A very good way to play lomac at your computers max potential

People must have noticed how fast applications or games run when you first install your windows fresh after a format. Well, if you use your computer for work with tons of software and want to still play lomac without any interruptions from other services etc...I recommend doing this:::

I actually found this tip at microsoft site before...can't find it now

-- Execute the RUN command

-- type msconfig

-- now select the services tab

-- click hide all microsoft services

-- now click deselect all

-- now go back to general tab

-- clear process win.ini and system.ini checkboxes.

-- remove the checkmark at load startup items radiobutton..(make the box empty).

NOTE:: I normally go back to services and turn on my norton auto protect service ONLY. well..its your choice

Now restart computer.

Play lomac with this restarted configuration. I felt a definate smoothness compared to normal config. but I cannot garuntee this trick to work. It depends on every setup. ex: a person with a very high end computer would not even be able to notice since he already has enough RAM to run all services and still provide for LOMAC's hungry appetite.

I RECOMMEND NOT TO BROWSE any websites or anything in this config since you may not be protected by software firewalls and antivirus.

AFTER You FINISH PLAYING:::

-- run msconfig

-- select NORMAL STARTUP

close and restart PC.

You are good to go.

:icon_jook

Cheers.

• Like 1

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

Hi all.

Yes, I use the run->msconfig everytime I play LOMAC/FC1.1. I was using enditall2, but to have a program running in the background that killed programs running in the background, it did not seem to make much sense.

FWIW, when I do run->msconfig, in the services tab I uncheck all(it leaves the neccessary one running) and I check two more, plug and pray and window audio. In the startup I uncheck all and only use the ltcycfg, profiler, and the saismart.

I found out about this 6 months ago by calling M$ and using one of my per incidences. It works well and like you are saying, I just go back to run->msconfig and under the general tab check normal startup and reboot, everything loads and I am good to go. OH yeah BTW, when you first uncheck all the services and startup items and reboot, it will be a little longer for your system to reboot and get to you login/password screen, this is normal. -KILSEK

thanx joe! yup! thats where I found it :D

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

I have to agree with Nate -> FSAutoStart is the way to go.

You can automate closing programs and services just as you can with msconfig AND you can have them started again when you exit your games.

Plus you can have FSAutoStart run the other programs you use with your game such as TrackIR, Joystick profile, voice comms, etc...

Use it for all your games not just Lock On or FS2004.

http://www.kensalter.com/fsautostart/

but I think the problem with those apps is you don't know which are safe to shut down or not. whereas with msconfig u can hide all ms services and deselect the remaining. and your computer is perfectly fine.

but still if you know what you are doing with the services disabling, I guess its a pretty useful program. You do not need to restart the computer everytime u try to play the game. :)

but I think the problem with those apps is you don't know which are safe to shut down or not. whereas with msconfig u can hide all ms services and deselect the remaining and your computer is perfectly fine.

Depending on a persons system hardware and OS setup it may NOT be safe to shutdown ALL non-MS services.

FSAutoStart does have info and recommendations that help you choose which are safe to shut down and which arent.

FSAS3.jpg

The How-2-Use guide for FSAutoStart leads you through how to use the program.

Everyone SHOULD know and understand what programs/services are running on their own systems.

A really good resource that helps people do that is TASK LIST PROGRAMS @ Answers That Work

Hi all.

Yes, I use the run->msconfig everytime I play LOMAC/FC1.1. I was using enditall2, but to have a program running in the background that killed programs running in the background, it did not seem to make much sense.

-KILSEK

With EnditAll, you kill the programs then you exit Enditall. It doesn't need to continue running in the background. :smile:

I am trying out FSAutoStart, and have created a profile. I set all the Services and Programs I want to kill. But I didn't set any application to run because I just want a generic profile to end unwanted programs. Then I will run the game I choose.

How do I get FSAutoStart to automatically 'restart' the items I set to 'Stop & Restart'??? My profile just kills them all, and I don't know how to tell it to restart the ones I said to restart.

Thanks...

EDIT:

Oops! I just tried it again and I saw that it said there was an error running my 'app', and then it re-started a bunch of stuff. So, I guess I have to specify an application to run even if I don't want to. Is there a way around this? Or is there a reason I shouldn't even be trying to use it this way?

I have used FSauto start a while back but didn't notice an overall increase in performance, are you guys getting much out of these two methods?

Is flying more smooth now or is the tweaks barely noticable?

cheers

I haven't seen any increase in performance. But I do believe my system is more stable while running the game - especially when running as a server for a LAN (or Internet) game. I always use the Defragment Memory option (which will show how much available memory there is for your game and game related programs).

How do I get FSAutoStart to automatically 'restart' the items I set to 'Stop & Restart'??? My profile just kills them all, and I don't know how to tell it to restart the ones I said to restart.

I think AutoStart keys on the "app" quiting to know when to restart the other services and programs.

Create your basic profile with one of your games and then all you need to do is change the game app to have a profile for each game.

The real strength of FSAutoStart is that you can "Auto Launch" the helper programs you use for each of your games - and the command line options allow you to choose the right profiles for your TrackIR, Joystick, etc. You can have multiple profiles for the same game too. For example you can have a LockOn MP profile that adds TeamSpeak client with a longer game start delay so you can connect to a TS server. Or another LockOn profile to use a different JS configuration. Now that I'm using JS profiles that are different for A2A and A2G for 1.1 it's even more useful than before.

With EnditAll, you kill the programs then you exit Enditall. It doesn't need to continue running in the background. :smile:

I vote for EndItAll, I ve been using it for years. (luckily i got it when it was 'freeware')

Just need a little trial an error to find the services which windows needs.

Fish's Flight Sim Videos

[sIGPIC]I13700k, RTX4090, 64gb ram @ 3600, superUltraWide 5120x1440, 2560x1440, 1920x1080, Warthog, Tusba TQS, Reverb VR1000, Pico 4, Wifi6 router, 360/36 internet[/sIGPIC]

I also have been using Enditall for about 2-3 years now. I tried FSAutoStart for about 5 minutes a year ago, but couldn't figure it out. But last Saturday I tried it again at the urging of WhiskeyRomeo. The How-to tutorial was short and fairly easy. It took about 30 minutes to id and set the Service and Programs, but then it worked great.

I also tried the msconfig that this thread talks about. I tried that, Enditall, FSAutoStart, and also doing nothing before running the game. I also did the msconfig thing and also then did the FSAutoStart thing at the same time. I think this probably closed the largest number of running programs/services. But after all these tests I don't think I noticed more than 3-5 increase in fps, if even that much. But the game did seem more stable, and less studdering.

For me, I'll probably stick with FSAutoStart. It closes much more than EnditAll, and has info about the programs/services you are deciding to close. And the big plus IMO is that it can restart stuff. I don't have to reboot to get things restarted. :cool:

• 4 months later...
Hi all.

but to have a program running in the background that killed programs running in the background, it did not seem to make much sense..............

So then you kill the enditall program when its done its job.

Fish's Flight Sim Videos

[sIGPIC]I13700k, RTX4090, 64gb ram @ 3600, superUltraWide 5120x1440, 2560x1440, 1920x1080, Warthog, Tusba TQS, Reverb VR1000, Pico 4, Wifi6 router, 360/36 internet[/sIGPIC]

I RECOMMEND NOT TO BROWSE any websites or anything in this config since you may not be protected by software firewalls and antivirus.

AFTER You FINISH PLAYING:::

-- run msconfig

-- select NORMAL STARTUP

close and restart PC.

You are good to go.

:icon_jook

Cheers.

Or you do it another easy way and install LO on another partition with a separate OS and just the minimum of drivers to run the show.

When booting, just choose if you either want to do your normal stuff (surfing web, emails, photo edtiting, writing letters etc) or if you want to play LO.

I have one LO 1.02, one LO FC 1.1 and a third Win2000 partition on my 30 GB HDD, and both LO installations are without Antivir, Firewall, Office, except TeamSpeak and ICQ for comms. I don't use IE on my LO installations.

Once a week I run my Antivir to scan all partitions, just to be sure.

No hazzle, always a crisp OS. And a smooth running LO !

kind regards,

Raven....

[sigpic]http://www.crc-mindreader.de/CRT/images/Birds2011.gif[/sigpic]

I think throwing in another gig of RAM is more suitable to improve performance in lockon. I didn't notice any difference with fstarter, maybe 'cause I disabled all not necessary services anyway. Before I start lockon I free up memory with "cacheman", that helps a bit.

But be carefull with cacheman... once I hit the wrong shortcut and recovered my memory while playing lockon... not good :D