ati catalyst 5.6 to bring 50% performance boost for LOMAC?

from theinquirer.net:

"The game that will benefit the most is Lock on: Modern Air combat where you will be able to see an incredible fifty per cent performance increase just by installing a new 5.6 Catalyst driver.

ATI catalyst AI enables texture compression of the clouds resulting with no visual impact and massive performance impact at the same time. Sounds good to us if it works like described. We know that Nvidia test team will definitely try to find any image quality flaws and problems and scream to the rest of the world if it found any difference. We would do it too so let's hope that all is correct here.

The new Catalyst comes in just a few days, it's free and I recommend you get it, if you have an ATI card, and enjoy it."

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23594

from theinquirer.net:

"The game that will benefit the most is Lock on: Modern Air combat where you will be able to see an incredible fifty per cent performance increase just by installing a new 5.6 Catalyst driver.

ATI catalyst AI enables texture compression of the clouds resulting with no visual impact and massive performance impact at the same time. Sounds good to us if it works like described. We know that Nvidia test team will definitely try to find any image quality flaws and problems and scream to the rest of the world if it found any difference. We would do it too so let's hope that all is correct here.

The new Catalyst comes in just a few days, it's free and I recommend you get it, if you have an ATI card, and enjoy it."

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23594

Sound promising, I'll try it for sure!

GROM- Grupa Reagowania Operacyjno Manewrowego

well it isn't 50% better all the time.. Only 50% better when there is the full overcast cloud layer. So when you lose the frames from flying around the heavy cloud layers they say that shouldn't happen any more. If it works out it will be great news for ATI owners for sure.

Any performance increase will be welcome, I'm looking forward to the driver release :cool:

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

No Way

I really can not believe this 50% increase, just because Lock On FC is very CPU depended and les GPU, so the probably misplaced the zero and it really should be a 5% performance increase which is already something very good.

i9 13900KS  (H150i), RTX 4090, 64 GB RAM @ 6000 MHz CL30, TM Warthog HOTAS + MFD's, MFG Crosswind, LG 48GQ900, Valve Index VR, TrackIR 5, Win11 Pro x64

Damn, here I am with a nVidia card (ATi's were too expensive back in the day) ;) Anyway, what's perhaps more important than the sheer performance improvement is the fact that ATi places importance on a niche game like LOMAC at all - one that's now over a year old at that! I like the implications of this for sims in general.

Guest ruggbutt
I really can not believe this 50% increase, just because Lock On FC is very CPU depended and les GPU,

Adding to the above: Since LOMAC is CPU intensive and if the 50% number is correct, you can only expect 50% increase on what the GPU (vid card) is outputting. This may amount to a 5% increase across the board.

IMHO that claim is very misleading, but it's advertising so it got everyone's attention.

Actually, LOMAC is pretty taxing on the GPU too. Setting up a mission with Overcast and Very High Water would halve the FPS of even the simplest mission.

Hopefully with the new drivers, we'll get some increase; I'd be extremely happy with 10-20%. Fifty percent seems too optimistic.

sigzk5.jpg

Anything to bring the frame rate floor higher (even if for environmental effects) would be most welcome. Personally, I think the reason so many people bitch about frame rates for LOMAC is the extreme variance of getting 80fps one second, and 8fps the next. Keep it coming :-)

yes spearsd i agree, i'm more interested in the "minimum" framerate.....getting a Sapphire X800XT PE AGP soon, should help with matters =)

Don't count on it. That's the card I have, and I still get spiked down low sometimes.

Buzz

quote BuzzU :

Don't count on it. That's the card I have, and I still get spiked down low sometimes.

--------------

that might be true, but i'm upgrading from a 9700pro so i'm hoping for some better performance with that X800

quote BuzzU :

--------------

that might be true, but i'm upgrading from a 9700pro so i'm hoping for some better performance with that X800

You'll get a boost all right. I'm just saying some slow downs will still happen. You'll just be getting them at higher fps..:)

Hopefully the 5.6 drivers will help the problem.

Buzz

yes spearsd i agree, i'm more interested in the "minimum" framerate.....getting a Sapphire X800XT PE AGP soon, should help with matters =)

damn skippy it'll boost things. I may not be saying this well, but the boost wasn't so much in the FPS. Yes- it was increased significantly, but it didn't go 4x higher or anything like that... What I'm liking is that I can just pile on more work and it doesn't seem to bother it. (everything on High except VisRing & medium mirrors) I also get dragged down performance wise from time to time. Seemingly over nothing once in a while, but that's another post.

Well, With all this talk, has anyone actually tried them yet??

And was there really an amazing boost of any sort?

Not that it matters for me, with my NVIDIA card, butI definitely still would like to hear if the drivers lived up to its claims.

KuostASigcopy.png

• 3 weeks later...

I'm patiently waiting for Omega's version to be released. Dunno how good they are but Omega skipped tweaking the 5.5's and waited for the 5.6's instead. Might not mean much but since he is a tester for ATI as well as making his own versions it might be a good indication.

But 50%?? I really don't see that happening. That wouldn't be a driver release...It'd be the eighth wonder of the world!!