to the MiG-29M2/35.

The Su-30MKI is much larger than all of them.

JJ

I'll repeat my comment from the first page.

Mikoyan going out of business? Can I buy a MiG-29? :)

EDIT:

i wonder if they could sell a civilian version of the mig-29 that would be cool

I missed this from the first page. Great minds think alike. ;)

In all seriousness (who says I'm joking about wanting one? ;) ), wasn't there some plan of Russia's to consolidate Mikoyan, Sukhoi, and possibly others under one company?

Edited by RedTiger

• 4 weeks later...