Record AVI: using Mission Editor

Wanted to make a quick video showing the A-10 shooting Mavs at a tank column. I have used FRAPS but wanted to try the built-in method.

Couple questions:

Is the compression or recording process supposed to be so painfully slow?

Can someone recommend some ideal settings as far as framerate and quality. I was just gonna use the Xvid codec as it seemed to work well for the vids that the developers made, ie, Landing and 25T in actions videos?

Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

• ED Team

Given that the AVI conversion captures the track frame by frame, your FPS and quality settings will determine how fast/slow the process takes. For example, setting the FPS to 60 will take much longer to render the AVI than when set to 10. I generally set the FPS to 30 and quality to its highest. While this may take awhile, it provides good playback and a constant 30 FPS, regardless of the FPS when the track was recorded.

-Matt

Wanted to make a quick video showing the A-10 shooting Mavs at a tank column. I have used FRAPS but wanted to try the built-in method.

Couple questions:

Can someone recommend some ideal settings as far as framerate and quality. I was just gonna use the Xvid codec as it seemed to work well for the vids that the developers made, ie, Landing and 25T in actions videos?

Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

• ED Team

Couple questions:

Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

The AVI renderer fps is practically non-dependant on graphics settings so the best way is to use the highest settings.

I can not recommend any codec like DivX, XVid, wm9, etc because they are not lossless and use keyframes that slows down cutting.

As for me I prefer MJPEG as a master codec. It's not lossless but at 100% quality setting nobody can see the differences though the compression is much better than using lossless codecs.

The main trouble is that LockOn can not compress directly into MJPEG so it's necessary to use something like HuffYUV or lossless JPEG or uncompressed output. The new feature is to render using JPEG sequence to override 2 G limit of AVI file.

Then the row material is pre-cutted in VirtualDub deleting the needless footage and converted into MJPEG.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

• 3 months later...