SoftTH vs Eyefinity (split)

Moderator note: This thread has been split out from another due to being OT.

Which is different from just "3 monitors". ;)

For example, if you are using one of those monitors only to display aircraft instruments through 3rd party software, which is common.

What eyefinity does is allow multiple screens to act like a single screen, similar to Matrox Triplehead and SoftTH etcetera.

But keep in mind for utilizing "Eyefinity" or "surround gaming" you need Monitors that can be switched to the same specifications!

Example :

Three 1920x1080 at 60Hz can be arranged in a Eyefinity Display Group that act as one display for windows/and in Full-screen for DirectX applications.

AMD can do this with up to 6 monitors - Nvidia is limited to three.

But..

one 1920x1080 and two 800x600 can't be put together in a group. - so you can't use full screen mode.

The only tool to overcome these restrictions and that let you use full-screen in DirectX9 applications when you mix different monitors

is SoftTH. So if you really searching for each FPS you can get when using a multi-monitor set-up with DCS -(until your cpu isn't limiting your output) - using SoftTH should be a no-brainier.

With SoftTh there is no limitation-

Whatever you can hook up will work in full-screen:

Mixing Eyfinity with SoftTH:

( Congo_Toey )

Just crazy... :

Mixing Portrait with Landscape:

>>>>SoftTH NEWS

You even can use one AMD in one PCI-E slot and a NVIDIA in the second - they will work together - you just have to assign one of the cards as master that renders the image.

Edit:

So it's not really easy to decide which card is the best for your purpose , and serious consideration have to be done what exactly you want to display with it.

... have a look at GregPs little odyssey...;) : Anyone using NVSurround AND extracting MFCDs to USB LCDs?

I for example bought not long ago a HD6870 with six monitor outputs. (EYefinity six)

Just to make sure - whenever I upgrade to a better GPU I can plug it in in the second PCI-E Slot and I will not loose the possibility to use more than tree monitors at a time. - because I have plenty of display outputs available at my system for whatever may come.

The HD6870 will always come in handy as a display splitter when SoftTH is in use.

And I don't give a Sh**t at the AMD vs Nvidea battle... - can be that tomorrow I buy a Nvidia... why not ?! - If it is better/more powerful.

With SoftTH I can use both worlds! (of course I hope that Kegetys will expand the compatibility soon to dx11..)

But right now AMD delivers more power and flexibility for your money.

Edited by EtherealN
Split notice

But keep in mind for utilizing "Eyefinity" or "surround gaming" you need Monitors that can be switched to the same specifications!

Example :

Three 1920x1080 at 60Hz can be arranged in a Eyefinity Display Group that act as one display for windows/and in Full-screen for DirectX applications.

AMD can do this with up to 6 monitors - Nvidia is limited to three.

But..

one 1920x1080 and two 800x600 can't be put together in a group. - so you can't use full screen mode.

The only tool to overcome these restrictions and that let you use full-screen in DirectX9 applications when you mix different monitors

is SoftTH. So if you really searching for each FPS you can get when using a multi-monitor set-up with DCS -(until your cpu isn't limiting your output) - using SoftTH should be a no-brainier.

This is so not true.

My main screen is a Dell 27" with a max res of 1920x1200 but my side monitors are Acer 24's 1920x1080. Before that I had this 27", one Acer 24", and one Asus 19" (which runs at 1650x1080). All three were setup in Eyefinity fullscreen mode.

Eyefinity scales down to the lowest possible big rez able to be handled. In my case it's 5760x1080 - the bigger monitor scales down. It's not like it's stuck with the 1200 vertical res.

I've also tested lower Eyefinity res like 2400x600, 4950x1050 etc and have no problems running any game like that. And how about supporting current games that duses DX10, 11? BF3 for instance with SoftTH?

FUll screen mode as well to take advantage of CF - BF3 is glorious, so is RoF, hell any updated game where CF is supported. The issue isn't Eyefinity, it's CF.

Edited by WynnTTr

This is so not true.

Have a look at my posting again.

This is what I wrote:

Edit:

and I also named clearly that SofTH only supports DX8/DX9 up to now - but I see not real problem why Kegetys couldn't write a DX11-DLL hooking when he wants to. -patience-

... WynnTTr , what's your problem ? ... you even can mix Eyefinity with SoftTH. - you don't have to use it - but it can solve many problems that you face when having multiple monitors that meet not the same spec.

Edited by PeterP

But some are absolutely awful when doing it, which is worth considering when getting the parts. For example, my old BENQ display ends up with very noticeable pixel distortion unless it's a straight /2 scaling. Less of an issue with more high-end kit I expect, certainly less so with the newer BENQ CN/LED I bought with the new system.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I don't think I've come across a flat screen monitor that can't scale down in resolutions and is stuck with just the one native resolution.

But doing as 'scale down' will always come with a loose in image quality - and you can prevent this - by using SoftTH.

Sorry ! I didn't wanted to derail this thread by only mentioning SoftTH...

Again, misinformation. The only loss in quality I had was playing at a lower resolution. You cannot compare the sharpness of 5760x1080 to 4950x1050

The loss in quality is not one that is noticeable at all with modern monitors. My 19in is about 3 years old and I noticed no quality loss, blurriness whatever when playing with that with Eyefinity. I guess it would make a difference if you're playing with a flat screen that was just released back in the day flat screens were just being released.

I can understand you trying to plug something but be truthful about it.

You're also not mentioning that SoftTH doesn't have the same level of compatibility as Eyefinity/NVSurround in that games have to be able to support it i.e, what works with Eyefinity/NVS may not work with SoftTH, that you have to fiddle with it, no DX10/11, uses CPU resources.

BUT what SoftTH is - it's free and will give you 3 monitor fullscreen if you have mis-matching gpus.

I can understand you trying to plug something but be truthful about it.

WynnTTr,

listen - I don't want to sell you something ...

where I'm not truthful about? -

Did you ever tried to maintain the aspect-ratio across three different screens, while scaling the middle one down to meet the specifications of the others with "Eyfinity"...

I can exactly do this with SoftTh - and I'm sure AMD can this also - they just have to give use the ability to do this in their drivers. - but up to now they haven't .

So I'm glad to use SoftTH for this purpose - and many others problems I'm facing when running DCS.

BUT what SoftTH is - it's free and will give you 3 monitor fullscreen if you have mis-matching gpus.

I want to add that you can use as many monitors as your system can support - this can be 3 for the typical user but also 2,4,5,6,8.... 20.

Edited by PeterP

WynnTTr,

listen - I don't want to sell you something ...

where I'm not truthful about? -

Did you ever tried to maintain the aspect-ratio across three different screens, while scaling the middle one down to meet the specifications of the others with "Eyfinity"...

I can exactly do this with SoftTh - and I'm sure AMD can this also - they just have to give use the ability to do this in their drivers. - but up to now they haven't .

So I'm glad to use SoftTH for this purpose - and many others problems I'm facing when running DCS.

I want to add that you can use as many monitors as your system can support - this can be 3 for the typical user but also 2,4,5,6,8.... 20.

Yes. Like I said I scale down without any problems across three different monitor types, brands, resolutions. My current setup, as I said, was a Dell 27" ISP monitor with two Acer 24's TN type panels at the side. No problems whatsoever.

All these problems of scaling down is a red herring. IF and that's a big IF with modern monitors you have scaling down problems then that would be native to the monitor itself and to do with hardware rather than a softTH/Eyefinity/NVS problem.

If ever there was a problem with scales and aspect ratios that Eyefinity has then SoftTH has it too. Unless you're trying to tell me that SoftTH can suddenly make a 19" 1680x1050 screen suddenly do 5760x1080 in a three screen setup when added to two other 1920x1080 monitors. I didn't think so.

And Eyefinity can support as many monitors as you wanted to - but there's one caveat that applies to both - where are you going to plug all these monitors into? Eyefinity can support as many as there are DPs. So SoftTH can support wireless monitors?

See -- are you happy now? - (you) We got now our own thread!

And it's really ironic- because "SoftTH vs Eyefinity" isn't fitting at all ...you can combine both render methods together! :D

..but sad that my initial input was removed from the original thread...

...and You still don't understand what SoftTh can do for you-...

If ever there was a problem with scales and aspect ratios that Eyefinity has then SoftTH has it too. Unless you're trying to tell me that SoftTH can suddenly make a 19" 1680x1050 screen suddenly do 5760x1080 in a three screen setup when added to two other 1920x1080 monitors. I didn't think so.

I'm really sick of this "my Is better than yours " debate... think whatever you like..

but Yes, SoftTH can exactly do this! -

running three different screens in different resolutions as one big screen.

and myn things more - like also in-cooperate every monitor that is attached - doesn't matter if USB or at on a second and/or third card ... -even of a different brand.

Please inform yourself a little better before posting next time. There are many sources to do this - and I don't fell like writing everything again down only for you because you seem to be ignorant about having more possibilities.

If you are really interested to learn something about SoftTH - start here : SoftTH NEWS

Edited by PeterP

See -- are you happy now? - (you) We got now our own thread!

And it's really ironic- because "SoftTH vs Eyefinity" isn't fitting at all ...you can combine both render methods together! :D

..but sad that my initial input was removed from the original thread...

...and You still don't understand what SoftTh can do for you-...

I'm really sick of this "my Is better than yours " debate... think whatever you like..

but Yes, SoftTH can exactly do this! -

running three different screens in different resolutions as one big screen.

and myn things more - like also in-cooperate every monitor that is attached - doesn't matter if USB or at on a second and/or third card ... -even of a different brand.

Please inform yourself a little better before posting next time. There are many sources to do this - and I don't fell like writing everything again down only for you because you seem to be ignorant about having more possibilities.

If you are really interested to learn something about SoftTH - start here : SoftTH NEWS

Three resolutions on one big screen? Like how I had my 19" 1680x1050 on the left hand, my middle screen of 1920x1200 main screen, and right hand with my first 24 at 1920x1080 acting as all one desktop? Because that's what I had in Eyefinity.

That's my workspace profile. Start menu/quickbar on my central 27" that's at 1920x1200 and my side monitors running at their native res at 1920x1080 now. I can drag documents left and right and place them if needed. Hell I can even play a game on my main screen @1920x1200 while having my word docs open or watching youtube on the left and right screens - which I do when I procrastinate.

Or do you mean one big fullscreen of 5760x1080 - which Eyefinity does as well.

So far you haven't informed me of anything. You've blatantly ignored SoftTh's shortcomings in order to spruce it up. Like I said everything that SoftTH is supposed to do, Eyefinity/NYS does as well with less hassles.

If I'm missing something inform me instead of being blase about it. I've countered every point you've shot at me, you've countered none of mine.

THe ONLY advantage it has is that it's free and will work with your defunct gpu.

So far you haven't informed me of anything.
Its up to you what you do with the info that is available to you. But it still looks that you don't want to understand at all what's softh is about.

And that it can be used that can used together with Eeyefinity at the same time.

Did you read any of my posted links - and if yes - did you tried to understand them at all?

You don't sound really reasonable any-more.

acting as all one desktop?
Now you talk about Desktop performance or what?

I was talking of full-screen performance in DirectX.

And when taking your above example you will end up to downscale the 27" screen to a res that matches with the side ones - that will also cause that the aspect will not match.

So once again for the last time:

SoftTH Example for fullscreen resolutions:

1280x+1920+1280x1080 and DCS runs in fullscreen without downscaling - in true and native 3584x1080.

Another example :

DCS runs in fullscreen together with SoftTh and with Eyefinity.

Alright, alright, let's clear this up. I still don't quite follow.

If the side monitors are only capable of outputting a certain amount then surely SoftTH cannot make it so that the side monitors are displaying a larger fullscreen desktop.

For instance -

My gaming profile is 5760x1080 5.3, that's 3 screens each with 1920x1080, 16:9. If I had my old 19" monitor which ran at 1680x1050 16:10 then Eyefinity will make it 5040x1050 4.8.

Are you saying that SoftTH can maintain 5760x1080 resolution even with a monitors that cannot display 1920x1080? If so what do you see on screen then?

Further, what if I had my 27" 1920x1200 screen, 1 24" 1920x1080, 1 19" 1600x900, can I set SoftTH to do a triple fullscreen res of 5760x1200?

Aspect ratios - there's only one aspect ratio if you're going fullscreen and that depends on the res, 5760x1080 = 5.3. If you change it to 3584x1080 it becomes 3.3. How can you have different aspect ratios with fullscreen mode?

I'll have a look at that youtube when I get home. Can't view it at work.