Dual monitor support

I heard people using two monitors with single PC to display various data on 2nd monitor. My video card is NVIDIA 5900 and i need to kow how can I set up two monitors so that I could see radar screen on second monitor?

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

You can't do THAT. They can display things like airspeed, AoA etc on 2nd monitor but not RWR or Radar for example.

That -may- be possible in 1.1 though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

You can't do THAT. They can display things like airspeed, AoA etc on 2nd monitor but not RWR or Radar for example.

That -may- be possible in 1.1 though.

All right! Do youknow how can airspeed, AoA be displayed on second monitor?

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I do...it uses the LUA export features, so you write your own software to display this stuff. I know that someone wrote and made available this stuff on the ubi board ... you'll have to search through it - it was done in Java, and may be available on checksix or some other site which hosts lomac downloads. I haven't checked up for it on a while (wasn't actually all that useful ... I mean sure, you could black out and still read your stuff...kinda cheating there but eh, who cares - in 1.1 you just lose control instead ;) )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I have a simple and most unelegant piece of test software (JAVA) I use for extracting data for phidgets (http://www.phidgets.com). I think the best way to do this would be to make a LUa-compatible phidgets .dll and call it from the export.lua directly. If anyone has done something like this or even remotely connected I'd be very interested to take a look.

Ok I guess that didn't answer the question. The first thing you want to do is to take a look at the http://www.lockon.ru frontpage, there's good info about LUA interface. If you're a programmer that's all you should need. If not, ask on the forums and hopefully someone can help you. Basically, Lock on sends data after every simulator frame and all you need to do is to build a tcp socket program (relatively simple) to receive the data and display it on the screen. This is useful if you have another computer; you can send the data over a network. However, as I said previously, displaying the text straight from the LUA interface through suitable .dll might be a better way for those with only one 'puter.

Is there any place where LoMAC-LUA export coders gather? I think there's lots of information to be shared.

My blog full of incoherent ramblings on random subjects: https://anttiilomaki.wordpress.com/

Thanks GGTharos!

Hi Andy,

Unfortunately I am not a programer! So I will have to wait until somebody writes some codes for using a second monitor!

Regards,

It's actually pretty simple to do. I program in JAVA, it's pretty inefficient and as I will be running physical instruments my code doesn't include any graphic output. However, the code in itself is really quite simple. I'm sure someone has already done it, take a look at this, for example:

http://www.opengc.org/

"In other news, both LO-MAC and IL-2 Sturmovik (with Aces expansion pack) now support network access. LO-MAC was purchased for me by a generous OpenGC user, and I picked up IL-2 on sale, so look for support for both of these in the not-to-distant future. A word of advance caution - I can't promise that I'll have time to add "steam" gauges for IL-2 or fighter-style gauges for LO-MAC, so don't be surprised if you're using the tried and true 777 PFD for a while."

Isn't that exactly what you're looking for?

My blog full of incoherent ramblings on random subjects: https://anttiilomaki.wordpress.com/

You don't need to be a programmer to do this. I don't know if your card features multimonitor support or not but I assume it does. First of all set up your TV/Monitor into the video card. Then adjust the settings for the second monitor. Once you've done that boot up LockOn. When the game has started adjust your Horizontal and vertical settings onto your Radar image or whatever part you're using it for . This is how its done with the Realsimulator MFD. So if you get an MFD then likewise same adjustments are necessary. Remember the image is the same in both monitors, what you are doing is adjusting the screen position. Hope this helps.

cheers

Subs

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

I am using F4Glass, but instead of using F4 as the information source, I take lomac information (via LUA), create a shared memory file which looks like the file created by F4, and F4Glass does the rest. I am using the BMS 2.0 memory format, so you need to get the BMS 2.0 patch Erwin put out earlier this year. (http://www.eagle9.nl/redirtest.asp?lokatie=/main/Downloads/default.asp)

More than happy to give it to anyone who wants it. Install and source code can be found here

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsljvly/setup.zip

Unzip the zip file and then run setup.

Once you've installed it you'll also find export.lua, this needs to be copied to the machine running lomac. (replacing the existing export.lua).

You'll need to modify this line

local host = "10.1.1.15"

And set the IP address to that of the machine running F4 Glass.

To get it all running:

1. start Lomac2F4Glass (on the second computer)

2. Start F4 Lgass (on the second computer) (you don't need the Data Mirror server as my code creates the shared memory file from lomac data.

3. Start Lomac on the second computer.

There is a test mode you can use

2. Start F4 Lgass (on the second computer)

3. Click Send Test Data, you should see the guages start moving.

Send me a PM if you have any questions.

Cheers

Peter

Re: Dual monitor support

Hajduk,

Try one of these...

This guys java prototype for a dedicated LockOn dashboard (I've used this one successfully; functions ok, but it needs better visuals and performance of the app is a bit slow)...

JLockOn

A college student's project...

LOMACGlass

And the last one has already been mentioned (adaptation of F4Glass).

Oh, and here's some threads over at the UBISoft LOMAC forum pertaining to your question...

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?q=Y&a=tpc&s=400102&f=38610606&m=442100335&p=1

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=400102&f=38610606&m=284102355&r=815101755

I've considered taking this on as a project similar to JLockOn, and have already investigated some of the design necessary, but I don't really think I'll have time or energy to jump into it. :-(

Hope this helped :)

-spearsd

I heard people using two monitors with single PC to display various data on 2nd monitor. My video card is NVIDIA 5900 and i need to kow how can I set up two monitors so that I could see radar screen on second monitor?

Thank you everybody for your support. I will try some of those options and will let you know how they work!

• 1 year later...
You don't need to be a programmer to do this. I don't know if your card features multimonitor support or not but I assume it does. First of all set up your TV/Monitor into the video card. Then adjust the settings for the second monitor. Once you've done that boot up LockOn. When the game has started adjust your Horizontal and vertical settings onto your Radar image or whatever part you're using it for . This is how its done with the Realsimulator MFD. So if you get an MFD then likewise same adjustments are necessary. Remember the image is the same in both monitors, what you are doing is adjusting the screen position. Hope this helps.

cheers

Subs

i would very much like to discuss this further, could you say for instance look at any part of the screen such as the conplete instrument panel on a seperate monitor?

if so can we please discuss what values need changing and where, cheers.

and as dodger asked, any pics of f4 glass etc would be great

• 3 weeks later...

trouble getting setup

I am using F4Glass, but instead of using F4 as the information source, I take lomac information (via LUA), create a shared memory file which looks like the file created by F4, and F4Glass does the rest. I am using the BMS 2.0 memory format, so you need to get the BMS 2.0 patch Erwin put out earlier this year. (http://www.eagle9.nl/redirtest.asp?lokatie=/main/Downloads/default.asp)

More than happy to give it to anyone who wants it. Install and source code can be found here

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsljvly/setup.zip

Unzip the zip file and then run setup.

Once you've installed it you'll also find export.lua, this needs to be copied to the machine running lomac. (replacing the existing export.lua).

You'll need to modify this line

local host = "10.1.1.15"

And set the IP address to that of the machine running F4 Glass.

To get it all running:

2. Start F4 Lgass (on the second computer) (you don't need the Data Mirror server as my code creates the shared memory file from lomac data.

3. Start Lomac on the second computer.

There is a test mode you can use

2. Start F4 Lgass (on the second computer)

3. Click Send Test Data, you should see the guages start moving.

Send me a PM if you have any questions.

Cheers

Peter

i have followed these instructions to the best of my ability.

i have copied export.lua into the first pc config export folder.

and modified the local host setting to the ip of the second pc.

i start lomac2f4glass on the second computer,

then start f4glass on the second computer.

??? then it says start lockon on the second computer,

should that be the first computer?

(as i don't think you would need lockon running on the f4glass second computer, a typo maybe).

if i run the test data from the lomac2f4glass it all works sweet and the ias ramps up, so it all works fine on the second computer.

for some reason the lockon/first computer is not sending the data or the second one is not receiving it.

i can ping both computers from one other, and have turned off my firewalls for the testing also.

i see people talking of a bms2.0 patch put i can only find the 1.03 release on the e9s website, can someone point me in the right direction please.

please help me get this setup , cheers.

i have followed these instructions to the best of my ability.

i have copied export.lua into the first pc config export folder.

and modified the local host setting to the ip of the second pc.

i start lomac2f4glass on the second computer,

then start f4glass on the second computer.

??? then it says start lockon on the second computer,

(as i don't think you would need lockon running on the f4glass second computer, a typo maybe).

if i run the test data from the lomac2f4glass it all works sweet and the ias ramps up, so it all works fine on the second computer.

for some reason the lockon/first computer is not sending the data or the second one is not receiving it.

i can ping both computers from one other, and have turned off my firewalls for the testing also.

i see people talking of a bms2.0 patch put i can only find the 1.03 release on the e9s website, can someone point me in the right direction please.

please help me get this setup , cheers.

Woops yes it should be.

Something that may need changing is the destination IP addresses in the LUA script. Its been a while. To help work out whats going wrong down ethereal from http://www.ethereal.com/, start that up on the second computer and see if the first computer is sending packets to the first one.

Cheers

Peter

So it is possible to have MFD/ABRIS view export afterall?

On the UBI forum there is some ED dev saying in 2004 that it is possible but not in the pipeline for the immediate future..

It seems to me that all those linked lockon glass cockpits projects are dead..

Btw. glass cockpit for lockon as a payware here:

http://www.simmeters.com/index.html

They know how to export gauges and even HUD but not MFD/ABRIS at the moment..

here's as thought,

was just having a thought, along the lines of what SUBS17 suggested and wondered of the possibility of viewing parts of the cockpit across networked computers, very similar to the way wideview does it for msfs.

maybe we could have an instance of lockon running on both the main game computer, and also on the second or instrument view computer.

forgive me if i oversimplify things here:

it would be a matter of sending the required data from the game computer via export.lua to the instrument computer, we know this is already possible.

with then game running on each computer they would each take care of the rendering of images displayed, and would have little impact on the main computers performance.

all we are missing is the program that can put the lua data back into the second computers lockon.

it would then just be a matter of adjusting where you were looking in the cockpit, as you do with the numberpad, where you hit "0 or ins" on the numberpad and then a number.

somehow, can't think how but you can then lock that view.

you would just start the game on both or all computers, making sure you selected the same aircraft from any mission, just as long as it was the same type plane.

i am sure this wouldn't be a huge program, the info is all there in the lua export, just need to be able to lua import to get the instrument computer sycronized to the lua data, this way you could look anywhere you liked on the instrument panel, at any gauge and maybe even external views, but thats another story, lets concentrate on the intruments for now.

bnepethomas, i recon you could do it...

imagine...

There are basically two options how to export MFD/HUD/Shkval TV:

1. The crude one which is map it from the video memory and send it on the second display (tv-out) and then by physical videosplitter send it again to small lcd panels. This is the rudimentary F4 method:

Pictures and diagrams here:

http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=922559#post922559

2. The second advanced approach is more like the "glass cockpit/panel" for FS series which needs some more coding and which sends out only data over the network..