Zu-23-2 WIP

MBot

I present the first WIP pictures of my Zu-23-2 model. The Zu-23-2 is a manualy operated twin 23mm AA-gun. It entered service in the 1960s and is still in use in the russian armed forces today ( as far as I found out ). The gun has been exported around the globe and has seen action in almost every conflict in the past 40 years.

Polycount is 2230. I know that this polycount is a bit excessive compared to the other ground vehicles and considering the small size of the gun ( the height reaches about the shoulder of a standing soldier ). But on the other hand some weapon models have up to 2000 polys too. Once I get the polycount limitations for groundobject I will modifie the model to match it.

@Chizh

I don't know if you got my PM ( most likely you just didn't have time to answer ), but I need answers to some questions in order to contionou:

- First the most important. Is ED interested in a Zu-23-2 model at all ? Should I continou working on it ? Perhaps it is already in development inside of ED or perhaps there just isn't interest in that gun.

- What are the polycount limitations for ground objects ? We have specs for airplanes, ships and weapon models, but no instructions for ground vehicles. Please also consider the small size of the Zu-23-2.

- How should I set up LODs ? Numbers and polycount for each stage.

- What texture size ?

- Does the model have to include the crew or will they be added later ( like the pilot to the airplanes ) ? I hope not, because I don't think I will manage to build humans...

- How do I setup animations ?

I think that are anough questions for the moment. For answers I would be very thankfull.

Awesome modelling that looks great!!

And yeah I think FC would benefit from having some optically aimed AA, it would look awesome seeing a large amount of optically aimed fire streaming into the sky. Yes you can do it with the ZSU, but the chance of survival will decrease rapidly lol :)

"I love smashing the crap out of those buggers on the ground who keep making a beeping sound on my RWR..... the bells the bells!!!!!!.... erm yeah.... I like destroying SAM sites, thats the main point"

Awesome modelling that looks great!!

And yeah I think FC would benefit from having some optically aimed AA, it would look awesome seeing a large amount of optically aimed fire streaming into the sky. Yes you can do it with the ZSU, but the chance of survival will decrease rapidly lol :)

I dunno - I did a twilight attack mission on a port on HL a while back. Something like six vulcans guarding it . . . . mmmmn . .

Watching all that tracer was awesome.

And once you know how (and know it's out there, and don't have anything more pressing to be doing :p ), it's pretty easy to dodge Shilka fire.

Hehe, it seems as I am not the only one who misses old style AAA. It is realy the main reason why I build the Zu-23-2, to have a AA-gun suited for barrier anti-aircraft fire. The radar guided systems modeled in lomac are all well but they miss the coolness factor. They only open fire once you are in range and fire very close to you. I usualy don't even notice it because the tracers fly right past you ( or take you down ). What I need is AAA that lights up the sky and presents you a warm welcome :)

And of course the Zu-23-2 will also give the "caucasian rebels" a plausible AA weapon. It just looks so wrong to have Shilka defending some guerilla hosting mountain village.

Anyone know what tracer colour the different AA-calibres have ? In Lock On all cannons fire yellow tracers, but many past sims had given russian 23mm ammo green tracers. 'Past sims' are a bad reference, so some real world references would be great. Wouldn't it be cool to have green tracers for the Zu-23-2 ?

Sure would be nice to have this. One of the aspects that I prefer to fly IL2 for is the AAA, I often get shot down watching it as it is so pretty, fly over an enemy convoy and they really light up the sky......

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry Death, you lose! It was Professor Plum....

I'd say just make the tracer fire yellow, so that it matches the tracers in LOMAC right now. In any case, it doesn't really matter; the Zu-23 is hardly the weapon to be used for making spectacular, Baghdad-style AAA effects. Heavier calibur weapons, maybe an 85 mm or a 100 mm weapon, would be much more adequete for lighting up the sky.

sigzk5.jpg

I present the first WIP pictures of my Zu-23-2 model. The Zu-23-2 is a manualy operated twin 23mm AA-gun. It entered service in the 1960s and is still in use in the russian armed forces today ( as far as I found out ). The gun has been exported around the globe and has seen action in almost every conflict in the past 40 years.

Polycount is 2230. I know that this polycount is a bit excessive compared to the other ground vehicles and considering the small size of the gun ( the height reaches about the shoulder of a standing soldier ). But on the other hand some weapon models have up to 2000 polys too. Once I get the polycount limitations for groundobject I will modifie the model to match it.

@Chizh

I don't know if you got my PM ( most likely you just didn't have time to answer ), but I need answers to some questions in order to contionou:

- First the most important. Is ED interested in a Zu-23-2 model at all ? Should I continou working on it ? Perhaps it is already in development inside of ED or perhaps there just isn't interest in that gun.

- What are the polycount limitations for ground objects ? We have specs for airplanes, ships and weapon models, but no instructions for ground vehicles. Please also consider the small size of the Zu-23-2.

- How should I set up LODs ? Numbers and polycount for each stage.

- What texture size ?

- Does the model have to include the crew or will they be added later ( like the pilot to the airplanes ) ? I hope not, because I don't think I will manage to build humans...

- How do I setup animations ?

I think that are anough questions for the moment. For answers I would be very thankfull.

Ah... so that's what you were doing in the recent weeks ;)

Nice job! I will always welcome "dumb" weapons to give me a greater chance of survival due to my bad dodging skills :p

But the heavy hitters don't create tracers as far as I know. Only black cloudes.

The ZU-23-2 does fire tracers. I sat 7 meters away from a battery of ZU-23-2's firing, way back in Jun-1990 in South Africa. Erm, yes i am that old :P.

met vriendelijke groet,

Михель

"умный, спортсмен, комсомолетс"

[sIGPIC]159th_pappavis.jpg[/sIGPIC]

[TABLE]SPECS: i9-9900K 32gigs RAM, Geforce 2070RTX, Creative XFi Fata1ity, TIR5, Valve Index & HP Reverb, HOTAS Warthog, Logitech G933 Headset, 10Tb storage.[/TABLE]

The ZU-23-2 does fire tracers. I sat 7 meters away from a battery of ZU-23-2's firing, way back in Jun-1990 in South Africa. Erm, yes i am that old :P.

Yes, what I ment is that the 85mm and 100mm don't fire tracers.

What colour did the tracers of the Zu-23-2 have ? And of how many guns did that battery consist ? Great to have someone with real life experiance here.

Yes, what I ment is that the 85mm and 100mm don't fire tracers.

What colour did the tracers of the Zu-23-2 have ? And of how many guns did that battery consist ? Great to have someone with real life experiance here.

I didnt have training on the Zu-23-2's myself neither do i know any exact technical details about the type of ammo which was used (in the training). If my memory serves me right the particular event was in Jun-1990.

The guns fired had a sequence of 5 rounds: 3 rounds was HE fragmaentation, then 1 AP, followed by a red HE tracer. Perhaps there were about 5 guns operating in the battery, positioned into a star-like formation.

When the evening firing occured i could remember seeing some red/orange tracers inbetween. However someone in this forum probably have had actual handson training/experience on ZU-23-2's?

met vriendelijke groet,

Михель

"умный, спортсмен, комсомолетс"

[sIGPIC]159th_pappavis.jpg[/sIGPIC]

[TABLE]SPECS: i9-9900K 32gigs RAM, Geforce 2070RTX, Creative XFi Fata1ity, TIR5, Valve Index & HP Reverb, HOTAS Warthog, Logitech G933 Headset, 10Tb storage.[/TABLE]

I've got a word from ED about ZU-23-2 - they already have it, and it looks better.

Soon we probably will get a few screens of ED's model of ZU-23-2.

"There are five dangerous faults which may affect a general: recklessness, which leads to destruction; cowardice, which leads to capture; a hasty temper, which can be provoked by insults; a delicacy of honor which is sensitive to shame; over-solicitude for his men, which exposes him to worry and trouble." Sun Tzu

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic2354_5.gif[/sigpic]

Hey, that is even better :) Excellent news!

Now there are still many other guns left to do, so I might pick up another project if I can find blueprints for it. Would you be so kind to ask if ED is interested in a model of the M1939 ( 37mm ), S-60 ( 57mm ) or KS-12 ( 85mm ) AA-guns ? If ED is interested I would still need the specs for that category of models tough.

Thank you for relaying communications.

no need to thank me - Thanks to you, Mbot, for your willing to help ED and LockOn community! I really mean it.

Yes I will ask ED modellers about models you requested. I'm sure they need your skills.

"There are five dangerous faults which may affect a general: recklessness, which leads to destruction; cowardice, which leads to capture; a hasty temper, which can be provoked by insults; a delicacy of honor which is sensitive to shame; over-solicitude for his men, which exposes him to worry and trouble." Sun Tzu

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic2354_5.gif[/sigpic]

Hey, that is even better :) Excellent news!

Now there are still many other guns left to do, so I might pick up another project if I can find blueprints for it. Would you be so kind to ask if ED is interested in a model of the M1939 ( 37mm ), S-60 ( 57mm ) or KS-12 ( 85mm ) AA-guns ? If ED is interested I would still need the specs for that category of models tough.

Thank you for relaying communications.

Yes. These models can be necessary for us. But, the prime task is an aircraft weapon. Therefore, I offer to familiarize with the list: http://forum.lockon.ru/showthread.php?t=7689

It is necessary to solve it I that tasks by a team by necessity. It will be good, if we shall decide together basic task. And then we shall work further, knowing about all problems.

How to you such offer?

Ok, sounds good to me. In that case I would like to give the FIM-92 Stinger a try.

Anyone has some good photos of the Stinger missle. Hi-res close up shots of it seems to be quite rare, I have only found a few so far.

Ok, sounds good to me. In that case I would like to give the FIM-92 Stinger a try.

Anyone has some good photos of the Stinger missle. Hi-res close up shots of it seems to be quite rare, I have only found a few so far.

Perfectly!

I wait the information on a course of work on mail: drum27@yandex.ru.

I mark as device in development.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...