Why is it necessary for StarForce?

Guest ruggbutt

Guest ruggbutt

To disable my DVD and CD drives so I cannot make backups of my stuff? The downloadable version is an executable. It doesn't run off of my drives.

This is unacceptable ED.

Guest ruggbutt

It disables the ability to copy a CD or DVD. Legal copies that I own that according to law in the US says I can make. I got the boxed set of Motley Crue's music to crash your car by and I don't wanna ruin the originals by carrying them in my truck.

crue.JPG

This is pure BS. Now we gotta hope that someone cracks SF just to be able to use our hardware again. I removed the SF drivers and FC to see if my system was still pooched. It is. Good thing I have an install saved before I installed FC.

Same thing happend to me with the 1 starforce game i bought.

I tried to warn you guys about this but noooooo!!! Noone listened. "Starforce is the uber copywrite protection". Truth is it is nothging short of a hijacker that takes over your IDE drivers and your dvd/cdrom. Glad it finally happend so now everyone can see the light. All I can say is LOL@the people who praise this software. (Edited)

Only way i fixed it was to format my comp. Enjoy your hours of reinstalling and updating drivers. GG Starforce.

Guest ruggbutt

Well Ace, I have my install imaged so it will take 20 minutes. As far as you being glad, I'll refrain from telling you where to go.

Haha im sorry it happened to you. But I am glad this is finally out there. This software should be against the law. Like i said one day there is going to be a class action over this crap. Till then all we can do is not buy games with this in it.

Again I'd be more glad if it happened to some of these guys who are praising this stuff like the second comming of christ.

Anti-Starforce

I've said this all along, but no one seems to listen until its too late.

I'm all for supporting ED, and I would gladly buy their products, any day, anytime. But, their use of starforce is ultimately going to affect my decision, and that's sad because I really want to support ED and all their future developments.

So, in the case of SF, I'm rooting for the bad guys .... and you know exactly who I mean.

Guest ruggbutt

Just so all of you know. I reverted back to a hard drive image I made w/Acronis that had a clean LOMAC 1.0 install on it. I used the burner to copy my CD's, no worries. I then installed Flaming Cliffs, applied my backed up registry and fired up 1.1. After I shut it down my burner wouldn't copy again.

What's ED's email addy? I'm gonna request a refund. 1.1 kicksass, but I'm friggin' done. No one messes w/my rig and the programs I paid for. Anyone have any idea how expensive Nero is? I do, and now it's been castrated.

So, in the case of SF, I'm rooting for the bad guys .... and you know exactly who I mean.

Me too.

Nero is freeware program AFAIK, at least I have such version. I don't have 1.1 yet but if I will finally be able to buy it I would like to copy it on my CD, I will be mad if I couldn't do that.

Ruggbutt try using StarF**k, maybe it will help you...

GROM- Grupa Reagowania Operacyjno Manewrowego

Same thing happend to me with the 1 starforce game i bought.

I tried to warn you guys about this but noooooo!!! Noone listened. "Starforce is the uber copywrite protection". Truth is it is nothging short of a hijacker that takes over your IDE drivers and your dvd/cdrom. Glad it finally happend so now everyone can see the light. All I can say is LOL@the people who praise this software. (Edited)

Only way i fixed it was to format my comp. Enjoy your hours of reinstalling and updating drivers. GG Starforce.

The problem was that everyone like you sounded too radical and often either didnt back up with correct facts or triped themelves up. People Like Stormin had long quit reading posts like these, and then BAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!! Starfarce did gave problems.

There was a comunication problem because when there are 2 sides in an cause usualy everyone digs in extremism.

I just regret that there was too much hysteria, and the consequence was that we all got nailed, as no one took the other side seriously.

You guys got activation and bug problems form starfarce and I got not buying it yet because of it and I believe the vas majority of potential 1.1 buyers decided to wait...and now forced to wait for real.

what a pitty... :(

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Honestly believe ED disd take the complaints seriously but used Starforce anyway to try protect their IP. Risk on this type of call is a resounding "we told you so".

Hopefully Ed will come up with details on whats being relesed via CD and if Starforce is involved in that.

Maybe we can all get down to some serious flying on what looks to be an outstanding add on.

I dont believe that. They had hopes it would work well, just look at the trouble they are now. They cant even sell the product, and since there is no money flowing, it as bad as taking losses.

Thing is they put too much faith if SF and when the comunity rose to give the warning, they did in the wrong way: result ED didnt gave much credibility to the protests and now we all got stuck together...how romantic is that? :D

My PC specs below:

Guest ruggbutt

I can now use my DVD burner to copy a DVD I made of LOMAC vids. Movies from LOC, Glowing AMRAAM and others. I found some freeware called DVD Decrypter. It works. Now I gotta find one that does CD's, cuz I'll be damned if I'm gonna convert 4 CD's over to mp3 just so I can burn them back to CD.

The strange thing is that this version of Starforce (there are differnt types of copy proitection by starforce cd/protection binary protection.) was meant to have nothing to do with cd/dvd drives at all.

It works fine for me, but then SH3 did too. I'm not defending Starforce or ED, but this is the first case of this with FC.

Anybody else havin this problem with FC?

Nate

Well, this thread definitely caught my attention. I have a Lite-on DVD Burner as well as a Lite-on CD Burner installed on my system. I have Silent Hunter III and Flaming Cliffs 1.1 installed and I was just able to burn a copy of my wife's Jennifer Lopez CD. I am using Nero Express 6 which came with my DVD burner. Things seem to be okay with my system (so far).

I am not a fan of Starforce and as someone pointed out in a different thread, the paying customers are the ones who end up getting the shaft. I don't like having it but unfortunately, it seems to be the way of the future.

Specs: AMD FX-60, ASUS A8N-E, 2 GB's Corsair PC 3200 DDR, Win XP SP2, ATI X1900 XTX

I have read that this is not the first time starforce had glitches like this. It seems like they havent cleared that bug all this time... simply unbelievable. :(

My PC specs below:

Just out of interest what's the advantage of software like Nero over the built in CD burning utility that Windows XP has?

First thing I did after downloading the three FC packages and installing them was burn them on CD. No problems at all with the built in Win XP utility at all.